Lincoln
I think Appleton if we go down becomes the obvious choice as our new manager.It is well known throughout the game what a good coach he is but he unfortunately made some bad career choices in terms of the unstable clubs he took on.He seems to have found the right fit at Lincoln and his signing of good young players has been top notch.People may say why would he come to us but it would all come down to the right backing and it’s another step up for him as well.
Birdman1811 Wrote:
Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
Squid Wrote:We need to do everything we can to bring Appleton here in the summer.

That would be a smart move to make. Sadly Dowling will probably give John Terry a call.

Dowling is a big fan and friends with Appleton.

But will Dowling be here next season?
(02-06-2021, 10:53 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Birdman1811 Wrote:
Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
Squid Wrote:We need to do everything we can to bring Appleton here in the summer.

That would be a smart move to make. Sadly Dowling will probably give John Terry a call.

Good question and one I've pondered myself, particularly as for all the talk of Lai/whoever the boss really is being distant and uninvolved, they aren't frightened of sacking people. Hammond didn't survive our last relegation season.

For all that some fans and in particular a certain ex local journalist, don't like Dowling, he can get a deal done. With our limited budget, that's a valuable skill.

If he can sell the idea of a rebuild under Appleton, he'll probably stay in post.

Also, if he goes, we'll be looking for our third DoF in about three years. That means what is supposed to be a stable, long term job, is barely more stable than the head coach role.
Squid Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:
Birdman1811 Wrote:
Big Daddy Cool Wrote:

Good question and one I've pondered myself, particularly as for all the talk of Lai/whoever the boss really is being distant and uninvolved, they aren't frightened of sacking people. Hammond didn't survive our last relegation season.

For all that some fans and in particular a certain ex local journalist, don't like Dowling, he can get a deal done. With our limited budget, that's a valuable skill.

If he can sell the idea of a rebuild under Appleton, he'll probably stay in post.

Also, if he goes, we'll be looking for our third DoF in about three years. That means what is supposed to be a stable, long term job, is barely more stable than the head coach role.
Agree, Squid. For all our speculation and finger pointing, we still don't know who exactly is to blame for us being so woefully short going into this season. Dowling has had a lot of stick but, to me anyway, he has had the odd good window. (This one included).  I really couldn't say if this was because he was backed to spend this time but not last August? Maybe we will never find out what happened last summer but it seems odd we are suddenly lashing out money for loans when the cause appears lost.
Anyway, I wouldn't be averse to Appleton next season.
Why would he leave Lincoln (if promoted) for West Brom?
(02-06-2021, 11:31 AM)Super_Slav Wrote: Why would he leave Lincoln (if promoted) for West Brom?

Size of club and history perhaps!. Tis why Atkinson went to Man U,Ardiles to Spurs etc.
(02-06-2021, 06:31 AM)Huggybear Wrote: I think Appleton if we go down becomes the obvious choice as our new manager.It is well known throughout the game what a good coach he is but he unfortunately made some bad career choices in terms of the unstable clubs he took on.He seems to have found the right fit at Lincoln and his signing of good young players has been top notch.People may say why would he come to us but it would all come down to the right backing and it’s another step up for him as well.

Some fans are just on an over reactive downer.  We are utterly out of our depth this year and it is horrendous but we go down with a sprinkling of players who would walk into most Championship teams (Semi, Grant, Grady and yes Sawyers), good stock players in Barts, Townsend, Robinson, Furlong etc and Parachute money.  If Pez finishes the season strongly I would be asking £25-30 million for him or he stays, and I would be happy to take £10-15m for SJ.   

Despite our year in the PL, and questions about ownership, there would be few successful managers in the Champ or below (or even from outside the big European clubs) who would not be interested in the move, let alone one with connections to the club like Appy.  Paul Cook for example, took on a tough job to get back into work and in comparison this would be a massive opportunity for him.  

If the team improves dramatically (unlikely for me) then despite relegation there may still be the option that BS wants another year to rebuild his reputation rather than walking away with relegation as the last entry on his CV.   I'm no fan of his BUT after all the faffing around in the summer and the awful businesses carried out he came in has tried to rectify the weaknesses the fans all knew were there at CM, CF and general pace, strength and leadership.  Ok, the signings may flop but on paper they appear to be a different quality and what could he do guiding the recruitment team in the summer?  With major gaps plugged, regardless of division, this might then be the perfect time to bring in a more progressive manager like the current Lincoln manager?

