Favourite track by ... vol 121
Dirty Old Town
Madonna - Pogue
Sally MacLennane (or however it's spelt)
Dirty old town.
Had time to think now and can give a favourite track by followed by some runners up (I take these things seriously)!
1/ Body of an American
2/ Sally MacLennane
3/ Streams of Whisky
4/ A Pair of Brown Eyes
5/ Dark Streets of London
6/ The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
7/ The Boys from the County Hell.
Been playing The Pogues all day, on and off, I'd forgotten just how many great songs they have. After Punk the music scene was dead for me, I had no interest in the New Romantic scene nor Electronica. Then came the ultimate party band. I saw them loads. That Academy gig Duffers mentioned, The Powerhouse, Hummingbird (or whatever it was called then), plus many more. Including St.Andrews where I saw Shane MaGowan pre gig, he had the greyest pallor I have ever seen on someone still alive.
If I were selecting Desert Island Discs, then Body of an American would be in there. Great poetry and a thumping tune.
(09-01-2020, 06:31 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Had time to think now and can give a favourite track by followed by some runners up  (I take these things seriously)!
1/ Body of an American
2/ Sally MacLennane
3/ Streams of Whisky
4/ A Pair of Brown Eyes
5/ Dark Streets of London
6/ The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
7/ The Boys from the County Hell.
Been playing The Pogues all day, on and off, I'd forgotten just how many great songs they have. After Punk the music scene was dead for me, I had no interest in the New Romantic scene nor Electronica. Then came the ultimate party band. I saw them loads. That Academy gig Duffers mentioned, The Powerhouse, Hummingbird (or whatever it was called then), plus many more. Including St.Andrews where I saw Shane MaGowan pre gig, he had the greyest pallor  I have ever seen on someone still alive.
If I were selecting Desert Island Discs, then Body of an American would be in there. Great poetry and a thumping tune.

Saw them there on more than one occasion and once had to make the decision to catch the last train back to Redditch or stay for the encore - the encore it was!
Caught the late bus back to Barnt Green and persuaded my mate that the most direct route home would be along the trail line as no trains would be running.
Didn't know then that were two tracks going through Barnt Green and had to dodge 3 train including the Bristol Express!  Blush
Cracking gig though!!