Is there any excuse not to make the top two?
We will finish where we finish on merit, nothing more and nothing less.
(02-03-2019, 09:04 AM)Cola Wrote: We will finish where we finish on merit, nothing more and nothing less.

But this logic means that positions are set in stone from the outset of a season / transfer window. What is the point of a coach / manager if it’s not to improve / make the team better than the sum of its parts? Where a team finishes is not on its own an accurate measure of its quality.
(02-03-2019, 09:09 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 09:04 AM)Cola Wrote: We will finish where we finish on merit, nothing more and nothing less.

But this logic means that positions are set in stone from the outset of a season / transfer window. What is the point of a coach / manager if it’s not to improve / make the team better than the sum of its parts? Where a team finishes is not on its own an accurate measure of its quality.

It really is. Like when we went down. We deserved too. We were shit. If we go up it’s because we were good enough. If we don’t its because we weren’t.
(02-02-2019, 07:32 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Put aside sentiment I cannot see any excuse for us missing out. I still hold out hope we do but our defensive frailties brought about by questionable tactics of over playing at the back is holding the team back.

Other that there's around another 10 - 12 teams that harbour ambitions to get promoted too. On paper I wouldn't swap our squad for any of the other sides, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should, or will finish in the top 2. That's the beauty of sport. Who'd have thought we'd be 2 - 0 down to the Windies or beat a rampant Ireland in Dublin.

Sports not black and white, or clear cut, and that's why it's so enthralling.
(02-03-2019, 10:11 AM)ElbowGrease1973 Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 07:32 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Put aside sentiment I cannot see any excuse for us missing out. I still hold out hope we do but our defensive frailties brought about by questionable tactics of over playing at the back is holding the team back.

Other that there's around another 10 - 12 teams that harbour ambitions to get promoted too. On paper I wouldn't swap our squad for any of the other sides, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should, or will finish in the top 2. That's the beauty of sport. Who'd have thought we'd be 2 - 0 down to the Windies or beat a rampant Ireland in Dublin.

Sports not black and white, or clear cut, and that's why it's so enthralling.

Quite. Look at Everton. Got their highly rated manager, spent loads of money - they're dire. Fans saying Allardyce might still be there.

Most on here were predicting Stoke to cream this division. Hasn't happened.
No doubt in summation we have the best squad. What we don't really have is those 2 or 3 players with the bit extra. Barnes was one but too young to do it every week, Gayle could be but hes injured too much like Phillips. Also players like HRK and Bartley, Brunt wouldn't get near some of the top championship teams.

Also quite frankly this insistence of playing the ball out from the back without looking like they know how to do it or have a clear plan when they do has cost us probably 5-8 points. That's a manager who is not the best in the championship by some distance yet but over time may well be.

So best squad, but the match day set up and in game approach is not. A long way to go but we need to get on a roll fast.
(02-03-2019, 11:00 AM)I billybassett Wrote: No doubt in summation we have the best squad. What we don't really have is those 2 or 3 players with the bit extra. Barnes was one but too young to do it every week, Gayle could be but hes injured too much like Phillips. Also players like HRK and Bartley, Brunt wouldn't get near some of the top championship teams.

Also quite frankly this insistence of playing the ball out from the back without looking like they know how to do it or have a clear plan when they do has cost us probably 5-8 points. That's a manager who is not the best in the championship by some distance yet but over time may well be.

So best squad, but the match day set up and in game approach is not. A long way to go but we need to get on a roll fast.

Would fancy us to push for top 2 if we still had Barnes