Burke
Like others have said just getting Burke off the wage bill will be massive although I have my doubts we'll even get away with that totally. I'd imagine we'll still have to pay a portion of them for him to fuck off for a season!

Im struggling to think of a worse signing in terms of money spent to end product. I also don't subscribe to the theory he wasn't given chances. He was and by and large he was underwhelming. I think he also had a surly attitude around the place which I don't think helped. Managers go a lot on what they see everyday on and off the pitch too.

I'd love to know who scouted him. Also we shouldn't  forget Leipzig also scouted him and paid a fair whack for him too. They obviously made the same mistake. Where they did well was to get rid quick!!
(08-18-2020, 05:53 PM)devonbaggie Wrote: on his way?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/offer-comes-we...es-answer/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the above link is the only mention of this story on the internet and Sportswitness are aggregators of news.  The site they cite (Fanatik) in the above linked article is not a direct link to the original article but to the Fanatik website where they said it was sourced from.

Searching the fanatik website, there is no such article about a 2 year loan and in fact, no article mentioning a loan deal at all and the last article on Burke was on 16th Aug. 

https://www.fanatik.com.tr/arama?q=oliver%20burke

I google translated the last couple of articles.

So the original article has been removed or never existed

(08-18-2020, 11:22 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: There’s no way we’ll get any kind of decent fee. As others have said, getting him off the wage bill is the best we’ll do. Hence the two year loan. There won’t be any option to buy as he’d be out of contract then. Saving on his wages is the best we’ll get.

+1

He's 23 now too. Approaching his, ahem, "peak". 31 games at Alaves last season. 1 goal, 2 assists. It's just not going to happen IMO.
(08-18-2020, 08:01 PM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 07:04 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote: 2 year loan deal? Bit unusual.

If they cover his wages then we should snap their hands of as no other fucker will take him.

It surely has to be something like Loan Fee including his Wages plus a pre agreed sale.

Best we can do is probably £5m + maybe add a future 20% sell or buy back just to cover our back like Sorlath he turns into a superstar overnight

The only chance of £5m changing hands, will be if we pay it to them, plus at least half his wages.   Rolleyes
(08-18-2020, 11:49 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 09:48 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Realise I’m in the minority but we’ll regret this.

You're not at all.

I would rather see Bilic and his coaches do what Nuno has done with Traore and try and develop him. 

Burke is bigger and as quick as Traore and needs encouragement, arm round the shoulder and some coaching.  

All I know is that when I went to the Brighton 3-1 debacle he terrorised them.  And then bombed out by tiny twat.   Like Zohore,  he's never been given a chance. 

Why can other players put in shit performances week after week and keep their places and he can't ever be given the oppportunity/ confidence of a run of games.  How can the kid ever be match fit or given the opportunity to justify his signing. 

If anyone knows the inside story then I'm sure we'd all be glad to hear it.

I agree with a lot of this Hoppy.

A lot of fans are writing him off based on a couple poor games 18 months ago when he'd been pretty much frozen out and touted round any club willing to listen for the previous summer. 

I know as little as everyone else around his attitude, but what I do know is we lack bodies up top and we lack money to bring them in. He is lightening quick, his technique is good (I'll focus on his season in La Liga over the fact the ball bounced off him a couple times in a rainy cup match), and he's an absolute unit who can be unstoppable when he turns the burners on. 

Given our only options seem to be loaning him out again with us covering a chunk of his wages, whilst simultaneously dropping his value I'd sooner we invested some time and actual coaching into trying to unlock the potential that saw 2 clubs paying £30m for him. Failing that, we should be loaning him to a club where he'll develop and get that level of coaching and game time... not shipping him out somewhere like Turkey where I guarantee he'll sign a 2 year deal, the English manager will be sacked within a few months /there'll be issues with paying wages - especially after COVID - and he'll be frozen out and we'll have another mess to deal with.
His attitude is that he keeps to himself and doesn't integrate much with his teammates. I'd much rather have this that a twat like Berahino stinking up the place. Some people seem to have an irrational loathing for Burke. He's a player that we chose to spend massive amounts on that so far hasn't reached anywhere near the level he should be for that fee; that's it. He has all the attributes of an athlete not a footballer, as SW4 pointed out a bit like Traore a few years ago.

All I know is if we need a goal in the last 10 minutes and it's a choice between Burke and Leko coming on, while neither option at the moment seems particularly good, it's Burke every time.
(08-19-2020, 08:29 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 09:48 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Realise I’m in the minority but we’ll regret this.

You're not at all.

I would rather see Bilic and his coaches do what Nuno has done with Traore and try and develop him. 

Burke is bigger and as quick as Traore and needs encouragement, arm round the shoulder and some coaching.  

All I know is that when I went to the Brighton 3-1 debacle he terrorised them.  And then bombed out by tiny twat.   Like Zohore,  he's never been given a chance. 

Why can other players put in shit performances week after week and keep their places and he can't ever be given the oppportunity/ confidence of a run of games.  How can the kid ever be match fit or given the opportunity to justify his signing. 

I agree with a lot of this Hoppy.

A lot of fans are writing him off based on a couple poor games 18 months ago when he'd been pretty much frozen out and touted round any club willing to listen for the previous summer. 

I know as little as everyone else around his attitude, but what I do know is we lack bodies up top and we lack money to bring them in. He is lightening quick, his technique is good (I'll focus on his season in La Liga over the fact the ball bounced off him a couple times in a rainy cup match), and he's an absolute unit who can be unstoppable when he turns the burners on. 

Given our only options seem to be loaning him out again with us covering a chunk of his wages, whilst simultaneously dropping his value I'd sooner we invested some time and actual coaching into trying to unlock the potential that saw 2 clubs paying £30m for him. Failing that, we should be loaning him to a club where he'll develop and get that level of coaching and game time... not shipping him out somewhere like Turkey where I guarantee he'll sign a 2 year deal, the English manager will be sacked within a few months /there'll be issues with paying wages - especially after COVID - and he'll be frozen out and we'll have another mess to deal with.

2 clubs. Like I said it's not just us that worked him out. Leipzig did the same. They got rid straight away. Surely if he was any good they would have kept him after spending good money on him.

He has all the attributes you mention. Yes he's quick and he's a unit. The one thing I would say about him whenever I've seen him live, is that for me, he just doesn't seem to have a football brain. He runs in straight lines, his anticipation is poor, his decision making is poor and his end product is badly lacking.

Now if you think that can be trained then great. I would look at the fact he's had the Leipzig manager, Pulis, Moore and Bilic all who didn't fancy him. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Bilic is a fair manager who enjoys making young players better which he proved with Ferguson and O'Shea etc. He saw Burke in training and shipped him out. 

Are they all wrong?
Pulis, Pardew, Shan, Moore, Bilic.

Ay got a clue, have they. He runs really quick he does.
(08-19-2020, 08:36 AM)Sliced Wrote: All I know is if we need a goal in the last 10 minutes and it's a choice between Burke and Leko coming on, while neither option at the moment seems particularly good, it's Burke every time.

Based on what?

Leko scored 5 and made 4 assists last season.

You're not at all.

RB Leipzig  5 years contract. 1 goal in 25 apps. Sold after one season
WBA 5 year contract, 0 goals, 20 apps
Celtic, loan. 4 goals in 14 games.  Celtic fans loved him at first and then changed to disliking him.Got bombed out of side
Aleves, loan. 1 goal in 32 apps with 2 assists (IIRC)

His stats don’t read well.