3 week break after Palace away
before we play Chelsea away on 3 April. 

Utterly ridiculous in the middle of a premier league season.  

Chelsea have a couple of games in the week following so won't be quite as rusty.  

I guess it will help to clear up any knocks and certainly gives Sam the valuable time he's been decrying he hasn't had on the training ground.
Trip to Barcelona it is then...
(02-28-2021, 06:26 PM)Duffers Wrote: Trip to Barcelona it is then...

I think he has a place in Spain.
(02-28-2021, 06:32 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

So why are we having to play Everton?
(02-28-2021, 06:35 PM)oldun Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 06:32 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

So why are we having to play Everton?

I'm guessing it's those nice people at Sky.
Just realised that Everton is Thursday and Newcastle on Sunday fucking stupid playing that close they have no choice to rotate the team
(02-28-2021, 06:52 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Just realised that Everton is Thursday and Newcastle on Sunday fucking stupid playing that close they have no choice to rotate the team

Everton play Monday night then again on Thursday. They’re probably saying the same thing.
(02-28-2021, 06:05 PM)Hopalong Wrote: before we play Chelsea away on 3 April. 

Utterly ridiculous in the middle of a premier league season.  

Chelsea have a couple of games in the week following so won't be quite as rusty.  

I guess it will help to clear up any knocks and certainly gives Sam the valuable time he's been decrying he hasn't had on the training ground.

Why not be positive?

Let’s hope we get into a position where we are max 3 points off 17th before we go on a 3 week break.

Perfect timing to get on training ground and build core fitness/tactics.
(02-28-2021, 06:54 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 06:52 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Just realised that Everton is Thursday and Newcastle on Sunday fucking stupid playing that close they have no choice to rotate the team

Everton play Monday night then again on Thursday. They’re probably saying the same thing.

The game has been re-arranged due to Everton's FA cup tie on 20th March.  I personally expected this to be after 20th March and much later in the season as almost every other re-arranged fixture has.   So why the Premier League have done this is baffling and seemingly without consultation with us.  

Everton have a much shorter recovery period than we do for the game so hopefully they'll have a few niggles, but then we have a short recovery period before Toon.   Can't see James Rodriquez starting Thursday if he starts tomorrow and Calvert-Lewin has recently returned after a lay-off so unlikely he'll start both.  

Team selection should reflect what happens with Everton v Saints tomorrow and Newcastle's injury crisis.   Robinson and Grant haven't had any minutes for  a while nor Diangana so those are the three who give us options.  Ajayi is available for Everton a game we can't really afford to lose.  

I'd play our strongest side available for Everton and go for it and worry about Newcastle on Friday.   If we win both we're right back in with a shout.
Problem isn't us and Everton having short recovery time. It is that Newcastle have a week off and we play 3 days earlier. So Sam says.