Klingons in Spain
He was very good for us and I thought villa had got a steal. Did not see him going so bad overnight. Brilliant.
(11-28-2020, 10:09 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: He was very good for us and I thought villa had got a steal. Did not see him going so bad overnight. Brilliant.

Pulis didn't rate him at all - hence his banishment to left back. In the Irvine half of that season, we should give credit to GMac and yes, even Dawson, who partnered him - and ask ourselves who was "carrying" whom.

Like so many formerly top players who've joined the Albion after retiring (Graham Roberts being the shining example of this for me, but there are others), he never showed enough of his quality, but many fans seem deluded into thinking he did.

He will always be a hero for what he did at the Villa, though.
(11-28-2020, 11:02 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 10:09 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: He was very good for us and I thought villa had got a steal. Did not see him going so bad overnight. Brilliant.

Pulis didn't rate him at all - hence his banishment to left back. In the Irvine half of that season, we should give credit to GMac and yes, even Dawson, who partnered him - and ask ourselves who was "carrying" whom.

Like so many formerly top players who've joined the Albion after retiring (Graham Roberts being the shining example of this for me, but there are others), he never showed enough of his quality, but many fans seem deluded into thinking he did.

He will always be a hero for what he did at the Villa, though.

So many` formerly top players` we wasted money on is horrid.

Roberts, as you say.
Andy Townsend.
Mike Phelan, I know, `top` may be stretching it a bit.
Geoff Hurst,
Mickey Thomas.
Gerry Armstrong, see `Phelan`, above.