Ball playing defenders.
I think this will be the key for us turning our fortunes around offensively in the coming weeks. 

As mooted on here I would be tempted to try something different at the back to allow us to play more progressively from the back. I alluded to it till I was sick of saying it against Derby, that our first pass was our biggest issue. Especially when facing our own goal. 

Against QPR I would drop Jake into the back 3 and leave Townsend there for one more game unless Bryan  or Clarke are fit. This would give us more composure on the turn over. 

Unlike most I don't think our issues are further forward I think its our lack of technical ability in the back 3 which halts our offensive capability. When our players are getting chances it is usually after a 20/30m sprint as our distribution and build up is often hurried as a result of a poor initial pass through the lines.
Not sure Jake could play as a CB. Does he ever head the ball? I do agree our attempted finishes suffer because they are rushed. We need to be more comfortable with the ball all over the pitch. Currently, Sam J is our best footballer!
(09-20-2021, 08:14 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote: I think this will be the key for us turning our fortunes around offensively in the coming weeks. 

As mooted on here I would be tempted to try something different at the back to allow us to play more progressively from the back. I alluded to it till I was sick of saying it against Derby, that our first pass was our biggest issue. Especially when facing our own goal. 

Against QPR I would drop Jake into the back 3 and leave Townsend there for one more game unless Bryan  or Clarke are fit. This would give us more composure on the turn over. 

Unlike most I don't think our issues are further forward I think its our lack of technical ability in the back 3 which halts our offensive capability. When our players are getting chances it is usually after a 20/30m sprint as our distribution and build up is often hurried as a result of a poor initial pass through the lines.

Dykes, Dickie, Austin and Gray.

And you want a back 3 that includes Livermore and Townsend?
I find this continued faith in Jake Livermore quite bizarre. He isn't doing much to impress in midfield. His defensive skills are the area that lets him down most. We don't see him heading the ball often. I don't see how putting him in place of Ajayi could be anything other than a huge risk.
I can never get the desire for Livermore to be in defense.

I like Livermore, but he is never, ever a defender.
(09-20-2021, 08:25 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: I find this continued faith in Jake Livermore quite bizarre. He isn't doing much to impress in midfield. His defensive skills are the area that lets him down most. We don't see him heading the ball often. I don't see how putting him in place of Ajayi could be anything other than a huge risk.

Finally we agree on something Chesh. Livermore is terrible at progressive passing and we really need some guile in the middle of the park and to fit an additional offensive player into the mix somewhere as whilst defensively we are coping fine, we are really struggling to get the transition into attack right, and we are failing to create enough high quality chances to win games.

Mowatt has the quality on the ball to offer more but I think Jake’s struggles to keep up with play is detracting from his game now. We need to freshen up the midfield and if that means Molumby is given a chance, then it’s something we need to try. I’ve said on a few posts now, I think it’s time to push Phillips onto a wing back position, drop Furlong into a back 3 and move Townsend back into LWB. This will also give us the opportunity to drop into a flat back 4 in-game if needed.
I guess my thought process behind Jake at the back is that we rarely concede any chances with the way we play and how teams are forced to play against us. But Jake ability to pass the ball is much better than any available defenders.

Regardless of whether Jake is the answer, the question will still be same for me. How do we improve our first pass. How do we get our ball players into positions to hurt teams without the need for so much physical exertion first.
Barnsley's passing accuracy last season was 59%, I'm not sure many on here have got to grips with that.

Ismael seems to want the ball played forward and quickly, and that is always going to be at the expense of accuracy.

The last game I watched was Derby, there was nothing wrong with the second half performance other than a lack of being switched on in the penalty box. A bit of variety would have been nice, the occasional ball cut back to the edge of the box , but on the whole the delivery was good, just a lack of awareness or ability by the forwards to get to the ball. Telling when an Albion player did meet a cross, it was invariably Furlong.
(09-20-2021, 09:02 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote: I guess my thought process behind Jake at the back is that we rarely concede any chances with the way we play  and how teams are forced to play against us. But Jake ability to pass the ball is much better than any available defenders.

Regardless of whether Jake is the answer, the question will still be same for me. How do we improve our first pass. How do we get our ball players into positions to hurt teams without the need for so much physical exertion first.

Shorter passes into midfield instead of hoofing it from the back?  That's tippy-tappy round this way these days and will lead you into the Heart Bilic  Heart camp!

But yeah we lack composure from the back and tend to play it long so it is an issue.  Maybe Clarke will be better, he seemed to like carry it out from the back, that can create space too.  Shots and chances are being rushed because teams ares sitting deep and there's little to no room. To create the space you need to be smarter and play the triangles, not lump it onto the centre half's head.
滚开赖
(09-20-2021, 09:36 AM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 09:02 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote: I guess my thought process behind Jake at the back is that we rarely concede any chances with the way we play  and how teams are forced to play against us. But Jake ability to pass the ball is much better than any available defenders.

Shorter passes into midfield instead of hoofing it from the back?  That's tippy-tappy round this way these days and will lead you into the Heart Bilic  Heart camp!

But yeah we lack composure from the back and tend to play it long so it is an issue.  Maybe Clarke will be better, he seemed to like carry it out from the back, that can create space too.  Shots and chances are being rushed because teams ares sitting deep and there's little to no room. To create the space you need to be smarter and play the triangles, not lump it onto the centre half's head.

I think the issue is not length of pass per se, but accuracy. 

Many times v Derby second half we played long passes behind their defence, or switched play directly, but we did so after having good stable posession in deeper areas. 

Earlier in the season we had 5/6 players in and around the oppositions area and overloads in most positions on the pitch, offensively. Now  because we are having our press nullified by long, high, safe out balls, we are having to build from much deeper and not turning the ball over in the middle and offensive 3rds where quick balls work well.