Big Sam
(05-13-2021, 08:41 AM)wbamitch Wrote:
(05-13-2021, 05:10 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 09:39 PM)wbamitch Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 09:31 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 06:20 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: If all this turns out to be true, it is pretty much everything we could have wished for.

Anyone can make a mistake, but the swapping of Burke for Robinson was laughable we were delighted (an unbelievable stupid deal by Wilder) .
Could we really appoint the guy who thought this was a good business and then got himself dismissed and relegated after promotion and a good 1st season in the PL? - it's a no from me, one more season from BFS with his apprentice taking over when he's done.

Wilders had one bad season in his career and a number of promotions on his CV. He’s taken a side up from the division we will be competing in and kept that side up despite having the worst team in the league. All of this is meaningless because he took a punt on a player that effectively didn’t cost them anything?

So if I purchased a Lamborghini for £250k and swapped it for a Ferrari, the Ferrari effectively costs nothing? Interesting comment. Sounds like a BOGOF offer. 
Your spot on about Wilder though, one poor season counts for nothing. The GOAT Cloughie had many seasons of failure. In today's world it's now or never for any manager at any club.

Okay sorry he didn’t cost effectively nothing, but I still don’t see it as a big deal. He got rid of a player he didn’t want and took a punt on someone who has shown (very rare) glimpses of high potential. It didn’t work, but you can’t blame him for backing his ability to improve players considering he took a bunch of league 1 players and turned them into a successful PL squad. The big fee transfers are a worry, other than Sander Berge the rest of them have been terrible, I’m sure he will be the first to admit to that. Big Sam spent the best part of 40 million on Tosun and Enner Valencia, they don’t get it right all the time. Obviously he will have to accept working alongside a TD or it’s a non starter but he’s achieved enough for me to look past this season as a one off.
Yes, better managers than Allardyce / Wilder, have made big money signings that turned out to be rubbish. Ferguson payed decent money for Anderson, Bebe and Massimo Taibi.

(05-13-2021, 08:41 AM)wbamitch Wrote:
(05-13-2021, 05:10 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 09:39 PM)wbamitch Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 09:31 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 06:20 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: If all this turns out to be true, it is pretty much everything we could have wished for.

Anyone can make a mistake, but the swapping of Burke for Robinson was laughable we were delighted (an unbelievable stupid deal by Wilder) .
Could we really appoint the guy who thought this was a good business and then got himself dismissed and relegated after promotion and a good 1st season in the PL? - it's a no from me, one more season from BFS with his apprentice taking over when he's done.

Wilders had one bad season in his career and a number of promotions on his CV. He’s taken a side up from the division we will be competing in and kept that side up despite having the worst team in the league. All of this is meaningless because he took a punt on a player that effectively didn’t cost them anything?

So if I purchased a Lamborghini for £250k and swapped it for a Ferrari, the Ferrari effectively costs nothing? Interesting comment. Sounds like a BOGOF offer. 
Your spot on about Wilder though, one poor season counts for nothing. The GOAT Cloughie had many seasons of failure. In today's world it's now or never for any manager at any club.

Okay sorry he didn’t cost effectively nothing, but I still don’t see it as a big deal. He got rid of a player he didn’t want and took a punt on someone who has shown (very rare) glimpses of high potential. It didn’t work, but you can’t blame him for backing his ability to improve players considering he took a bunch of league 1 players and turned them into a successful PL squad. The big fee transfers are a worry, other than Sander Berge the rest of them have been terrible, I’m sure he will be the first to admit to that. Big Sam spent the best part of 40 million on Tosun and Enner Valencia, they don’t get it right all the time. Obviously he will have to accept working alongside a TD or it’s a non starter but he’s achieved enough for me to look past this season as a one off.
Yes, better managers than Allardyce / Wilder, have made big money signings that turned out to be rubbish. Ferguson payed decent money for Anderson, Bebe and Massimo Taibi.
(05-13-2021, 10:54 AM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: Hang on... we're comparing Oliver Burke, the footballer, to a Lamborghini?

It's bad enough comparing him to a fucking footballer. FFS
Tiabi was fucking class for Venezia for what's it's worth!
(05-13-2021, 11:23 AM)MGalea Wrote: Tiabi was fucking class for Venezia for what's it's worth!

He was even more class when he let a trickler from Le Tissier through his legs, then said he had the wrong studs in his boots.
(05-13-2021, 11:23 AM)MGalea Wrote: Tiabi was fucking class for Venezia for what's it's worth!

He was. I used to watch a lot of Serie A back then and he was one of the best for a number of years. He never got over that howler against Southampton.
Just to highlight Wilder has had a considerable amount of financial backing from the clubs owners.
His last couple of seasons certainly wasn't done on a shoestring budget.
His promotion season he spent little money tbf
Transfermarkt shows a £100+ million spend on transfers over the last 2 years.
Like Paul Crichton. He had that one bad game and then...Oh.