WW3
Wink 
(05-12-2022, 09:33 AM)Jacobthebaggie Wrote: It's great here in affluent Tipton Mon.

They won't let me in! Smile
(05-12-2022, 09:17 AM)Jacobthebaggie Wrote: Here's a tip lads. Talk to people that have settled here recently from all over the globe. There's plenty of them and they all say it's great here and love it. This country isn't as shit as you make out. A lot of you have the same outlook on our football club. Top your glass up a bit ffs

I think some conflate not liking their country with not liking an awful government with no integrity. The problem is the latter has an adverse affect on people’s outlook on the U.K. 

It’s a lazy criticism levelled at those who don’t agree with the direction the country is heading politically.
(05-12-2022, 09:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 08:54 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 10:09 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: To me it’s still all a very welcome distraction for many economies and their respective governments who are faced with a staggering cost of living crisis, which they can very neatly pin on energy supply volatilities as a result of this conflict. When in truth, inflation was beginning to bite way before all of this.

Again, inflation has benefits for strong economies who have been printing money like there is no tomorrow. You have to ask why so many of them are keen to support the conflict economically, whilst failing to address issues at home. When the pandemic had a far greater impact than the war is currently drawing. It’s all got to be paid someday, and the only way to do that is by enforced productivity, and passing on debt. It’s an increasingly strange world we live in.

Ignore the other posts on this thread, just read this one.

Whilst ignoring the vast sums of money Brexit is costing the country before, during and after the pandemic.

The borrowings since 2008's botched response to the financial crisis dwarf Brexit costs. The 2008 borrowings are in turn are dwarfed by Covid related borrowings. UK inflation is driven by monetary incontinence, Covid supply chain issues and (by far the greatest degree) by energy prices. The effect of Brexit on borrowing and inflation is the equivalent of pissing in an olympic-sized swimming pool.
(05-11-2022, 07:08 PM)Loanee Wrote: I don’t think the British are as proud or strong as the Ukrainians, I think we’d have got blown away in a few days if Russia had invaded us like they did in Ukraine

(05-12-2022, 09:35 AM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 09:33 AM)Jacobthebaggie Wrote: It's great here in affluent Tipton Mon.

They won't let me in! Smile

You see ,this country isn't bad to everyone  Big Grin Big Grin
(05-12-2022, 09:35 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 09:17 AM)Jacobthebaggie Wrote: Here's a tip lads. Talk to people that have settled here recently from all over the globe. There's plenty of them and they all say it's great here and love it. This country isn't as shit as you make out. A lot of you have the same outlook on our football club. Top your glass up a bit ffs

I think some conflate not liking their country with not liking an awful government with no integrity. The problem is the latter has an adverse affect on people’s outlook on the U.K. 

It’s a lazy criticism levelled at those who don’t agree with the direction the country is heading politically.

It's actually because you seem to hold vast swathes of Britain in contempt for exercising their democratic right to vote. I've spent plenty of time in countries where that right doesn't exist. I know which I prefer.

Fuzzbox - Are you serious that a better immigration system is the only reason that refugees may not wish to stay in France, aka the country which nearly elected Le Pen?!
(05-12-2022, 11:00 AM)Squid Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 09:35 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

It's actually because you seem to hold vast swathes of Britain in contempt for exercising their democratic right to vote. I've spent plenty of time in countries where that right doesn't exist. I know which I prefer.

Fuzzbox - Are you serious that a better immigration system is the only reason that refugees may not wish to stay in France, aka the country which nearly elected Le Pen?!

Arf because those who voted to leave have been so conciliatory towards others who disagreed with the result. Democracy doesn’t just stop after one side of the argument gets what it wants, and the other side should meekly ‘shut up and go away’ as a former education Secretary might say. There will always be a sizeable proportion of the country who are against Brexit and won’t be mealy mouthed in accepting it. For 40 years Eurosceptics campaigned to leave so don’t be surprised or overly offended if you get similar dissenting voices from those who didn’t want to leave. Let’s see what great benefits await us in the next five years… so far it’s very slim pickings )mainly because we can’t find anyone to pick them as they’ve all left).
(05-12-2022, 09:45 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 09:03 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 08:54 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 10:09 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: To me it’s still all a very welcome distraction for many economies and their respective governments who are faced with a staggering cost of living crisis, which they can very neatly pin on energy supply volatilities as a result of this conflict. When in truth, inflation was beginning to bite way before all of this.

Again, inflation has benefits for strong economies who have been printing money like there is no tomorrow. You have to ask why so many of them are keen to support the conflict economically, whilst failing to address issues at home. When the pandemic had a far greater impact than the war is currently drawing. It’s all got to be paid someday, and the only way to do that is by enforced productivity, and passing on debt. It’s an increasingly strange world we live in.

Ignore the other posts on this thread, just read this one.

Whilst ignoring the vast sums of money Brexit is costing the country before, during and after the pandemic.

The borrowings since 2008's botched response to the financial crisis dwarf Brexit costs. The 2008 borrowings are in turn are dwarfed by Covid related borrowings. UK inflation is driven by monetary incontinence, Covid supply chain issues and (by far the greatest degree) by energy prices. The effect of Brexit on borrowing and inflation is the equivalent of pissing in an olympic-sized swimming pool.

No!

They've only just finished building the thing!
(05-12-2022, 11:00 AM)Squid Wrote: It's actually because you seem to hold vast swathes of Britain in contempt for exercising their democratic right to vote. I've spent plenty of time in countries where that right doesn't exist. I know which I prefer.

I didn't say it was the only reason - for instance language is another factor and yes, a more tolerant population and multiculturalism - but I do think it's the main reason.

If there was a preference, I'm sure many would choose the UK over France, but is the preference enough to risk their life and cross the channel?

But choosing the UK and living and working against choosing France and facing quick deportation - that's different. If I was young enough I may be tempted to risk crossing the channel.

Le Pen wouldn't be a huge factor though, would it? The Uk has had generations of immigration when local hostility was much worse than in modern-day France. As much as I'm not a fan of Le Pen, if I were an immigrant, I would rather live there than risk my life in Afghanistan or Syria!

This is not me knocking the UK, I've lived in enough countries to appreciate what it offers. It's more just saying there are other reasons why immigrants travel across a lot of western countries and then risk their lives to cross the channel.

Believing France is so bad it's worth risking your life to escape to the UK is just not the truth. Smile

(Although, I wouldn't live there....)