Stokes - New Skipper
(05-19-2022, 09:44 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: Archer now out for the season. Not much of a surprise I guess.

I doubt he'll ever play red ball cricket again. Like Tymal Mills, he's probably made for T20, even the 50 over ODI can break him. It was a mistake to put so much reliance on him being a spearhead for the attack. We need to find a quick bowler or two who aren't in the hydro-pool most of the time.
(05-19-2022, 12:02 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 09:44 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: Archer now out for the season. Not much of a surprise I guess.

I doubt he'll ever play red ball cricket again. Like Tymal Mills, he's probably made for T20, even the 50 over ODI can break him. It was a mistake to put so much reliance on him being a spearhead for the attack. We need to find a quick bowler or two who aren't in the hydro-pool most of the time.

You can thank Mr Silverwood for that. The way Archer was used on that NZ tour straight after the Ashes was borderline abuse.
(05-19-2022, 12:36 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 12:02 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:

You can thank Mr Silverwood for that. The way Archer was used on that NZ tour straight after the Ashes was borderline abuse.

The GOATs have seemed reluctant to bowl the grunt overs in recent years. Archer, Wood and Stokes have all been over-bowled at times, when runs were flowing from the bat and bowlers' career figures were being eroded. That kind of hierarchical approach has to stop. Use each bowler in the most effective way, even if it means Broad has to bowl 10 overs uphill into the wind on a hot day and get tonked for 50 runs. I hope Stokes will be a stronger captain than either Cook or Root.