One Match in History.........
(01-23-2021, 02:00 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 01:55 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Baggies 4 Man U 3 - Hawthorns 6 March 1971, Busby's last game at The Hawthorns.
We were in the away end and a Man U fan picked me up (I was 10) to look at George Best.
My dad made us leave early at 3-3 to avoid the rush and we heard a roar outside and assumed it was them, but - after listening to the radio on the way home!  Big Grin
Bomber Hat-trick!
Tempted to go for this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEST-BROMWICH...2658531660

Oh - and the First promotion last game too of course!
I was also in the Smethwick for that one and my abiding memory apart from the score was the constant chant from the Utd fans, E for B and Georgie Best.
I'm posting too much on this thread-being an old fart-but one of my most treasured possessions is a photo my Dad took of me sat on the Rainbow paddock wall at this game with the King stood with his back to us right in front of me.   BP-I think John Wile scored a last minute diving header to win it-you may be right about the Bomber H/T though-it was a regular occurence after all.
1968. No, not the 6-3 but the 3-1 in August of the 68-69 season. I may have written about this before but still. I think it was only our second game at home and United had everybody playing, Charlton, Best, Law, Stiles, Crerand. My older brother had a German exchange student from Stuttgart called Toni staying with us and my dad took us all to see Albion play the "Great Manchester United".

Toni could not believe what he was seeing when we skulled them. How could a team he'd barely heard of beat the European Champions? We'd hardly ever been to see Albion before - long story, our dad didn't like what had happened to his team in the early 60's and particularly disliked Derek Kevan, something to do with him thinking he'd ousted Ronnie Allen, dad's great hero. But he relented after we won the cup!

Anyway, I think it was my brother who said to Toni afterwards, blasé, "Oh yeh, we always beat United." Never forgotten that night - and it set the tone for so many great nights afterwards. Sadly the last game I think I saw with my dad was the wonderful Valencia win and the great haze of cigarette smoke that hung over the ground - my dad's Park Drive untipped making up a substantial proportion of it! Those were the days. Dad cursed me with this support but I thank heaven and him for it nevertheless.
(01-23-2021, 01:07 PM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote: I was at the Velencia game as a 7 year old kid, was the thing going around the perimeter track a camera or something as I remember being intrigued by it. Me and my old man were stood in the SME (couldn't get in the BRE as it was full) next to a Spaniard with a drum.

I'd like to go back to the Battle of Brammal Lane with the knowledge of hindsight to take all that in again, it was a mad, mad day that.

Valencia for me as well. Sat in the old Halfords Lane Stand.
Certainly some fantastic posts and stories here. Baggies ay we.
Liverpool second replay 6th Round of the FA Cup 1968 at Maine Road.

18 April 1968
West Bromwich Albion 2–1 Liverpool
Astle Goal
Clark Goal Hateley Goal

Maine Road, Manchester
Attendance: 56,000
GunsOfNavarone Wrote:WBA v Bradford City March 7th 1998, 1-1. A probably nondescript game for anyone reading this but a wonderful day for me and my dad. He used to be a regular at the Hawthorns but this was the only Albion game we attended together, long story as to why.

We had a couple of tots down the Old Hop Pole before joining up with some of my pals at the Vine. This was prior to my migration to the Sportsman. We had a good laff with some of my pals and headed to the Shrine. My mate who I always went to games with couldn't make it so I took my dad to our spot on the Smeth'.

Although he was in his 70s he stood throughout and joined in with all the chants and songs. I looked around and caught him flicking the Vs and shaking  his walking stick at the Bradford supporters near us by the divide. He loved it.

We had a brilliant day and stopped off for more tots at the Blue Gates, the Hollybush and the Old Chapel before heading home to mom via Astbury Avenue and Norman Road. He told her about our time and she looked as happy as we were.

I headed home to Mrs. Guns after a quality day with a good man who I never spent enough time with. In the last couple of years before he died he struggled with his speach. We couldn't communicate very well but whenever I reminisced about that day his eyes would light up and you could just about decipher the words Come on you Baggies followed by Shit on the Villa.

He didn't even overly dislike the Vile and wanted all the Midlands teams to do well (strange man was my dad) but he loved the chant. I'd go back and relive that day in a heartbeat if I had the chance. I'll leave it there as I've got dust in my eyes. See you again some day dad.

COYB and SOTV.
Cracking tale, fella. Actually there's some great ones on this thread.
(01-23-2021, 01:16 PM)MancBaggie Wrote: Went off a bit after that Sunderland game. A couple of my mates (in full beachwear) had a knock with some home fans in the alleyways near Roker. 

Name the Wba scorers that day

Very surprised at that, I had a fantastic if surreal day that day.
I drove up to Brum and met up with a mate from South Wales, who was doing the driving up to Sunderland, so I left my motor at the services and off we went. On the A1 we were overtaken by a porsche driven by a guy in a Sunderland shirt, as he went passed, he waved and gave the thumbs up, so we did likewise, after a while the porsche slowed down forcing us to overtake it again, as we passed, again the wave and thumbs up, again we did the same, after a while he began to overtake again this time making the drinking sign and urging us to follow him, which we did to a village on the outskirts of Sunderland, we pulled into a pub carpark and this guy jumped out and said, I have told them you are coming in so just order your drinks, when we went in the barmaid said are you the ones with Dave, we said if that's his name yes.
We never paid for a drink, were given food and travelled to the match on a Sunderland supporters coach, after the game we went back to the pub and were given more food and drink, turns out this Dave owned the pub, obviously when we were chatting we asked why, he just said when I overtook you and waved, you just waved back and didn't give me the wanker gesture, it was as simple as that.
I always regret not keeping in touch withbDave, but this was long before social media, but ever since I have held Sunderland fans in high regard.
Albion 4 China 0 my first visit to the hawthorns. Just to go back and relive that memory with my dad( rip) I would give anything to do that again
My first game was the 1-0 defeat to Forest at the end of the 78/79 season so i would go for this one, I had just turned 5 and do not have much memory of it apart from Francis scoring a late winner. Would be great to see the 78/79 side again and appreciate them.
I would go for the midweek game that kept us up and all but relegated Leeds in May 1982. It was a game of such high stakes and it was fantastic for Albion to finally come good after the disappointment of the two semi final defeats. But I'll never forget the last fifteen minutes watching the Leeds fans in the central SME section pulling at the perimeter fence and it buckling under the floodlights until it finally collapsed and the immediate police baton charge and mounted horses to stop the pitch invasion. Albion fans left the SME wing sections in their droves and both sections were almost empty when the fence fell. It was surreal watching the ground emptying before our eyes. We were in the comparative safety of the BRE and on the final whistle any remaining Albion fans in the ground left in haste. Me and my brother decided the best course of action was to go to the Woodman Pub and wait until the Leeds fans had long gone. We were the last people the doorman at the Woodman allowed in before he slammed the door shut and battoned down the hatches. Never been so frightened at a game at the Hawthorns, so would only relive it if I knew I got home safely!