Ian St John RIP
RIP Saint.

Loved Saint & Greavsie back in the day. Essential Saturday lunchtime viewing.
(03-02-2021, 11:06 AM)mpad_mark Wrote: Loved watching Saint and Greavsie when I was younger One of the defining memories was Ian St John been unable to talk due to laughing so much following a Greavsie comment.

RIP ISJ  

Scottish keepers and Hamilton Accies.  Haw haw - yer cracking me up Greavsie.

That and Football Focus with Bob Wooden Wilson were essential beacons - in an era when there was so little football on TV
Loved Saint and Greavsie when I wore a younger man's clothes.
RIP Ian.
(03-02-2021, 01:41 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 11:06 AM)mpad_mark Wrote: Loved watching Saint and Greavsie when I was younger One of the defining memories was Ian St John been unable to talk due to laughing so much following a Greavsie comment.

RIP ISJ  

Scottish keepers and Hamilton Accies.  Haw haw - yer cracking me up Greavsie.

That and Football Focus with Bob Wooden Wilson were essential beacons - in an era when there was so little football on TV
And Jimmy Hill on MOTD,` the man who ruined football ` our Ron called him. Thought he came across as an arrogant prat.

Also remember `On The Ball ` with Brian Moore as well.
Wonderful memories of Saturday mornings at my nan's in Langley.

I remember Saint and Greavsie. Terrahawks. The wrestling.

Great days and brilliant TV that never took itself too seriously.
Interesting little add on to the Ian St John debate, I have this morning, through work, spoken to a guy who was offered a contract by Portsmouth when Ian St John was manager. the lad had been a youth there.

Anyhow, the chap had interest from Holland so went to play there. He reckons Ian St John was a real bully, a scary, awful bloke.

This chap went onto play only for a couple of years, but his leg got badly bust up and never played again.
I remember that there was a church near Anfield that had a sign saying, "Jesus saves" - and a Liverpool fan wrote underneath "but St John puts in the rebound". They were some team and Shankly a genius.
There was supposedly a poster outside a local church which asked "What would YOU do if Jesus came to Anfield?"
Someone scrawled underneath, "Move St. John to inside left."
From today's obit in The Guardian: '“Saint” made a total of 425 appearances in the red shirt, scoring 118 goals, including the one in 1965 that brought the FA Cup to Anfield for the first time in Liverpool’s 73-year-old history...'

To put that in perspective, three years later we would win the cup for the fifth time. Two paths diverged, and all that...