Football
(07-11-2021, 11:07 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I’m proud of England tonight. Took Italy the whole way. They edged it on pens. We can hold our heads high as one of the top 6 nations in the world again.

This squad will be about for the next 3-4 tournaments. Sad, but thinking of better days ahead.

Good post. Unfortunately, some twat gave the next World Cup to Qatar. (Spelling). I didnt even know it was a real place.
(07-11-2021, 11:14 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 11:09 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: England losing never hurts as much for me as Albion losing. Even in a final.
Now at least we can get back to petty sniping about the Baggies.

It's weird against the Seals in the penalty shoot out I came away feeling proud, tonight I just feel cheated and annoyed, mainly because of those effin diabolical run ups and how they're being shrugged off cuz they are 'young'.

True. There was something special about the atmosphere which made such an awful result feel like a moment of pride.

While rationally, I can accept that Italy are a worthy side, this feels like a gut-punch akin to that 5-0 drubbing by Leeds.
(07-11-2021, 11:14 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 11:09 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: England losing never hurts as much for me as Albion losing. Even in a final.
Now at least we can get back to petty sniping about the Baggies.

It's weird against the Seals in the penalty shoot out I came away feeling proud, tonight I just feel cheated and annoyed, mainly because of those effin diabolical run ups and how they're being shrugged off cuz they are 'young'.

Agree with this.

I’m annoyed as both the players and coaching staff froze tonight. There’s no shame in losing to this Italy side, but do I honestly believe Team England did the absolute best they could both in the dugout and on the pitch? No, I don’t, and that’s frustrating.

A defeat on penalties will go down as a plucky and unfortunate loss, but should we have sent those kids up to take penalties? Should we hell. The collective abdication of responsibility from the likes of Shaw, Sterling and Greasy cost us tonight, not the kids.

Still, when all is said and done, I’d have swapped a victory tonight for 3 points at Bournemouth a month
Southgate determined the 5. That's on him.

No way does a 19 year old take that 5th penalty. Just no.
Oh and Rashford.

That was pure arrogance, for a player out of form it was almost insulting. He's better than that, Sancho and Saka were undone by the keeper, Rashford fucked his own penalty up.
Southgate said the penalty takers and the order was up to him alone.

Whether he is covering for any players I don't know. If that was purely his decision it was barking mad.
(07-12-2021, 12:05 AM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote: Southgate said the penalty takers and the order was up to him alone.

Whether he is covering for any players I don't know. If that was purely his decision it was barking mad.

Grealish to be fair looked like a player who wanted to take one and couldn't.

I think Southgate made the mistake of thinking training penalties ate anything like a shootout.

Pickford, Grealish, Sterling, Shaw, all should have been ahead of Saka.

Poor kid, getting racial abuse now too, good old football fans.