New Seals Technical Director
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRWh2T8193Do2mWDCknJ...A&usqp=CAU]
(07-30-2020, 04:14 PM)Psalm23 Wrote: Must be good, he worked with Stale Solbakken at Wolves.   Big Grin

Stale bacon you say?

Whatever happened to that cornet?
But can he balance a ball on his nose?
(07-30-2020, 04:52 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 04:42 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: He does rather unfortunately appear to have had a very good record of recruiting at relatively cheap prices and selling on for a healthy profit. Potential change of focus at the Seal Pen. Bugger, it was quite funny watching the locals think that it showed ambition to spunk fuck tons of cash down the drain.

Scandi leagues tend to do that well, as they bring players from lesser known leagues and give them opportunities at a higher level and exposure playing in Europe which usually increases their value exponentially.

It’s a very different skill set finding a bargain in the Czech Republic and bringing them to Denmark compared to finding someone in Germany or Italy that can make an impact in the PL.

I was thinking the exact same thing when reading up on him last night. I'd argue we were doing the same thing for many years (look at the list of players we brought in from Eastern Europe who made negligible impact on the first team). It's a laudable way of doing things, but one that doesn't always reap benefits.

Also, doesn't this rely on having a scouting system in place that identifies these players? I can't see Copenhagen being willing to allow him to use information that they have compiled. Makes me think they might be in for a rocky 12 months - unless they do chuck shitloads of cash at it again.
(07-31-2020, 08:54 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 04:52 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 04:42 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: He does rather unfortunately appear to have had a very good record of recruiting at relatively cheap prices and selling on for a healthy profit. Potential change of focus at the Seal Pen. Bugger, it was quite funny watching the locals think that it showed ambition to spunk fuck tons of cash down the drain.

Scandi leagues tend to do that well, as they bring players from lesser known leagues and give them opportunities at a higher level and exposure playing in Europe which usually increases their value exponentially.

It’s a very different skill set finding a bargain in the Czech Republic and bringing them to Denmark compared to finding someone in Germany or Italy that can make an impact in the PL.

I was thinking the exact same thing when reading up on him last night. I'd argue we were doing the same thing for many years (look at the list of players we brought in from Eastern Europe who made negligible impact on the first team). It's a laudable way of doing things, but one that doesn't always reap benefits.

Also, doesn't this rely on having a scouting system in place that identifies these players? I can't see Copenhagen being willing to allow him to use information that they have compiled. Makes me think they might be in for a rocky 12 months - unless they do chuck shitloads of cash at it again.

If you are going to go top spunking again, I wouldn't have thought you would appoint this kind of person?
Villa had to spend last summer as their side was a mid table championship side with a couple of very good players that clicked at just the right time. They needed 8-9 new players for the first team, plus depth. Unfortunately they had an ownership that could afford it and took the punt that they could scrape over the line, which they did.

Their owners want to make money out of football, and are eyeing up overseas clubs to build a Man City style empire - so I expect they will continue to invest in Villa, but it will be far more measured.