Well I never knew that!!!
Also, FF, make sure you're using at least a Cat 6 or Cat 5e Ethernet cable, Cat 5 only transfers up to 100Mbps which would be a bottleneck.
(05-06-2021, 09:30 AM)DJPunkRoc Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:26 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I had fibre broadband installed recently and opted for 300mbps download package.  

When testing the download speed using apps on my android tv box I was only obtaining around 95-97 mbps.  After eliminating cables, and booking up my laptop to the Ethernet port on my router and performing tests via my laptop the error pointed to the android box.  I checked the spec online and bingo, which he Ethernet port on the android box could only cope with 100mbps.  I then bought a usb to Ethernet adaptor that can loves 1GBps and that fixed it. 

Speaking to a BT Openreach Engineer he hadn’t heard of Ethernet ports being restricted before.  He then went on to tell me he gets a lot of call outs for people who have upgraded to 1GBps broadband and put it a fault that they’re not getting 1GB speed.  He said they don’t read the small print as they have to hard wire devices to get 1GB as WiFi technology can only reach around 350mbps at present.    Glad I opted for the 300mbps package.

So they sell you a broadband package and hardware that are incompatible?

Nooooo.  It was the Ethernet port on my android box had a maximum capacity of 100mbps.
I told you I’ll be back
(05-06-2021, 10:03 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: BT Openreach engineer in talking bollocks shocker. Know so little about their jobs so often, no wonder most can't get work elsewhere.

I've found BT and there customer service/after service on a different page to the shite Virgin and SKY offer, you can pick up the phone and speak to somebody for a start

I could write a book on the issues of pairing SKy Q mini boxes to a BT Home Hub system, what a shower!

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
(05-06-2021, 11:31 AM)Cuzer Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:03 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: BT Openreach engineer in talking bollocks shocker. Know so little about their jobs so often, no wonder most can't get work elsewhere.

I've found BT and there customer service/after service on a different page to the shite Virgin and SKY offer, you can pick up the phone and speak to somebody for a start

I could write a book on the issues of pairing SKy Q mini boxes to a BT Home Hub system, what a shower!

Cuzer

Openreach (network infrastructure) and BT (ISP) are very different companies. Despite BT owning Openreach they have very little to do with one another and the latter is heavily regulated by the government so BT have little say in how it's able to operate.
Ah I see, may explain that then

Found BT and their engineers and tech support really helpful through lockdown, as for the others.....

Cuzer
(05-06-2021, 10:38 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Also, FF, make sure you're using at least a Cat 6 or Cat 5e Ethernet cable, Cat 5 only transfers up to 100Mbps which would be a bottleneck.

Cheers, I did test each cable when trying to find where the problem was as WiFi was fine but hard wired slower.  cat 5e cables came with the router but they are a little short for where I want the router to go in
my lounge to give the best wifi signal upstairs and so I ordered two 3m cat 8 cables.
I told you I’ll be back
(05-06-2021, 11:31 AM)Cuzer Wrote:

Cuzer

Yeah I'm literally just talking about the openreaxh engineers, the older guys are great. Sadly a lot of the new guys have had very insular, OpenReach specific training and really don't understand a lot of what they do.

Like the 'experts' in PC World who I wouldn't trust with my PC under any circumstances.
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
(05-06-2021, 01:33 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Which is a standard answer from said PC World Tech "Guru"

Cuzer
(05-06-2021, 01:57 PM)Cuzer Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 01:33 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Which is a standard answer from said PC World Tech "Guru"

Cuzer

It does usually fix things 9 times out of 10 though.
In the form of his life.