All blah blah and conjecture I know but I havn't seen us trounced for a few days and hope springs eternal.
(02-06-2021, 11:40 AM)Lillwall's left foot Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 06:31 AM)Huggybear Wrote: I think Appleton if we go down becomes the obvious choice as our new manager.It is well known throughout the game what a good coach he is but he unfortunately made some bad career choices in terms of the unstable clubs he took on.He seems to have found the right fit at Lincoln and his signing of good young players has been top notch.People may say why would he come to us but it would all come down to the right backing and it’s another step up for him as well.

Some fans are just on an over reactive downer.  We are utterly out of our depth this year and it is horrendous but we go down with a sprinkling of players who would walk into most Championship teams (Semi, Grant, Grady and yes Sawyers), good stock players in Barts, Townsend, Robinson, Furlong etc and Parachute money.  If Pez finishes the season strongly I would be asking £25-30 million for him or he stays, and I would be happy to take £10-15m for SJ.   

Despite our year in the PL, and questions about ownership, there would be few successful managers in the Champ or below (or even from outside the big European clubs) who would not be interested in the move, let alone one with connections to the club like Appy.  Paul Cook for example, took on a tough job to get back into work and in comparison this would be a massive opportunity for him.  

If the team improves dramatically (unlikely for me) then despite relegation there may still be the option that BS wants another year to rebuild his reputation rather than walking away with relegation as the last entry on his CV.   I'm no fan of his BUT after all the faffing around in the summer and the awful businesses carried out he came in has tried to rectify the weaknesses the fans all knew were there at CM, CF and general pace, strength and leadership.  Ok, the signings may flop but on paper they appear to be a different quality and what could he do guiding the recruitment team in the summer?  With major gaps plugged, regardless of division, this might then be the perfect time to bring in a more progressive manager like the current Lincoln manager?

All blah blah and conjecture I know but I havn't seen us trounced for a few days and hope springs eternal.

Decent post that. 

Personally I think the next few months all feel a bit pointless. 

There’s a few mercenaries who won’t be there when the stadium reopened later in 2021 and we’re playing back in the Championship. 

Next couple of months is just about saving face so it’s a respectable relegation, but there’ll be few of that starting 11 at the club come August.

Good Post mate, if we go down(pretty odds on really) then is Alladyce wants to stay and try and get us back up fine, if not there are only two people we should be looking at imho, Appleton or Cook both excellent coaches task masters and tactically astute. We should be looking at a compete rebuild of the club from the ground up this may take longer than we have parachute payments so unless Lai is prepared to invest at that time there is always the risk we may end up like Forest, Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland etc if we we don't come back up quickly. For me id rather us start to rebuild for the future even if there is some pain along the way, rebuild the club so we can start to compete in top tier build a legacy rather than the stop start clusterfuck reactionary boom n bust  shambles of the last few seasons, and back whoever is manager even if we do yo yo a few times between leagues.
(02-06-2021, 12:02 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:

Good Post mate, if we go down(pretty odds on really) then is Alladyce wants to stay and try and get us back up fine, if not there are only two people we should be looking at imho, Appleton or Cook both excellent coaches task masters and tactically astute. We should be looking at a compete rebuild of the club from the ground up this may take longer than we have parachute payments so unless Lai is prepared to invest at that time there is always the risk we may end up like Forest, Derby, Ipswich, Sunderland etc if we we don't come back up quickly. For me id rather us start to rebuild for the future even if there is some pain along the way, rebuild the club so we can start to compete in top tier build a legacy rather than the stop start clusterfuck reactionary boom n bust  shambles of the last few seasons, and back whoever is manager even if we do yo yo a few times between leagues.

I don't think a full rebuild will happen or is really neccessary.   We just need to NOT have another complete clusterfk of a transfer window and set realistic expectations as to what is achievable with the funds available which is top 6 Champ to bottom 6 PL UNLESS you happen to hit on the right DoF\manager\player combo for an extended stay of a few years. If this is the aim we will always be able to attract the successful managers of the Lincoln's of this world. I often get slapped for being unambitous but I think unambitous is thinking the Lincoln manager would not be interested in the job here.