Finding Jack Charlton.
No. He was introduced at an after dinner do at the Albion by one of ours saying how Charlton had been booked 56 times and sent off 8 with Leeds, with whom he had won the League and FA Cup and the World Cup with England, followed by, "But we always thought he was a shit."
(04-02-2021, 07:20 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 12:25 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: The Albion did get a mention. Very funny bit in an after dinner speech Jack was giving.

Thought they might - the 1-2 presumably.  Barry Davies...what a biased wanker...
I was at that match with a Leeds fan (no segregation then). I escaped with my life...
Watching motd later we turned to each other and asked.."any idea who Leeds were playing?"
Albion barely got a mention. We were terrific that day and refused to be bullied.
But Barry D wasn't interested.
(04-02-2021, 08:54 AM)garyowensneck Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 06:07 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 10:09 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 10:06 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Actually watched it at 3am this morning as I couldn't sleep.
Why was McGrath a better player when pissed than any of ours sober over the past 20 years?

Did you enjoy it?

McGrath was some player in his pomp. Perhaps we should start bathing our lot in Guinness?

Jack was a shadow of his former self and the relationship with his brother was quite sad.

Yes, I thought it was excellent.
I wasn't aware how bad things were with Bobby.
Do we know if there has been any reconciliation of the families since his death?
It didn't really explain the reasons for the split.....unless i dropped off and missed it!
By the way, was it Chris de Burgh or FF singing at that all-nighter in Italy? I can never tell the difference.
Made the same mistake in Faces (or was it Boogies) in the early 1980's......as did several screaming girls.
He "filled his boots" that night, the old cad.
Now he tells us he looked like Arnie back in the day Hasta-la-vista Lady-in-Red  Big Grin

How did this thread get to mention me?  #obsessed
I told you I’ll be back
Caught up with this last night. Both moving and uplifting. What an absolute top man Jack was. Spoke to all with the respect they deserved. Fully recommend the programme to everyone regardless of whether they like football or not.