Do we take a long-term view?
(07-25-2020, 08:09 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 07:15 AM)Pragmatist Wrote: Our recruitment policy over the coming week is going to shape the club for the next 5 years.  Let’s be realistic - we are odds on to be relegated next season.  No - I’m not waving a white flag already, but what we need to ensure is that we are in great shape to bounce back even stronger because that’s when we should be in a far better position to consolidate in the Premier League.

That's where failure starts. You've wound the clock back to 2002. I think we're back in 2010, ready and able to stay for the long haul. Truth is we were relegated because Peace was selling and went against his own instincts in appointing Pulis. Peace also recommended the new chairman, John Williams, who was completely incapable of dealing with the self-serving wiles of the shifty Pulis. And Williams appointed Pardew. So our demise was less to do with the football or financial structure of the club, more to do with internal club politics and board level decision making. With the right signings, there is no reason whatsoever to regard relegation as inevitable next season.

Sadly, and I wish I was wrong, without a sizeable investment of new funds from our owner, and I fully understand why it is unlikely to happen, the odds remain stacked against us.  It definitely doesn’t mean that we should throw in the towel before we even start, but it should mean that we don’t just go out and buy a series of experienced older players who would then not be of any use to us if we did go back down again. 

What I would order prefer is a strategy which will be suitable whatever division we are in, by acquiring young hungry players.  I don’t want us signing any more Barrys and Austins.

(07-25-2020, 08:37 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 07:15 AM)Pragmatist Wrote: Our recruitment policy over the coming week is going to shape the club for the next 5 years.  Let’s be realistic - we are odds on to be relegated next season.  No - I’m not waving a white flag already, but what we need to ensure is that we are in great shape to bounce back even stronger because that’s when we should be in a far better position to consolidate in the Premier League.

That's where failure starts. You've wound the clock back to 2002. I think we're back in 2010, ready and able to stay for the long haul. Truth is we were relegated because Peace was selling and went against his own instincts in appointing Pulis. Peace also recommended the new chairman, John Williams, who was completely incapable of dealing with the self-serving wiles of the shifty Pulis. And Williams appointed Pardew. So our demise was less to do with the football or financial structure of the club, more to do with internal club politics and board level decision making. With the right signings, there is no reason whatsoever to regard relegation as inevitable next season.

Whoah let’s not rewrite history we appointed Burton and Irvine, recruited appallingly in the Summer having lost half a squad for next to nothing. The players we brought in were well below the standard required and I don’t think one of those players had any resale value. We were hovering just above the relegation zone, with a deeply unpopular (or more accurately figure of fun) ‘Head Coach’ who was out of his depth until we appointed Pulis. The problems with the ‘football department’ were there long before Pulis arrived which isn’t fashionable on here to say but is a fact.

We should be looking to stay up, the idea we can build for the future is lovely but in reality most of our best players would be picked off by Prem clubs if we get relegated and we shall be left with the good for the Champ not good enough for the Prem players and start all over again. The reason we stayed up last time was because we found a bargain goal scorer in Odenwingie, had two or three players who made the step up and a certain Mr Roy Hodgson fall in our lap.

The point about our best players being picked off by the PL clubs is key.  So what?  We would get good cash for them and that allows us to reinvest to replace them.  That compares with getting relegated and being stuck with elderly has-beens that we end up being stuck with.  The harsh reality is that we will never hold on to our top players.  That’s just where we are in the pecking order.  We will get one more season from Pereira.  If we stay up then it will be because he’s had a great season. If we go down somebody will snap him up. That’s just how it is.
(07-25-2020, 10:08 AM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: Presuming that player valuations outside of the PL fall dramatically, which seems a given, will be we see more chances being given to those players vs overseas players ?  There are obviously notable exceptions but the number of players making the step up from the lower divisions (particularly L1/L2) has slowed down to a trickle.

Consider our 78/79 team:  2 signed from non-league (!) Godden, Regis; 2 from Div 3 (Batson, Wile); 2 from Div 2 (A Brown, Cunningham); the rest from the youth set up (Statham, Ally Rob, Cantello, Robson, Bomber).   All clubs were the same-Toshack and Keegan from Div 2/4; Coppell from Div 4, etc etc.   Oh and the manager was from Div 3 as well, which definitely wouldn't happen, though it would make more sense than hiring the head coach of another PL team's Academy...

The reasons for this are numerous of course; I just wonder whether there is that quality lurking down there still and whether at more reasonable prices more chances will be taken ?

