genealogy
(11-06-2020, 11:56 AM)Jamin03 why change it? Wrote: anybody had a go at this family tree tracing lark?

we lost my uncle's "girlfriend" and had her funeral on Wednesday, afterwards he proceeded to give me a guided tour of West Bromwich showing me around his and my old dad's favourite haunts and houses etc.  quite interesting and very therapeutic for him following the funeral.

anyhow got me to thinking whilst i've still got the old fella around it would be fun to have a go at this and get him involved a bit too, might even make a nice Crimbo pressie for him.  right i'm rambling a bit.

any thoughts, views, experiences greatly appreciated.

UTB, SOTV, i cor play left back and Dexy's were ok.................................................

My wife traced hers back to 1655. Before internet, used Dudley archives, which led to her finding out her ancestors were from Shropshire. She then went round Shrewsbury etc, looking at parish records in libraries etc, church documents and so forth.
I used one of the Internet sites, traced mine back to 1846. Obviously they cost a few quid to view census records etc.
My father in law had a great uncle who died in the first world war, records had been lost, but we found his history from the Worcestershire Regiment, went to France to see where he died, his name on a memorial, very interesting.
I tried, but discovered something so dark and shocking I couldn’t go any further...

In the 1890’s my great, great grandfather played for the Seals...
(11-06-2020, 03:53 PM)Duffers Wrote: I tried, but discovered something so dark and shocking I couldn’t go any further...

Oh my. Duffers you have my deepest sympathy.

You descendantofadeludedfisheatingsealcunt.
If I could offer anything useful to this debate it would be to do it now. With the passing of each family member, something else disappears. I had the good fortune to grow up with Grandparents who filled those rainy days in the summer holidays with the most amazing tales from the past. My Grandad, as a kid, sent to Kates Hill with a trolley each morning to bring home his Dad, drunk after taking in lubrication following a hard night down the mine. The unmarked mass, paupers graves many children went into to save money, many of my own family included. I always intended to try the family tree thing but put it off and now there isn't anyone to help overcome the dead ends. I always knew my Grandmother came from Ireland in the 1800's but my cousin found out that before then her family came from Spain and were Moors! That might take some unravelling but there are some amazing tales of those who flocked to the Black Country to work in the mines and furnaces.
To anyone thinking of doing this, Do it!
(11-06-2020, 03:53 PM)Duffers Wrote: I tried, but discovered something so dark and shocking I couldn’t go any further...

Sorry to hear,  must have been a shock to the system. Help / counselling is out there these days.
(11-06-2020, 03:45 PM)JOK Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 12:13 PM)Protheroe Wrote: I recently found out my grandfather travelled to Germany for a month in 1938 (his only ever travel outside the UK). There's no one left in the family to ask why.

I dread to think what impact these 4 weeks had on the course of European history.

We know what some think it had on you!  Angel

You took your time Wink
(11-06-2020, 04:48 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:

Sorry to hear,  must have been a shock to the system. Help / counselling is out there these days.

If my ancestors were Nazi sympathisers or even Brexit supporters I could have handled it, but this???

The family name is tainted, which is why I changed it to something less offensive: Saville-Huntley.
(11-06-2020, 05:49 PM)Duffers Wrote:

If my ancestors were Nazi sympathisers or even Brexit supporters I could have handled it, but this???

The family name is tainted, which is why I changed it to something less offensive: Saville-Huntley.
Did you change your first names as well? Shipman Sutcliffe Saville-Huntley has a certain ring to it.
(11-06-2020, 06:22 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 05:49 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Did you change your first names as well? Shipman Sutcliffe Saville-Huntley has a certain ring to it.

Just put Fred at the front