Big Sam
Wilder changes style of play based on players when he takes over BTW. He won't get us playing as he did Sheff Utd.
(05-10-2021, 03:25 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Wilder changes style of play based on players when he takes over BTW. He won't get us playing as he did Sheff Utd.

Fuck me. How's he gonna play with Jake and Wrigleys??  Big Grin
(05-10-2021, 03:13 PM)Cuzer Wrote: It does make me laugh beating Wilder with a stick because he swapped Burke for Robbo, come on, really?

Burke cost us £18m, he got Burke for £3m valuation, the issue is more with who the hell sanctioned the £18m in the first place!

Wilder is a top manager, just look at his CV, the budgets he's worked with and what he's achieved against what was expected of the sides he was in charge of

Whether he ends up here or not to raise questions on his managerial ability based on Oli Burke is far fetched even for this place!

Cuzer

I think it is quite relevant. If Wilder does get the gig here then a lot of the initial tasks will be to replace the outgoing loaned players and to clear out/replace the dead wood.

Anyone that has tracked Burke's career knows he's achieved nothing since he left Forest and has shown no signs of improvement either.

The fact that we spent a ludicrous amount of money on Burke is actually irrelevant in this particular case where questions are raised on Wilder's judgment when buying players.
(05-10-2021, 03:13 PM)Cuzer Wrote: It does make me laugh beating Wilder with a stick because he swapped Burke for Robbo, come on, really?

Burke cost us £18m, he got Burke for £3m valuation, the issue is more with who the hell sanctioned the £18m in the first place!

Wilder is a top manager, just look at his CV, the budgets he's worked with and what he's achieved against what was expected of the sides he was in charge of

Whether he ends up here or not to raise questions on his managerial ability based on Oli Burke is far fetched even for this place!

Cuzer

Agreed. Writing off everything he has achieved because of 1 swap deal signing is odd. In that case we won't be wanting Sam either as he spunked 20+ million on Cenk Tosun

Cuzer

Correct. Wilder has had a decade with an outstanding win percentage and success.  But no - let’s judge him on 1 deal.  

He got SU to finish ahead of us Villa Leeds and Fat Franks Derby/Chelsea. He then finished 9th in the PL - with that team!

His striker signings last summer have failed. But then it’s all relative for clubs of that ilk. Who was the last striker we signed (not loaned) who actually succeeded for us in the PL?
(05-10-2021, 03:19 PM)yeoman lai Wrote: If we did have Wilder it could be fun watching Barts and Semi bombing down the flanks.  Big Grin

Arf. Ivanovic would be ideally suited too  Big Grin
(05-10-2021, 08:17 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:

Cuzer

Correct. Wilder has had a decade with an outstanding win percentage and success.  But no - let’s judge him on 1 deal.  

He got SU to finish ahead of us Villa Leeds and Fat Franks Derby/Chelsea. He then finished 9th in the PL - with that team!

His striker signings last summer have failed. But then it’s all relative for clubs of that ilk. Who was the last striker we signed (not loaned) who actually succeeded for us in the PL?

Exactly correct.

Wilder fell out with Robinson last season, and wanted him out. We were the only PL side likely to take him, and no Championship clubs would have been able to afford his wages, especially with 3 years on his deal.

Burke has talent, but he’s just not a top level footballer... I imagine Wilder felt he was worth a punt... it’s hardly like he broke the bank to bring him in.

For the most part his signings have been more than adequate, they just spunked on Brewster and McBurnie, but I think the former will come good... I mean I’d happily swap either for Grant this summer.
(05-10-2021, 09:51 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Cuzer

Exactly correct.

Wilder fell out with Robinson last season, and wanted him out. We were the only PL side likely to take him, and no Championship clubs would have been able to afford his wages, especially with 3 years on his deal.

Burke has talent, but he’s just not a top level footballer... I imagine Wilder felt he was worth a punt... it’s hardly like he broke the bank to bring him in.

For the most part his signings have been more than adequate, they just spunked on Brewster and McBurnie, but I think the former will come good... I mean I’d happily swap either for Grant this summer.

No, he doesn't have talent. He wasn't even any good at Celtic, in what is essentially a pub league. 

And yes, I think it's horrendous we spent such ridiculous sums on him too. 

I agree that it's possible unfair to malign Wilder so much for signing Burke, but he really is not a footballer.
Some lads on here quite happy to go back to their cheating wives because 'she made a mistake'.
(05-10-2021, 10:05 PM)Squid Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 09:51 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Cuzer

Exactly correct.

No, he doesn't have talent. He wasn't even any good at Celtic, in what is essentially a pub league. 

And yes, I think it's horrendous we spent such ridiculous sums on him too. 

I agree that it's possible unfair to malign Wilder so much for signing Burke, but he really is not a footballer.

Burke has played and scored in the PL, the Bundesliga, La Liga, the SPL and the Championship... he’s also played for his country.

I appreciate he’s not worth the £15m we paid for him,  and he’s unlikely to ever make it in the PL, but he clearly has something for top division clubs across Europe to keep taking a punt on him.

Wilder isn’t the first manager to sign him, and won’t be the last.

Edit: he’s also just come 8th in their POTY contest. That’s a damning indictment on their season!

(05-10-2021, 10:16 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: Some lads on here quite happy to go back to their cheating wives because 'she made a mistake'.

There was only moral wrong doing on Sam’s behalf over the dubious relationship between his agent son and signings made for Bolton... there was no real evidence he coerced Ravel Morrison to change agents to one that represented his other signings and himself at West Ham, and it was good old fashioned entrapment that cost him the England job.

We’ve already gone back to our cheating wife, we’ve gone back to her after she’s robbed our parents life savings and spent it on chips, gravy and a pint of wine.