Budget
Fiscal drag forever.

Corporation Tax to be double Osborne's target.

More stoking the flames of the housing market.

Millions still excluded.

And as for Starmer's reponse - weak weak weak.

6 1/2 more years of the tax raising Tories.
It's fine though, no tax on wealth. So Tory donors and Sunak's billionaire family are spared, let businesses share the tax burden with the working and middle class instead.

As for the excluded, maybe if the Lib Dems who have been banging on about them for a year now weren't excluded by the press, Observer aside, on being able to raise issues something would have been done.
(03-03-2021, 01:39 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Corporation Tax to be double Osborne's target.

If his deficit reduction promise was any indicator then Osborne's targets were more to be honoured in the breach than in the observance.

In any event, setting the rate is only one element in the equation; stiffening the collection régime matters just as much, otherwise the rate increase will be largely academic to the non-payers. FWIW, 25% is higher than I would have anticipated; I'd have thought somewhere around 22% more likely.
My assessment = a big bung to business, everyone else pays higher taxes due to fiscal drag. Nothing on education. End.
(03-03-2021, 01:52 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: It's fine though, no tax on wealth. So Tory donors and Sunak's billionaire family are spared, let businesses share the tax burden with the working and middle class instead.

As for the excluded, maybe if the Lib Dems who have been banging on about them for a year now weren't excluded by the press, Observer aside, on being able to raise issues something would have been done.

True on both counts.

Also Rishi in 2015
Quote:“… the Opposition suggested that they would raise the rate of corporation tax – a move that would damage jobs and growth. Will he confirm that that is still Labour’s policy, or will he start backing British businesses?”
Maybe we need more stealth style taxes than lamping it onto paye or corporation tax. I'd bet few of us miss the odd extra pennies we pay for this or that, but when taxing successful small businesses (who are often still the working class), well it just seems a tad unfair, especially when that money could go directly into employing more staff or offering better wages to further stimulate the economy.
(03-03-2021, 07:43 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: Maybe we need more stealth style taxes than lamping it onto paye or corporation tax. I'd bet few of us miss the odd extra pennies we pay for this or that, but when taxing successful small businesses (who are often still the working class), well it just seems a tad unfair, especially when that money could go directly into employing more staff or offering better wages to further stimulate the economy.

They did stealth tax by freezing the thresholds.
(03-03-2021, 07:43 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: Maybe we need more stealth style taxes than lamping it onto paye or corporation tax. I'd bet few of us miss the odd extra pennies we pay for this or that, but when taxing successful small businesses (who are often still the working class), well it just seems a tad unfair, especially when that money could go directly into employing more staff or offering better wages to further stimulate the economy.

That's been the mantra for years - VAT, tobacco/booze.  A few of us wouldn't miss "the odd extra pennies" but the those with little certainly would.  

They are essentially taxes on the poor.  I don't often have much to agree with Proth about but Land Tax is simple and affects the poorest the least.
(03-04-2021, 10:21 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote:

That's been the mantra for years - VAT, tobacco/booze.  A few of us wouldn't miss "the odd extra pennies" but the those with little certainly would.  

They are essentially taxes on the poor.  I don't often have much to agree with Proth about but Land Tax is simple and affects the poorest the least.

Whereas Rishi freezing tax allowances for 5 years will drag about a million of the poorest into tax.
(03-04-2021, 10:23 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:21 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote:

Whereas Rishi freezing tax allowances for 5 years will drag about a million of the poorest into tax.

Not only that but with annual increases in rent, council tax and other bills, unless people get pay rises, it will make people even poorer and  reduce the amount that people have to spend in the economy as a whole.