Right wing comedy anyone?
(09-02-2020, 02:17 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 12:11 PM)Fall Out Boy Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 03:21 PM)baggy1 Wrote: It's just ridiculous - comedy is always aimed at those in power, fuck knows how they would have coped with Spitting Image at its peak. If they don't like having the piss taken out of them so much, don't be such a joke.

I seem to remember Spitting Image having Kinnock, Ashdown, and other Labour / Lib-Dem puppets. They took the piss out of everybody.

In general though, I think there is something to be said for more balance. Stand-up comedy has started to become very one-note, just constantly having a go at the Tories. Even somebody who started with an apolitical routine such as Kevin Bridges has had to resort to slagging off Johnson, Trump, et al. to keep getting work.

And that doesn't have to be a return to Manning / Davidson style comedy - that is out of place in society as a whole these days.

But when a show like Mock The Week will call Corbyn 'magic grandpa' and Boris a c**t, and then say that they're balanced, that seems ridiculous.

You’re going to have to explain what redeeming features Trump and Johnson have that means we should show them deference comedically?

It's not about them having redeeming features, it's about laying into Labour, the Lib-Dems, even the SNP (the only Nationalists the left love) with the same reckless abandon that they have for the Tories.

The SNP in particular should be getting a kicking right now for the schools fiasco (as bad as the Tories) and their new laws about 'causing offence', but they seem to be getting a pass.

(09-02-2020, 12:15 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 03:21 PM)baggy1 Wrote: It's just ridiculous - comedy is always aimed at those in power, fuck knows how they would have coped with Spitting Image at its peak. If they don't like having the piss taken out of them so much, don't be such a joke.

I seem to remember Spitting Image having Kinnock, Ashdown, and other Labour / Lib-Dem puppets. They took the piss out of everybody.

In general though, I think there is something to be said for more balance. Stand-up comedy has started to become very one-note, just constantly having a go at the Tories. Even somebody who started with an apolitical routine such as Kevin Bridges has had to resort to slagging off Johnson, Trump, et al. to keep getting work.

And that doesn't have to be a return to Manning / Davidson style comedy - that is out of place in society as a whole these days.

But when a show like Mock The Week will call Corbyn 'magic grandpa' and Boris a c**t, and then say that they're balanced, that seems ridiculous.

Boris is a cunt - that is a statement of fact, not a joke. And in the 18 series and more than 300 episodes how many times have they referred to corbyn as 'magic grandpa'?

It wasn't a literal example mate, I thought that much was obvious. Rolleyes
"I'm not a nerd Bart. Nerds are smart"
(09-03-2020, 12:10 PM)Fall Out Boy Wrote:

You’re going to have to explain what redeeming features Trump and Johnson have that means we should show them deference comedically?

It's not about them having redeeming features, it's about laying into Labour, the Lib-Dems, even the SNP (the only Nationalists the left love) with the same reckless abandon that they have for the Tories.

The SNP in particular should be getting a kicking right now for the schools fiasco (as bad as the Tories) and their new laws about 'causing offence', but they seem to be getting a pass.

Boris is a cunt - that is a statement of fact, not a joke. And in the 18 series and more than 300 episodes how many times have they referred to corbyn as 'magic grandpa'?

You mean you have no evidence that they have a bias so you made some up. Although Boris being a cunt is as accurate as you could get I suppose.

And the SNP is a devolved government that only impacts on the areas they control, as it doesn't really affect me or the majority of the country. It represents about 8% of the BBCs audience, surely the UK government being 100% of the BBCs audience is a better demographic to aim for.
(09-02-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Interestingly Geoff Norcott is being put up there as a 'right wing' comedian - I always saw his taking the piss out of the stereotype rather than being actually right wing. Either way (and there is probably a good point in that statement) he is funny.

Well, he's right wing in as much that he admits to being a supporter of the Conservative Party.
(09-03-2020, 02:49 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Interestingly Geoff Norcott is being put up there as a 'right wing' comedian - I always saw his taking the piss out of the stereotype rather than being actually right wing. Either way (and there is probably a good point in that statement) he is funny.

Well, he's right wing in as much that he admits to being a supporter of the Conservative Party.

He makes me laugh so I'll just call him a comedian
(09-03-2020, 03:25 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 02:49 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

He makes me laugh so I'll just call him a comedian

That's fine. He does seem quite sharp witted. Just pointing out why he's being cited as a RW comedian.
Not sure being a supporter of the Conservative Party makes you right wing these days.
(09-04-2020, 07:21 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Not sure being a supporter of the Conservative Party makes you right wing these days.

It does make you a dickhead.
(09-04-2020, 07:21 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Not sure being a supporter of the Conservative Party makes you right wing these days.

The National Populist Party I think they’re rebranding as. The logo will be a fragmented Union Flag and the motto shall read ‘Stronger when they are divided’.
(09-03-2020, 02:32 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 12:10 PM)Fall Out Boy Wrote:

You mean you have no evidence that they have a bias so you made some up. Although Boris being a cunt is as accurate as you could get I suppose.

And the SNP is a devolved government that only impacts on the areas they control, as it doesn't really affect me or the majority of the country. It represents about 8% of the BBCs audience, surely the UK government being 100% of the BBCs audience is a better demographic to aim for.

I wasn't really providing evidence though was I? I was speaking very generally, to make a point. Mock the Week has been on the air so long that Frankie Boyle was actually funny when it started, I'm not combing all the footage for the purposes of a discussion on an internet forum.

You said that comedy should be aimed at people in power, yet you don't seem to like the fact that this does include the SNP. They have devolved power over Scotland, same as there are assemblies in Northern Ireland and Wales. These people have power over peoples daily lives, the same way any number of Tory, Labour, Lib-Dem, etc councils do. So by your own rule about people in power being prime targets, it should be fine to perform a routine poking fun at any of them.
"I'm not a nerd Bart. Nerds are smart"