Nuno
(08-31-2020, 11:27 AM)Squid Wrote: A self-sustaining club is something to be and in times like this, I wouldn't want it any other way.

This. The magic money tree is being dug up at many clubs outside the 'big 6'. To be self sufficient will be vital for the next 2-3 years IMO.
(08-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 10:05 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 09:23 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Leeds relying on getting fans back to Elland Road soon I reckon. That is an advantage they have, a large stadium they can, and will fill.

A 40k capacity ground isn’t the difference between paying £900k for Kipre and £15m for Koch. Ultimately it’s having an ownership willing to invest, and who are willing to speculate to accumulate.

Agree.

There's also a middle ground between the two. We don't need to spend 30m on players like Leeds, but we should be trying to show some ambition. The attitude definitely seems to be "let's try and do enough to get by". 

It's been said repeatedly that Krovinovic is our main target, and he's a good player.....but he started half of our games last season. That's our main target.

We're talking about bringing in Krov, Diangana and Robinson as an ideal situation but this just makes us as strong as last season. Having last seasons squad + Deeney still doesn't make us strong enough.
Good post.
Spending doesn’t have to be reckless, but can be ambitious and push above normal limits. You just have to trust the scouts will get it right.

Had we signed Ollie Watkins a couple of years back we’d have made a nice profit or had a good player.

Pereira has been a good signing because we already know he’ll likely be sold for much more in no time. Brentford have been doing this for a couple of years now and the re-invested player profits have turned them into real challengers. Wolves have, unfortunately, also bought quite well. Jiminez, Traore, Jota and Neves alone will cover a large chunk of any losses.

The problem comes when the scouts get it wrong and the club doesn’t have the means to fund the bad purchases that you’ve over spent on.
(08-30-2020, 11:23 AM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 10:34 AM)sickParrot Wrote: “ We’ve had great success and I want to push on. But the club - much like the area in general - lacks ambition”

Is this a sly dig at bully’s restaurant?

What’s on the menu?

Chaise burgers.  

I remembering Bully doing the grand opening of the butchers in the Ryemarket Stourbridge to great acclaim.  It even made the front page of the Stourbridge News and the Express and Star.  They went but about three months later.
Burke was an investment as an example. An investment that has really, really costed the club significantly since he signed and we will now have to take a massive hit on.

Ots very, very hard to buy a player and guarantee you'll sell him for more. Pereira is the best chance we have of that happening, and considering his former.rep as a.trouble maker when he doesn't get his way, he may not make a profit.

The academy is the best option for that to happen, however when other academies can take a player for free, or a pittance that's ruined to.

We are cautious, we have to be, we are prime position to be the club that isn't rescued and falls through the league all because of one bad summer, it nearly happened when we were relegated. The intelligent decision to bring Jenkins in and Moores amazing job at galvanising the squad cushioned the blow.

It's why I don't expect much from us I guess, I'm not a risk taker in business amd such myself, I tend to play things safe amd slow.
(08-31-2020, 02:16 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Burke was an investment as an example. An investment that has really, really costed the club significantly since he signed and we will now have to take a massive hit on.

Ots very, very hard to buy a player and guarantee you'll sell him for more. Pereira is the best chance we have of that happening, and considering his former.rep as a.trouble maker when he doesn't get his way, he may not make a profit.

The academy is the best option for that to happen, however when other academies can take a player for free, or a pittance that's ruined to.

We are cautious, we have to be, we are prime position to be the club that isn't rescued and falls through the league all because of one bad summer, it nearly happened when we were relegated. The intelligent decision to bring Jenkins in and Moores amazing job at galvanising the squad cushioned the blow.

It's why I don't expect much from us I guess, I'm not a risk taker in business amd such myself, I tend to play things safe amd slow.

The trouble is Burke was already 15 mill or whatever it was when we bought him, a massive amount for us and at that price plenty of chance of his value going down as much as going up. I'd look on players like Ajayi as investments that we buy for pretty small amounts and even if they fail completely we've not lost much.
(08-31-2020, 10:22 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 10:05 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 09:23 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Leeds relying on getting fans back to Elland Road soon I reckon. That is an advantage they have, a large stadium they can, and will fill.

A 40k capacity ground isn’t the difference between paying £900k for Kipre and £15m for Koch. Ultimately it’s having an ownership willing to invest, and who are willing to speculate to accumulate.

Agree.

There's also a middle ground between the two. We don't need to spend 30m on players like Leeds, but we should be trying to show some ambition. The attitude definitely seems to be "let's try and do enough to get by". 

It's been said repeatedly that Krovinovic is our main target, and he's a good player.....but he started half of our games last season. That's our main target.

We're talking about bringing in Krov, Diangana and Robinson as an ideal situation but this just makes us as strong as last season. Having last seasons squad + Deeney still doesn't make us strong enough.

Spot on.

We're struggling to make ourselves as strong as we were last season and that isn't good enough.

One of the main problems in padding out the squad with loanees.
(08-31-2020, 07:53 PM)TartanRug Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 02:16 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Burke was an investment as an example. An investment that has really, really costed the club significantly since he signed and we will now have to take a massive hit on.

The trouble is Burke was already 15 mill or whatever it was when we bought him, a massive amount for us and at that price plenty of chance of his value going down as much as going up. I'd look on players like Ajayi as investments that we buy for pretty small amounts and even if they fail completely we've not lost much.

I imagine that's exactly what we're doing, but then people whine we're not investing in expensive targets