Manchester
Leeds has a bigger population than Manchester. I think Sheffield does as well. It's not even the 2nd city in the north let alone the whole of England. 
Brum population 1m. Manc less than 500k.
(04-09-2022, 04:21 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 07:13 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 07:02 AM)SophLad Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 06:41 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: In population terms Brum is bigger and that isn’t a wonderful place either.

Personally as Manchester has two hugely prominent football clubs and is entrenched with the Britpop music culture I think many consider it the 2nd city anyhow.

Brum lags far behind culturally.
Absolute bollocks. The only people who think Manchester is the 2nd city are from Manchester, the stupid swaggering gobshite twats.
I know Mancbaggie... and I can confirm the truth of this profound observation.

Just wait till I see you next you bumbling old buzzard

(04-09-2022, 09:22 AM)hudds Wrote: Brum is the second city (there used to be a set of new plays on national telly from Brum studios called "Second City Firsts" which is a helpful reference).

Manchester a miles better city than Brum, mind.

(04-09-2022, 07:13 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 07:02 AM)SophLad Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 06:41 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: In population terms Brum is bigger and that isn’t a wonderful place either.

Personally as Manchester has two hugely prominent football clubs and is entrenched with the Britpop music culture I think many consider it the 2nd city anyhow.

Brum lags far behind culturally.
Absolute bollocks. The only people who think Manchester is the 2nd city are from Manchester, the stupid swaggering gobshite twats.
I know Mancbaggie... and I can confirm the truth of this profound observation.

I agree and confirm.  Plus he swills lager.

You too, Norman Bloody Lamont
When I see you again we'll be in the prem. And you can buy me that pint you owe me...
The fact we have people from Brum and the BC bigging up Manchester and slating their own area sums up the difference between the West Midlands and Greater Manchester.
Absolutely Smile
(04-10-2022, 03:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The fact we have people from Brum and the BC bigging up Manchester and slating their own area sums up the difference between the West Midlands and Greater Manchester.

True. Would never get that from other regions.
(04-10-2022, 03:04 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-10-2022, 03:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The fact we have people from Brum and the BC bigging up Manchester and slating their own area sums up the difference between the West Midlands and Greater Manchester.

It’s so self defeating and depressing. Constantly looking back rather than forward and slating anything new and innovative seems to be the default position of many WM folk.
Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
Derek Hardballs Wrote:The fact we have people from Brum and the BC bigging up Manchester and slating their own area sums up the difference between the West Midlands and Greater Manchester.

This. The reasons the other areas shout so loudly is to cover an inbuilt insecurity. We feel no need to crow. Just like our musical heritage (2nd to none, pro rata of populace); Our bands are just bands, they don't claim to be a Liverpool band or a Manc band, they stand up on music alone. I've worked all over and you can enjoy yourself wherever. Liverpool was always a great night out but I find the locals very cliquey. Manchester is fine but no better or worse than Brum. Leeds and Sheffield are both great. But whether you like restaurants, bands, beers or simply green spaces, Brum is the 2nd city on population count. All other reasons are no more valid than saying York or Stratford are the second city because they are rich in heritage.
(04-10-2022, 03:29 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
Derek Hardballs Wrote:The fact we have people from Brum and the BC bigging up Manchester and slating their own area sums up the difference between the West Midlands and Greater Manchester.

This. The reasons the other areas shout so loudly is to cover an inbuilt insecurity. We feel no need to crow. Just like our musical heritage (2nd to none, pro rata of populace); Our bands are just bands, they don't claim to be a Liverpool band or a Manc band, they stand up on music alone. I've worked all over and you can enjoy yourself wherever. Liverpool was always a great night out but I find the locals very cliquey. Manchester is fine but no better or worse than Brum. Leeds and Sheffield are both great. But whether you like restaurants, bands, beers or simply green spaces, Brum is the 2nd city on population count. All other reasons are no more valid than saying York or Stratford are the second city because they are rich in heritage.

The West Midlands needs to shout about it’s successes more. It’s lovely being all modest and self depreciating but it actually holds the area back.
(04-10-2022, 03:04 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

But Manchester is miles better than Brum.  Newcastle better than Manchester.  Edinburgh better than Newcastle.  London better than Edinburgh.  But noweer's better than Kwarry Bonk.  It ay gorra traern staertion but theer's one down the Lye.  Bostin.

Yo saft mawkins.
As many others having lived in/near both, I would say Manchester is the "better" city. But neither are my cup of tea.

Where Manchester has been gentrified to the point of being one large Shoreditch, Birmingham never bothered aside of the Jewelry Quarter.

Mancs are teeth grinding obnoxious, up their own arses, and by and large an unpleasant lot. But the wider Lancashire area, Bury/Bolton etc have warm, friendly, simple people and I have found a really nice home here.

The local towns are regenerating well after a blackhole of funding going into Manchester for 2 decades, and they are great communities with good infrastructure and amenities to live a nice local life. Then you look at the black country, and north Brum, and you see a place with no life, no gentrification at all and dying communities, and young people moving away in swathes.

All in all Brum will always be the second city, but in terms of the wider areas Manchester is miles ahead.