The failing under 4 managers myth
As we know the wheels came off properly under Pulis in 2018 and we found ourselves out of the  Prem.

An inexperienced Moore got us galvanised, and lost his way late in the season and Jimmy Shan saw us to the playoffs, where we then lost the likes of J Rod and Dawson.

Next season Bilic got us promoted. Yes, the second half of the season was very wobbly, but we went up automatically.

However, like many a side with 2 years in the champ we had lost our squad quality for the Prem. Bilic recruited poorly, with loans filling too many places, and when we saw ourselves low in the table the board panicked and he got the bullet.

Allardyce, was supposed to save us, but  started too slowly and did improve us, but too little too late, and again loanees made up the bulk of the team.

This season our utterly hopeless inexperienced Chinese chairman decided to get in a left-field manager, who started well with a totally radical style of football he wished to engrain into the club. It didn't work out, most probably because the likes of footballers like Diangana and Phillips have been coached to actually pass the ball rather than lump it forward.

Of course, some players will go past their sell by date, but I doubt they wish to fail. It's quite simply they aren't good enough. It's also the system they are asked to play in.

What we've seen at our club isn't abnormal- it happens. It's the chairman who carries the can for recent underperforming mainly.

It doesn't mean it's 1986 all over again. It may be a stay like 73-76 or even another one or two season one, like we've encountered in the past 20 years.

All I know is the club needs senior football people with knowhow- Bruce seems a sensible appointment, who will weed out the under performers some of you seem to want to boo, and he needs backing and patience.
4 managers, 4 different styles. After 6/12 months of each we end up with a shit, middle block, no character, no identity.

The problems are deeper. Thats the reality unfortunately. Us having a piss poor relegation, a failed promotion attempt and a soon to be capitulation, with only 1 promotion, which was widely regarded to be fucking lucky in the end as a success, doesn't exactly inspire me to keep the status quo, short term mentality.

I disagree as we both know, with regards to your assessment of the previous manager. But I do wish Brucey the best if luck and I hope he finds a winning solution, so we can all enjoy our team winning in the short term, regardless of what we all want long term.
(02-15-2022, 08:08 PM)Lurker#3 Wrote: 4 managers, 4 different styles. After 6/12 months of each we end up with a shit, middle block, no character, no identity.

The problems are deeper. Thats the reality unfortunately. Us having a piss poor relegation, a failed promotion attempt and a soon to be capitulation, with only 1 promotion, which was widely regarded to be fucking lucky in the end as a success, doesn't exactly inspire me to keep the status quo, short term mentality.

I disagree as we both know, with regards to your assessment of the previous manager. But I do wish Brucey the best if luck and I hope he finds a winning solution, so we can all enjoy our team winning in the short term, regardless of what we all want long term.

It has all been very short term thinking. 
My only hope is with Lai having more of an interest in his investment, Gourlay overseeing day to day stuff and a super experienced boss in Bruce, things will gradually improve.