Right then fuck it
Sounds to me as though some people are jealous of our neighbour’s spending.
(10-06-2020, 08:21 AM)Psalm23 Wrote: Just shows how little I know about the football business, I've always assumed that the buying & selling clubs agreed the transfer fee, I didn't realise that the players agent would determine the fee.

This is why we don’t know what to believe, the agent cannot up the fee that’s up to the club. If the agent did say this Grant has every right in sacking him as he is doing him out of a move through pure greed. Different matter if club got greedy.
(10-06-2020, 11:35 AM)wba13 Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 08:21 AM)Psalm23 Wrote: Just shows how little I know about the football business, I've always assumed that the buying & selling clubs agreed the transfer fee, I didn't realise that the players agent would determine the fee.

This is why we don’t know what to believe, the agent cannot up the fee that’s up to the club. If the agent did say this Grant has every right in sacking him as he is doing him out of a move through pure greed. Different matter if club got greedy.

Indeed, just because Villa were happy to spunk £25 million plus on Watkins, doesn't mean Grant's worth the same, I don't see a long queue of clubs waiting to sign Grant, so £12 million plus add ons seems about right to me.
The agent won’t decide the selling price, that’s down to Huddersfield, but they are often to go between for clubs. So we don’t necessarily negotiate with Huddersfield directly, but might go through his agent to propose a possible deal, both transfer fee and personal terms, that he can then put back to Huddersfield.

It’s entirely possible that after A) we flogged a load of money on Grady after pleading poverty and B) after Watkins moved for a big fee that Huddersfield would change their stance, and his agent has to feed that back.

The whole clubs in talks thing, and the whole tapping up discussion that emerges time to time, is a bit of a myth. Ultimately most negotiation goes through an agent, either the players or a 3rd party, and a lot of the ground work is done before any deal is agreed.

As for the reduced budget to save jobs, while the numbers might not stack up for this season in isolation there must be argument that a reduced transfer budget now is with a view to preserving funds to save jobs for another year or two should we drop.
(10-06-2020, 07:48 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: My only problem with this is if the club feel that 18m for Grant is too much, why didn't we pick up a striker from a European league yesterday where we could probably get better value. Worrying that we seem to have all our eggs in one basket.

Find it difficult to believe we are going to pay 18m for Grant.
(10-06-2020, 01:37 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 07:48 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: My only problem with this is if the club feel that 18m for Grant is too much, why didn't we pick up a striker from a European league yesterday where we could probably get better value. Worrying that we seem to have all our eggs in one basket.

we wont or else we would have already wev havnt got the money
(10-06-2020, 01:53 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 01:37 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

we wont or else we would have already wev havnt got the money

Do you reckon we'll be able to come up with some sort of loan deal pay for him next Summer that Hudds will accept?
All very well claiming Hudds have gazumped the price, but that would mean we still have the original 12M and don't appear to be letting it go?
(10-06-2020, 07:13 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: All very well claiming Hudds have gazumped the price, but that would mean we still have the original 12M and don't appear to be letting it go?

No other club will come in for him. Hudds need the cash. The deal will be done. Extremely uninspiring.
(10-06-2020, 07:16 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 07:13 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: All very well claiming Hudds have gazumped the price, but that would mean we still have the original 12M and don't appear to be letting it go?

No other club will come in for him. Hudds need the cash. The deal will be done. Extremely uninspiring.

What exactly don’t you rate about him Nick? I know it’s your whole raison d’etre to shit on any player we are linked with but what is it about him you don’t like?

He’s young, English, powerful, a great finisher and most importantly has scored goals ina poor side in both the PL and Championship.

What is your issue here?