Sam Field
Bummer. This kid never gets a break. I mean that non-literally.
(10-22-2020, 04:28 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 03:51 PM)MassDebater Wrote: I was happy with the midfield against Burnley (apart from our attacking failures), Livermore seemed OK shielding the defence, with Gallagher and Kroc doing more of the dirty / hard work in front of him. So I don't get the Ajayi for DM role, personally.

dame shame for Sam though, could've made an impact this season. Sounding like he could be somewhat injury prone after last season.
Me neither. He played for us there for 1 game last season. As I recall he was hoiked or positionally changed at half time and looked like a massive salmon flapping on the bank side.
He is nowhere near mobile enough IMO and will just be bypassed.

By all accounts he had pace to match Olympian Adam Gemili growing up.

And for me, he would be just another defender slightly forward of the CD.

So a defensive DEFENSIVE midfielder that in open play would go no further than the edge of the opposition centre circle give or take a few yards.

We have 5 players in Gallacher, Pereira, Diangana, Grant, and Robinson / Krov going forward and probably one of either Gibbs or Furlong involved in attacks, Ajayi would simply slot into a back 4 at this point.

But, all about opinions!!
Can’t rule him out of that position just because of one average display.

If that was the case, Grady should never be played on the wing again after Monday.

Rotherham fans said Ajai’s best position was DM. I think it’s worth another try.
(10-22-2020, 06:14 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Can’t rule him out of that position just because of one average display.

If that was the case, Grady should never be played on the wing again after Monday.

Rotherham fans said Ajai’s best position was DM. I think it’s worth another try.

It's needs must, especially with the way Livermore racks up yellow cards. Also, Ajayi is fast, as anyone who has seen him run past that Chelsea player will testify.
(10-22-2020, 06:14 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Can’t rule him out of that position just because of one average display.

Average, I wouldn't even have scored him that highly against Wednesday. I don't care for the Rotherham opinion in the current circumstances, either, it definitely wasn't at Premier level.
(10-22-2020, 04:16 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Jack Wilshire anyone?

In a heart beat for me with our midfield and how we set up in a 4-3-3

Cuzer

To join Sam, or whoever happens to be injured, in the hydropool?

Rotherham were relegated from the Championship that season, the PL is a completely different ball game. What makes you think any Rotherham fan is a judge of a Premier League player? Ajayi is a centre back and at the moment not quite good enough for the Premier in his best position he would be hopelessly exposed in midfield.
(10-22-2020, 04:17 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 03:51 PM)MassDebater Wrote: I was happy with the midfield against Burnley (apart from our attacking failures), Livermore seemed OK shielding the defence, with Gallagher and Kroc doing more of the dirty / hard work in front of him. So I don't get the Ajayi for DM role, personally.

dame shame for Sam though, could've made an impact this season. Sounding like he could be somewhat injury prone after last season.

Have to remember it was against 2 man midfield of Westwood and Brownhill... there will be games where we need more of a shield.

(10-22-2020, 04:16 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Jack Wilshire anyone?

In a heart beat for me with our midfield and how we set up in a 4-3-3

Cuzer

Pay as you play only.

Forget it. We still wouldn't pay it.
(10-22-2020, 08:53 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

Average, I wouldn't even have scored him that highly against Wednesday. I don't care for the Rotherham opinion in the current circumstances, either, it definitely wasn't at Premier level.

Again, it was one game. Ajai has all the attributes to step up in the defensive midfield position. Whether he does or whether he gets the chance are something different though. You’re making out like we have an abundance of options for that role...