Not looking forward
To Monday morning ,and no this isn't anything to do with what might happen tomorrow night .The problem I have is that I have to give notice at work because I've been offered at better paid job and one I've been looking for ,for a,while ,but my current employer as been fantastic to me and all the people there are very friendly  so it's not something I'm looking forward to doing ,have any of you been in a similar position ?
If you have a good relationship with your boss and colleagues then they should be understanding.
(07-10-2021, 02:41 PM)YoYoBaggie Wrote: To Monday morning ,and no this isn't anything to do with what might happen tomorrow night .The problem I have is that I have to give notice at work because I've been offered at better paid job and one I've been looking for ,for a,while ,but my current employer as been fantastic to me and all the people there are very friendly  so it's not something I'm looking forward to doing ,have any of you been in a similar position ?

I have yes. It’s a very difficult position to be in, especially if the company has been good to you. However, it is a part of business. There is a possibility that your current company may offer you more money to stay,  but this makes it more difficult for two reasons; 1. If it is a money thing , then likely it will sway your opinion and make the decision more difficult. 2. because in my experience, the reason why you started looking at another job in the first place was because you were not completely content in your current position. Is that just a money thing or something else? You have to be honest with yourself and ask the question; am I moving for money or to truly advance my professional career? 

Other than that, be professional, be sincere and be thankful for all they have done for you.
(07-10-2021, 02:55 PM)westbromjack Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 02:41 PM)YoYoBaggie Wrote: To Monday morning ,and no this isn't anything to do with what might happen tomorrow night .The problem I have is that I have to give notice at work because I've been offered at better paid job and one I've been looking for ,for a,while ,but my current employer as been fantastic to me and all the people there are very friendly  so it's not something I'm looking forward to doing ,have any of you been in a similar position ?

I have yes. It’s a very difficult position to be in, especially if the company has been good to you. However, it is a part of business. There is a possibility that your current company may offer you more money to stay,  but this makes it more difficult for two reasons; 1. If it is a money thing , then likely it will sway your opinion and make the decision more difficult. 2. because in my experience, the reason why you started looking at another job in the first place was because you were not completely content in your current position. Is that just a money thing or something else? You have to be honest with yourself and ask the question; am I moving for money or to truly advance my professional career? 

Other than that, be professional, be sincere and be thankful for all they have done for you.

Good advice.

First of all, congratulations on the new job. 

Essentially if you looked for another job, there must have been a reason to drive that… if it was solely money, and the company you work for has been as good as you say, surely you could have asked for a raise there?

Ultimately you’ve made a decision to leave, and you need to follow it through or you’ll only be looking to
leave again in 12 months. 

Just ensure you explain your reasons for leaving, be professional and courteous until your final day and leave on good terms.
Without sounding harsh, people come and go in employment all the time and it’s great if you’re treated well and get on with colleagues but everyone will wish you well and just move on. 
Good luck in your new job you have to look after yourself at the end of the day.
Hi Gareth, Wolves fans are arseholes - stick where you are

Call a meeting with your boss and say you feel you are underpaid and that you’ve been offered another job on “x” (add a bit more than what your new to be employer has offered you).  Say you’d rather stay but you need the money. 

If they want you, they will match or better that offer.   If they don’t, then say bye.
I told you I’ll be back
I was in this situation recently. They were sad I was leaving and tried to persuade me to stay. But I felt ready for a change and it's early days, but it’s been good so far. It also helped that where I worked has had plenty of staff leave and return, so I made it clear I wasn't burning any bridges.

Ultimately, it's about why you're leaving. If you want more money, now's a great time to arrange that. But if you want a new challenge be honest with yourself.
Thanks all ,some good solid advice ,it's not about the money and I wasn't actively looking for another job but this offer came out of the blue and it will give me a change of scenery (literally) as it involves a lot of driving and as I've been working in warehouse distribution most of my life I feel its time for a change .

Only once. And regretted leaving.
Ever since I've only left if not liked the job, people or made redundant. Current job I have I took a pay cut to work with better people in a role I felt comfortable with. In early 50s now and can't be dealing with anything too stressful.
Good luck in the new job. Hope it works out well.