School Dinners
(10-22-2020, 10:31 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 10:20 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: So, providing basic meals to starving kids in the middle of a pandemic equates to the countrywide downing of tools by parents? How have you figured that out.

What rational argument is there for wanting kids to go hungry? Like it or not, some of these parents can't feed their kids what then? Shockingly children that get fed do better in school.

What you're doing when faced with hungry children is saying "fuck 'em"... I'm genuinely interested as to why.

Having worked in a city homelessness and benefits advice unit during a recession I've seen abject poverty up close and personal. In the vast vast majority of cases parents still manage to feed themselves and their kids.

If you find a (literally) "starving kid" you'll find a multiplicity of child neglect. How giving a feckless parent a food voucher is going to stop that I don't know.

It is not unreasonable to expect parents to feed their kids.

You've got first hand experience of it, and still couldn't give a shit.
In fairness to Proth I'd say the fact that he has worked in that environment and (I assume) done that to improve the situation indicates that he does give a shit.

Although I do expect that he wiped his shoes on the way out  Wink
(10-22-2020, 10:37 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: You've got first hand experience of it, and still couldn't give a shit.

No. I have first hand experience of it and I don't consider a handout to a feckless parent to be a particularly good solution.
(10-22-2020, 10:01 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Spin what? Is it really such an outrageous assumption that parents should feed their kids?

No. But given the reductions to household incomes, unemployment concerns, food price increases and that this government has spaffed money up the wall on all kinds of useless shite I find it extremely unfair that they're unwilling to extend the scheme and their reasoning for it is outright disingenuous and hypocritical.
(10-22-2020, 11:04 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 10:01 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Spin what? Is it really such an outrageous assumption that parents should feed their kids?

No. But given the reductions to household incomes, unemployment concerns, food price increases and that this government has spaffed money up the wall on all kinds of useless shite I find it extremely unfair that they're unwilling to extend the scheme and their reasoning for it is outright disingenuous and hypocritical.

If your benchmark is the public money being spaffed on useless shite you could make the same argument for funding anything at all.

And food price inflation has been virtually non existent for a decade. It certainly hasn't outstripped the increase in benefits and the minimum wage.
(10-22-2020, 11:19 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

If your benchmark is the public money being spaffed on useless shite you could make the same argument for funding anything at all.

And food price inflation has been virtually non existent for a decade. It certainly hasn't outstripped the increase in benefits and the minimum wage.

My benchmark is the amount of public money that's been made available by the Treasury during this pandemic that has very little, if any, worth compared with extending the free school meals scheme to cover the whopping 6 weeks from now till the end of the Easter holidays that it doesn't already cover in order to help make things a bit easier both financially and mentally for parents by covering some of their costs.

With regards to food prices, since March 2017 food price inflation has been increasing consistently and when you account for the greater numbers that will fall into the free school meal threshold due to an increase in unemployment and falling wages on top of those already below the threshold being subject to potential unemployment or wage cuts then it becomes pretty obvious that the relative cost of food will increase on top of likely food price rises after December 2020.
(10-22-2020, 11:41 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

My benchmark is the amount of public money that's been made available by the Treasury during this pandemic that has very little, if any, worth compared with extending the free school meals scheme to cover the whopping 6 weeks from now till the end of the Easter holidays that it doesn't already cover in order to help make things a bit easier both financially and mentally for parents by covering some of their costs.

With regards to food prices, since March 2017 food price inflation has been increasing consistently and when you account for the greater numbers that will fall into the free school meal threshold due to an increase in unemployment and falling wages on top of those already below the threshold being subject to potential unemployment or wage cuts then it becomes pretty obvious that the relative cost of food will increase on top of likely food price rises after December 2020.

The furlong scheme is very little???
Or am I missing something.
(10-22-2020, 12:19 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 11:41 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

The furlong scheme is very little???
Or am I missing something.

The furlough scheme only applies to those in work, and even then if you are in work and on minimus wage or in the gig economy then your pay will drop below that minimum standard. The school meals would help those in need in an easy win - to have everyone go through a costly means testing programme that would cost more than it saves at this point would be stupid.
https://twitter.com/grimoire_2020/status...48385?s=19
That just says that we are not as shit as other countries