Pandemic and crap football- how much has it altered your thoughts on Albion?
Reading the Allardyce here next season thread it struck me just how fed up posters seem to be as much with the farce of modern football as the dreadful team we've had this year.
Without being able to attend I wonder how many have had your relationship with football completely altered by the last year?
Those of us who started supporting Albion in pre prem days were watching a different game. I used to live by Warley Woods and after school I'd be kicking a ball against a wall imagining I'm scoring the winner for Albion in the cup final. That's what it was like supporting football then.
Now, as has been said, what is the point? We are one of 25 or so clubs with a similar fanbase looking to merely be part of and survive in a Prem with no interest in us.
My lad is the only Albion fan in his year in Solihull and it says it all that the 3 mates he was conversing with during/after the game are all Man U fans- despite none of them having any reason to follow this club 100 miles away, whilst they all could be at the Hawthorns in 25 minutes on the train.
The stories of the 1990s and the nostalgia surrounding it makes me wince. Now being in my mid 50s I recall a great side in my childhood and the mess we were during the 90s was heartbreaking- nothing good. As has been said, the only thing some miss about that, is carefree youth. 
So how will you feel about your relationship with football next season?
Me, I wish I could really completely wean myself off it, as the modern game with VAR, sending offs for things that wouldn't have been fouls 30 years ago, and the obscene wealth of the rich clubs making it a circus jus makes me wonder what's the point.
I'll be glad to go back next season, occasionally, when hopefully we are competitive again, and I see it more as a day out, but I'm increasingly uneasy with this unbalanced professional game.
https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/showthread.php?tid=15524

?
(02-15-2021, 11:19 AM)Dumbo Wrote: https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/showthread.php?tid=15524

?

He's so interested in Albion, he forgot that thread.   Big Grin
I actually made the lasagne earlier gents and watched it until the second goal. Then I made a bacon omelette for the lad, who switched off and went on his X box.
Jokes apart though I actually dread the weekend games, but it's so different for a Leeds supporting mate who lives in Dublin. He's loving the season. I think though supporting them there's hope of a billionaire. For us and the other 25 or so clubs it's different.
However, having many Blues fans mates I realise just how grim it could be.
The only beauty of this season is the realisation by Wolves fans that they are no where near breaking into the top 6.
Practically as low as it has ever been in terms of emotional investment. Not going to games only compounds the crap read about them (in spite of the TV access), and the cameraderie that once bound us seems to have all but evaporated.

The club doesn't look in cohesion at all, and hasn't in a long time. That in itself has been a slow and painful unravelling, with the poorly-played-out sacking of a clearly popular guy being replaced by a disappointing one who split opinion down the middle. This had little to no immediate impact (how could it), and as a result we're down, with no realistic hope of survival. Coupled to this, many players are OOC at the end of the season (and a few we'd prefer not to be bound to us for longer), the loanees most likely to depart, so we'll be left with another rebuild and to compound this no clue of who the head coach or owners will even be.

Meanwhile - perhaps due to boredom, irritability, frustration or whatever, or even the lack of ability to attend and vent at games; it's becoming increasingly, tedious, silly and personal on here whenever someone expresses an opinion, particularly when it involves one of our many cack players (or even something totally off-topic like the manager of last season's champions). COVID and isolation really cannot have helped here.

Even the various debates about much of the uncertainty have been done to death, and it actually makes me look forward to the favourite track by threads even more.

I'll always want the best for Albion, which is why I'd never want to remain in the Chump long; but it'll actually be a refreshing change from all this, and hopefully the beginning of better times given how wrong it has all gone (again). It'll be nice when we can stand shoulder to shoulder as supporters again, rather than sniping at one another for posting what we think (a lot of which is said in the heat of the moment at the time).

I think all of us are tired of this season and what it has become. It should never have been this way at the close of July, and none of us are to blame. So current interest level (beyond watching and trying to enjoy) very low, beyond that why worry.

It's up to the club to reengage us all again. Let's hope they do a better job this summer than last. I think going to games, cheering on the lads and bumping into one another again will have a big part to play.