Racist Incident in PSG Game
(12-09-2020, 12:07 PM)Olympic Wrote: You’re not a dinasour Mass. You’re the voice of reason.

And reason went out when that asteroid hit Wink
(12-09-2020, 12:12 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 12:07 PM)Olympic Wrote: You’re not a dinasour Mass. You’re the voice of reason.

I would be very likely to say "the black chap over there" by way of distinguishing him from a crowd, but I wouldn't say the brown or yellow person.  in the same way I might say the bald bloke or the one with blonde hair.  I wouldn't say the little fat one though.  Strange little foibles we all have.

I wouldn't deem that as automatically racist but again it depends on the context.  On a football pitch when everyone has their name and number on their shirts and all the players are known anyway there's no reason to point out the colour of the skin to distinguish him. 

It would have just been easier to call him Ba or number 9.  Considering the racism that occurs it seems an odd comment to pick to have the reaction of both teams walking off, if all he said was "the black guy" by way of distinction.
滚开赖
(12-09-2020, 12:55 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 12:12 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

I would be very likely to say "the black chap over there" by way of distinguishing him from a crowd, but I wouldn't say the brown or yellow person.  in the same way I might say the bald bloke or the one with blonde hair.  I wouldn't say the little fat one though.  Strange little foibles we all have.

I wouldn't deem that as automatically racist but again it depends on the context.  On a football pitch when everyone has their name and number on their shirts and all the players are known anyway there's no reason to point out the colour of the skin to distinguish him. 

It would have just been easier to call him Ba or number 9.  Considering the racism that occurs it seems an odd comment to pick to have the reaction of both teams walking off, if all he said was "the black guy" by way of distinction.

I believe the 'abused' person was a coach, and so probably didn't have a name and number on display (may have had initials, but no idea what the viewing angle was to say they could be used).

True, don't think I've ever heard anyone say the yellow chap, then again saying the Chinese chap could lead to even worse issues if said person is Korean or Japanese for example, as they all seem to be allowed to still hate each other (let alone the Indians and Pakistanis). I suppose there are just too many possible origins for the white and black chaps though, so it's shortened to the white or black chap? however, the black chap is now racist, so feck knows what we'd say?

I'd probably say the short fat chap with no worry... Definitely would say the boobalicious MILF too... Or the asstastic bird... I guess all this will have to go too?
Having watched the incident a couple of times it looked to me that the assistant coach(the only black guy amongst the coaches) was kicking off about something to the fourth official who called the ref over and he red carded the assistant coach who then started shouting “he called me negro”. Maybe the fourth official (Romanian) was describing which coach it was to the ref, surely high profile uefa officials should know better than to use such a word and merely call the ref over?
The 4th official wasn’t referring to Ba or any player. It was the assistant coach who was amongst other non black coaches. Maybe he could have used another term but I don’t see any racist intent there.
Actually mentioning the yellow chap...reminds me of something that happened in the office the other year.

A younger guy who was working with us, very Corbyn style Lefty, supports BLM and all that. Went over to introduce himself to a new guy, who was a yellow chap (Chinese I believe!)... Lefty without batting an eyelid, shakes his hand and quite loudly goes 'Herrro!'

We creased up massively, as did the yellow chap. Young guy was mortified, but just goes to show that even the most woke are fallible too.
(12-09-2020, 11:10 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: You telling me there is no other way to describe who you're talking about without having to point to the colour of their skin?

For a start, players have numbers on their shirts, it's not Sunday league the officials would have known the players names. Cultural or not, the players did the right thing in walking off.

It wasn't a player it was a coach who had no number and obviously the official had no idea of his name.

And surely colour of the skin is the easiest part to pick someone out if the rest of the people on the sideline have white skin? It would seem ridiculous not too. 

Demba Ba's argument how people wouldn't refer to a person as the white man is nonsense too. I've heard that many times by Black people and Asians.

Its just people being oversensitive and seeing something that's not there.

It's also hilarious to see people lecture John Barnes on twitter about why it was wrong, after everything he has been through in the game. He's been there and seen it. He thinks there was nothing wrong. Yet a bunch of white people will tell him otherwise. The world's gone nuts. Some people really need to get a fucking grip.
Some of the abuse aimed at Barnes on Twitter - people should be ashamed of themselves.