There’s quality down there HWB but times have moved on. It’s unlikely there are any players in L1&2 who could step straight into a PL side and perform to the level those players did. The gap in fitness, technique and facilities is just too big to bridge.

There are players in the Championship who could certainly do it, but it would take a very exceptional talent to jump 2-3 divisions with ease.
Bilic will know who he wants like he did last summer with Pereira and Krov. 

Any Croatian legends out of contract he might persuade to come to B71?  Wink
I think the way covid has/will affect the economy, has made our promotion even more important this time. I would hope our future is secure for the foreseeable and if that means not going OTT on spending thats fine by me.

We have a future.. unlike, I fear, many other clubs.
(07-25-2020, 10:33 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Sadly, and I wish I was wrong, without a sizeable investment of new funds from our owner, and I fully understand why it is unlikely to happen, the odds remain stacked against us.  It definitely doesn’t mean that we should throw in the towel before we even start, but it should mean that we don’t just go out and buy a series of experienced older players who would then not be of any use to us if we did go back down again. 

What I would order prefer is a strategy which will be suitable whatever division we are in, by acquiring young hungry players.  I don’t want us signing any more Barrys and Austins.

(07-25-2020, 08:37 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Whoah let’s not rewrite history we appointed Burton and Irvine, recruited appallingly in the Summer having lost half a squad for next to nothing. The players we brought in were well below the standard required and I don’t think one of those players had any resale value. We were hovering just above the relegation zone, with a deeply unpopular (or more accurately figure of fun) ‘Head Coach’ who was out of his depth until we appointed Pulis. The problems with the ‘football department’ were there long before Pulis arrived which isn’t fashionable on here to say but is a fact.

We should be looking to stay up, the idea we can build for the future is lovely but in reality most of our best players would be picked off by Prem clubs if we get relegated and we shall be left with the good for the Champ not good enough for the Prem players and start all over again. The reason we stayed up last time was because we found a bargain goal scorer in Odenwingie, had two or three players who made the step up and a certain Mr Roy Hodgson fall in our lap.

The point about our best players being picked off by the PL clubs is key.  So what?  We would get good cash for them and that allows us to reinvest to replace them.  That compares with getting relegated and being stuck with elderly has-beens that we end up being stuck with.  The harsh reality is that we will never hold on to our top players.  That’s just where we are in the pecking order.  We will get one more season from Pereira.  If we stay up then it will be because he’s had a great season. If we go down somebody will snap him up. That’s just how it is.

Just buying players with potential will not mean they will develop into Prem players and going up and down the devisions only adds to risk. I think you’re in danger of over complicating the recruitment process. We need to find a balance of players some young, some experienced that are potentially and proven Prem players etc. Not every player has to have potential resale value likewise not every player we buy has to be the wrong side of say 28.
(07-25-2020, 11:03 AM)Hopalong Wrote: Bilic will know who he wants like he did last summer with Pereira and Krov. 

mario mandzukic Wink
(07-25-2020, 12:46 PM)mattaky Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 11:03 AM)Hopalong Wrote: Bilic will know who he wants like he did last summer with Pereira and Krov. 

mario mandzukic Wink

Watch this space  Wink
The latest Guardian podcast worth a listen for an objective view of things not just in the prem.
Mixed views on us. One bloke said our relegation deserved cos we didn't offer anything to the league.
I see his point, despite my natural bias.
And a great reaction from a Swansea journalist/fan who gets football support.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blo..._clipboard
It's going to be living within our income at best as China will I'm sure put the block on prem capital investment as previously given current relations.  

Fosun will no doubt get round it somehow  Rolleyes
(07-25-2020, 12:54 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:

Absolutely. The inevitable shift to a Pulis ball team and all the despair that goes with it, leading to relegation and the following problems of changing this 'style' and getting promoted. But we did it. And I am sure the lesson has been learned and his like will not darken our doors again (not at least until the memory fades and civilisation falls...) But though Peace is gone, Jenkins and Lai are following the same model we are told, so whilst there is no inevitability of going down, the same approach to transfers may apply, leading to last minute panics and who know what. Hopefully we get the quality striker we need before the panic sets in.

We were falling to pieces in the Football Department before Pulis was necessary to stop the rot for a couple of seasons until the wheels fell off again. I don’t think I imagined Burton, Irvine, Samaras, Davidson, Gamboa, Blanco etc.