Karlan Grant
Those with a modicum.of intelligence should surely be able to differentiate criticism from 'abuse' ... They aren't interchangable and are different things

Some of what Romaine Sawyers got was definitely abuse (not referring to anything racist) where fans contacted him directly on social media and sent some hostile, nasty, & vitriolic 'abuse'

Grant has had none of that nor taken stick at games

Criticising a players performance amongst and with other fans is not abuse
Criticising a players performance amongst and with other fans is not abuse

Shouting at him from 10 rows behind the goal in earshot that he's a w****r an to f off is though
Why do we consider Grady above grant. Grady goals 0 assists 0, Grant 1 goal 2 assists
(09-21-2021, 10:14 AM)petty sniper Wrote: Why do we consider Grady above grant. Grady goals 0 assists 0, Grant 1 goal 2 assists

I will have to take your word for it that Grant has two assists, I can't remember the build up to all of our goals.

I've said it before and I will say it again and again and again if necessary- Diangana is massively over-rated by much of our fan base. 

I banged on about how good Townsend was when most others were calling him league one level now most people understand his worth.

How long till they catch on to Grady being a lightweight, ineffective show pony? A nutmeg on the touchline or turning Curtis Davies on the halfway line is great on the eye but they don't get you goals and they dont win you games.

Neither Grant nor Diangana are good enough for what we need.
(09-21-2021, 10:30 AM)Atomic Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 10:14 AM)petty sniper Wrote: Why do we consider Grady above grant. Grady goals 0 assists 0, Grant 1 goal 2 assists

I will have to take your word for it that Grant has two assists, I can't remember the build up to all of our goals.

I've said it before and I will say it again and again and again if necessary- Diangana is massively over-rated by much of our fan base. 

I banged on about how good Townsend was when most others were calling him league one level now most people understand his worth.

How long till they catch on to Grady being a lightweight, ineffective show pony? A nutmeg on the touchline or turning Curtis Davies on the halfway line is great on the eye but they don't get you goals and they dont win you games.

The thing is people have seen Grady perform superbly well at this level and contribute with plenty of assists and some goals and looking nothing like an ineffective show pony so they're willing to give him time. Grant doesn't have that credit in the bank. Grady does need to start performing soon however, we can't wait forever for him to regain some form.
(09-21-2021, 10:37 AM)TartanRug Wrote:

The thing is people have seen Grady perform superbly well at this level and contribute with plenty of assists and some goals and looking nothing like an ineffective show pony so they're willing to give him time. Grant doesn't have that credit in the bank. Grady does need to start performing soon however, we can't wait forever for him to regain some form.

Grady had a spell. It wasn't prolonged and he didn't "tear up" the Championship like some make out. Lots of players have spells its why you dont judge them over half a dozen games (Harvey Barnes excepted you could see his quality in literally five minutes). 

Even Michael Ricketts had a spell, played once for England. Cant tell me he was as good as Bomber Brown. Extreme and silly example I know but you get my point.
Whilst I agree with the opening post and personally can't make out exactly what Grant is good at (not good in the air, no real pace, doesn't hold the ball up, finishing not great etc) to make him a £5m player let alone a £15m one, the blame lies wholly with the club.

We needed a target-man (Rondon / Fortune) to play as a lone striker in a 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 last Summer and, as when we got Austin, we bought a player totally unsuited to the system. That isn't Grant's fault at all and it's clear that his confidence was shot last season and again this after that woeful penalty against Millwall.

Surely it isn't hard to profile the sort of striker (player) needed and specify their relevant attributes and then find someone who fits the bill? We did it with GMac and Yacob. It totally sums up last Summer's recruitment - three left wingers and ignoring the vast holes elsewhere in the team.
(09-21-2021, 10:48 AM)Atomic Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 10:37 AM)TartanRug Wrote:

Grady had a spell. It wasn't prolonged and he didn't "tear up" the Championship like some make out. Lots of players have spells its why you dont judge them over half a dozen games (Harvey Barnes excepted you could see his quality in literally five minutes). 

Even Michael Ricketts had a spell, played once for England. Cant tell me he was as good as Bomber Brown. Extreme and silly example I know but you get my point.

Think it's harsh saying he had a 'spell', he was excellent for at least half the season and key to us doing well and ran riot in a number of games. Just look at the number of games where he's created great chances for others. I'll be the first to admit he's not proved he can play at the top level but he's more than capable of being a key player for us in the chump, just don't know what's happened to him for the last 18 months, lacking confidence or something else?
(09-21-2021, 12:14 PM)clem4england Wrote: Whilst I agree with the opening post and personally can't make out exactly what Grant is good at (not good in the air, no real pace, doesn't hold the ball up, finishing not great etc) to make him a £5m player let alone a £15m one, the blame lies wholly with the club.

We needed a target-man (Rondon / Fortune) to play as a lone striker in a 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 last Summer and, as when we got Austin, we bought a player totally unsuited to the system. That isn't Grant's fault at all and it's clear that his confidence was shot last season and again this after that woeful penalty against Millwall.

Surely it isn't hard to profile the sort of striker (player) needed and specify their relevant attributes and then find someone who fits the bill? We did it with GMac and Yacob. It totally sums up last Summer's recruitment - three left wingers and ignoring the vast holes elsewhere in the team.

Spot on.

Imagine a Fortune/Rondon in last seasons team, even more in this team. Having the right forward for your team us so important, yet we're so bad at doing it.
(09-21-2021, 01:30 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 12:14 PM)clem4england Wrote: Whilst I agree with the opening post and personally can't make out exactly what Grant is good at (not good in the air, no real pace, doesn't hold the ball up, finishing not great etc) to make him a £5m player let alone a £15m one, the blame lies wholly with the club.

Spot on.

Imagine a Fortune/Rondon in last seasons team, even more in this team. Having the right forward for your team us so important, yet we're so bad at doing it.

In recent times, it's only the 18/19 season with Gayle and J-Rod that we've got it right.

Although you still had people claiming they didn't enjoy the football and all J-Rod did was run around.