England Squad...
(08-25-2020, 01:35 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 01:30 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: It's Mings only being called up by virtue of being left footed or something? Mee, Tarkowski, Coady, Basham, O'Connell and Baldock are all magnitudes better than him.

To be fair to Mings he hasn’t done much wrong in his appearances and Southgate tends to stick with players who don’t let him down.

He's played two games against Bulgaria and Kosovo.
Peachy Wrote:I can totally see why Grealish hasn't been picked. People can throw whatever stats they like about how good he is but his constant diving and play acting has gone against him. What I've never understood is why no one has taken him to one side and said to him how much more affective he could be if he doesn't dive. His first thought is always to go down. 

It looks to me like it's been a call between Grealish and Foden and Southgate has picked the superior player. Foden is going to be England's best player in the next decade imo.

Have to disagree there, Peachy. I'd say pretty much his whole contribution is diving to win set pieces or to break up play. Certainly something villa use to full advantage.  I've given him serious attention since his comeback from injury in their promotion season and to be honest, he really doesn't offer that much.  Given, he looks great on the ball gliding by and generally acting the show pony, but he really lacks goals. Stand him up and he doesn't get past the defender, 90% of the time he'll simply roll the ball backwards to someone else. He really should have a lot more to his game but I  think he is easy to negate as long as the defender doesn't dive in.
(08-25-2020, 01:45 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 01:30 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: It's Mings only being called up by virtue of being left footed or something? Mee, Tarkowski, Coady, Basham, O'Connell and Baldock are all magnitudes better than him.

To be fair to Mings he hasn’t done much wrong in his appearances and Southgate tends to stick with players who don’t let him down.

And we kept two clean sheets.
Also, further to add to the Mings point, how has Michael Keane been called up when Holgate has been Everton's best defender this season and Keane's performances for England have been extremely underwhelming?

Big Grin
(08-25-2020, 01:50 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Also, further to add to the Mings point, how has Michael Keane been called up when Holgate has been Everton's best defender this season and Keane's performances for England have been extremely underwhelming?

Now that I can’t explain.

The beat I can offer is “he isn’t John Stones”.
(08-25-2020, 01:49 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Against Kosovo and Bulgaria.
(08-25-2020, 01:51 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

You can only keep out what’s in front of you.
Stats wise (I know there is more to the game than stats), Grealish is unlucky not to be included, tbf.

Jack Grealish v English midfielders

- Scored the most goals (8)
- Got the most assists (6)
- Created the most chances (92)
- Won the most free kicks (167)
- Dribbled the furthest (14.1k)
(08-25-2020, 01:56 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 01:51 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 01:35 PM)Duffers Wrote: To be fair to Mings he hasn’t done much wrong in his appearances and Southgate tends to stick with players who don’t let him down.

You can only keep out what’s in front of you.

Mings was crap against Kosovo and only kept a clean sheet by virtue of their strikers being almost shit at finishing chances as we are, and the list of players I listed that are all better than Mings (I'd also add Holgate, Dunk and Tomkins) haven't been given a sniff despite all being better so how are they supposed to keep out what's in front of them?