Don't over-indulge on the news folks
Yep, at least Albion can't ruin this weekend for me! Big Grin
(02-25-2022, 04:40 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Yep, at least Albion can't ruin this weekend for me! Big Grin

*As they announce Bruce left and Pardew with Gould as an assistant will replace him.... Big Grin Big Grin
(02-25-2022, 03:44 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I have friends very close to mental breakdown with worry at the moment. Tried explaining why it's unlikely to be as catastrophic for the world as some say. But we all know the mind doesn't work like that.

I consume a lot of news, but I'm aware it's always twisted, distorted amd designed to grab attention.

I think about this a lot. Many more people seem more anxious than I remember ( just speaking with friends and family) and I think it’s the availability of 24 hour news. This situation is serious, and then I think back to all the conflicts that have been going on since I was about 17 (1982). There have been dozens of conflics around the world, many involving the Brits, and I think back to how I felt over the years and realise ,mostly, I used to read about it in a tabloid and then forget about it, carrying on playing and watching football, drinking with my mates etc.,. Maybe because I was younger and ignorance is bliss.
If this pans out, like so many times before, it will become ‘just’ another news item you hear about occasionally and you become numb to it when it doesn’t directly affect you. If that makes sense.  I don’t mean to make light of this, just my way of trying to explain it.
It’s bad and wrong what Putin is doing, but I can’t and won’t get to mixed up in it as it will send you potty. I prefere to focus on my family and my health. Also when are we going to win a match. Must stay sane and not worry, but it’s the hope that kills you. Stay safe all.
(02-25-2022, 04:45 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 04:40 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote: Yep, at least Albion can't ruin this weekend for me! Big Grin

*As they announce Bruce left and Pardew with Gould as an assistant will replace him.... Big Grin Big Grin

Crikey. The thought of that happening is enough to get sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
On the other hand we are witnessing a piece of history that in time will rank alongside

The German annexation of the Sudetenland in 1938

the German annexation of Alsace Lorraine in 1940

the Russian invasion of Hungary in 1956

the ending of the Prague Spring with the invasion of Czechoslovakia by Russian and other Warsaw Pact countries in 1968

the Russian invasion of Afghanistan 

and the attempt by France and the UK to take back the Suez canal from Egypt which led to the Suez crisis and potentially a war with the USA. 

It's history in the making and probably a more rewarding watch than tonight's Graham Norton which features RuPaul,  Olly Alexander, some actress I've never heard of,   and an hysterical audience who will whoop at and applaud a loud fart.
(02-25-2022, 03:32 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Keep yourselves informed, maybe watch half an hour, but no more. 

As some of you know, I work in the media, and rolling news etc does you no good, where you'll be fretting over something out of your control. 

Have a good weekend all, try to laugh and live and love, and be thankful the friggin Albion aren't playing!

Good post SB, thanks.

I'm not fretting, and not over indulging, i'm just incredibly sad with the news coming from the Ukraine.   Makes me wonder if we will ever really progress as a species (but then I was a sociology graduate back in the day Smile waster).

I have been surprised that I can see a clear cause and understand the motivation to take up arms.   Its not often you can see black and white choices, good versus bad and I think i would feel the need to fight myself if I were in Kyiv right now.  So many civilians will die and Putin's speech has become quite hate filled over the last hour yet the West is sitting on it's hands.   Sanctions feel like something Chamberlain and Halifax would have pursued, there is a element of cowardice about it. Putin has made veiled threats about nuclear retaliation, but that will always be there whilst he is in power.

As for Russia's future?  Well they have threatened Finland and Sweden this afternoon and when the only country backing your actions is Myanmar you know your on the wrong side of history. If Putin's megalomania grows with victory war could become inevitable.

But I agree. Catch up with the news, feel saddened, log off then have fun with the family. Make the most.
(02-25-2022, 06:01 PM)Offside Wrote: On the other hand we are witnessing a piece of history that in time will rank alongside

the ending of the Prague Spring with the invasion of Czechoslovakia by Russian and other Warsaw Pact countries in 1968

and the attempt by France and the UK to take back the Suez canal from Egypt which led to the Suez crisis and potentially a war with the USA. 

It's history in the making and probably a more rewarding watch than tonight's Graham Norton which features RuPaul,  Olly Alexander, some actress I've never heard of,   and an hysterical audience who will whoop at and applaud a loud fart.

Loud farts are pretty good actually.

(02-25-2022, 06:01 PM)Offside Wrote: On the other hand we are witnessing a piece of history that in time will rank alongside

Loud farts are pretty good actually.