I very much doubt they would say it to his face.
If the incident is as reported we need to put an end to the farce that has become modern PC derivations of racism and time to pick up a proper debate.

As I said before, my Irish mum was asked by a doctor, who she went to see about a bad back, back in the 70s, whether she'd got it bending down planting bombs. Different times, but that is racism.

I would describe myself as left of centre, but I have a real issue with the whole BLM movement as being counterproductive and divisive.

Race relations has moved on greatly in the past generation, but it's like a sizeable number of people, generally those in social media warrior keyboard mode, want to take offence at everything.

If I was in a room with a load of people in their 20s and someone described me as the older bloke with greying hair could I have a hissy fit and describe it as ageist? Possibly, but I'd be looked at generally as a bit soft.

However, once skin colour is brought into anything it's walking on eggshells and some with bells and whistles on.

I wish the whole anti-racism movement was confined to people who call out hate fuelled racial slurs, hold toxic views, and who stop giving an able black person a job because they want a white guy, and the horror crimes of people being beaten up for their race or religion.

This unimaginably hypersensitive twaddle that seems to denote racism really is not helping anyone one bit and possibly can be argued as being fuel to the fire for the type of extreme scum who should be tackled.

We live in the most tolerant country in Europe, have the highest rate of mixed race people and looking at tackling the real problem people is what the anti racism movement should be about.

(12-09-2020, 12:06 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:06 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 10:59 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: A lot of people are on edge and hearing racism where it isn't. Also a lot of racism goes unheard. Both are difficult to deal with and put an end to. It's a problem in life not sport. People take their beliefs to the game.

There is still a misunderstanding of what constitutes racism on both sides, and this lack of education and lack of freedom to discuss openly is driving divisions in an already divided society.

Racism seeks to oppress and maintain the belief that a given race is inferior to white people. The mere description of someone being a black person doesn’t constitute racism, but using a term that has historically been associated with oppression does.

And here we see a prime example suggesting that racism only exists from white to other races, when it does not. All races carry out racism. In my experience it tends to be the predominant race in a given place / time / area / country  / etc... that tend to carry it out, regardless of their colour / creed etc... In England, predominantly it would be white against other colours, but in China it wouldn't... In Small Heath for example I was racially abused for being white.

I have coloured South African friends, which is how they describe themselves when not white or black, they received racist abuse from both other sides when they were in South Africa.

It's so easy to say what it is and isn't and then fall foul of getting it wrong.

Reminds me of back in the mid 80s, I was going out with a girl at Wolvo poly. She shared a house with 2 other girls, one of them a black girl. This girl was just Monica to us, but then she got in with the Afro-Carribean society. She then started getting more distant and one night it erupted when she brought about 12 of them back and they had an impromptu party, at 3am. My then girlfriend and the other girl and me went downstairs and asked them what they were playing at and how inconsiderate they were being.
We got called everything under the sun, including by the housemate egged on by her friends. Nearly every insult was white this, white that- utter dogs abuse.
It was very intimidating nad race hatred. 
She wanted to be divisive and point herself out as different to us.
Racism works both ways.
(12-09-2020, 02:24 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:10 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: You telling me there is no other way to describe who you're talking about without having to point to the colour of their skin?

For a start, players have numbers on their shirts, it's not Sunday league the officials would have known the players names. Cultural or not, the players did the right thing in walking off.

It wasn't a player it was a coach who had no number and obviously the official had no idea of his name.

And surely colour of the skin is the easiest part to pick someone out if the rest of the people on the sideline have white skin? It would seem ridiculous not too. 

Demba Ba's argument how people wouldn't refer to a person as the white man is nonsense too. I've heard that many times by Black people and Asians.

Its just people being oversensitive and seeing something that's not there.

It's also hilarious to see people lecture John Barnes on twitter about why it was wrong, after everything he has been through in the game. He's been there and seen it. He thinks there was nothing wrong. Yet a bunch of white people will tell him otherwise. The world's gone nuts. Some people really need to get a fucking grip.

If the person who was addressed felt it was racist, then guess what, it's racist.