Do we take a long-term view?
(07-25-2020, 01:59 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 01:58 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 12:54 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 08:09 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 07:15 AM)Pragmatist Wrote: Our recruitment policy over the coming week is going to shape the club for the next 5 years.  Let’s be realistic - we are odds on to be relegated next season.  No - I’m not waving a white flag already, but what we need to ensure is that we are in great shape to bounce back even stronger because that’s when we should be in a far better position to consolidate in the Premier League.

That's where failure starts. You've wound the clock back to 2002. I think we're back in 2010, ready and able to stay for the long haul. Truth is we were relegated because Peace was selling and went against his own instincts in appointing Pulis. Peace also recommended the new chairman, John Williams, who was completely incapable of dealing with the self-serving wiles of the shifty Pulis. And Williams appointed Pardew. So our demise was less to do with the football or financial structure of the club, more to do with internal club politics and board level decision making. With the right signings, there is no reason whatsoever to regard relegation as inevitable next season.

Absolutely. The inevitable shift to a Pulis ball team and all the despair that goes with it, leading to relegation and the following problems of changing this 'style' and getting promoted. But we did it. And I am sure the lesson has been learned and his like will not darken our doors again (not at least until the memory fades and civilisation falls...) But though Peace is gone, Jenkins and Lai are following the same model we are told, so whilst there is no inevitability of going down, the same approach to transfers may apply, leading to last minute panics and who know what. Hopefully we get the quality striker we need before the panic sets in.

We were falling to pieces in the Football Department before Pulis was necessary to stop the rot for a couple of seasons until the wheels fell off again. I don’t think I imagined Burton, Irvine, Samaras, Davidson, Gamboa, Blanco etc.
Pulis caused the biggest rot, I know I did not imagine the football and the money spent and the relegation

I don't think I implied that Pulis was the sole reason for our eventual relegation, although maybe Derek took it that way. Peace made some bad decisions pre-Pulis and Saint Tony steadied the ship for sure. It was his apparent lack of interest in building on the 13th and 10th place finishes that should have been dealt with. Williams just didn't seem to understand that Tony wasn't functioning - then he appointed Pardew.

I'll never be an apologist for Pulis. I hate his pragmatic view of football, I deplore his weaselly self-serving ways, his habit of switching off when 40 points is reached. But he did get us to a point where we could have kicked on, or at least maintained a level of achievement. He gave up on that.
(07-25-2020, 04:53 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 12:54 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 08:09 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: That's where failure starts. You've wound the clock back to 2002. I think we're back in 2010, ready and able to stay for the long haul. Truth is we were relegated because Peace was selling and went against his own instincts in appointing Pulis. Peace also recommended the new chairman, John Williams, who was completely incapable of dealing with the self-serving wiles of the shifty Pulis. And Williams appointed Pardew. So our demise was less to do with the football or financial structure of the club, more to do with internal club politics and board level decision making. With the right signings, there is no reason whatsoever to regard relegation as inevitable next season.

Absolutely. The inevitable shift to a Pulis ball team and all the despair that goes with it, leading to relegation and the following problems of changing this 'style' and getting promoted. But we did it. And I am sure the lesson has been learned and his like will not darken our doors again (not at least until the memory fades and civilisation falls...) But though Peace is gone, Jenkins and Lai are following the same model we are told, so whilst there is no inevitability of going down, the same approach to transfers may apply, leading to last minute panics and who know what. Hopefully we get the quality striker we need before the panic sets in.

We were falling to pieces in the Football Department before Pulis was necessary to stop the rot for a couple of seasons until the wheels fell off again. I don’t think I imagined Burton, Irvine, Samaras, Davidson, Gamboa, Blanco etc.
Pulis caused the biggest rot, I know I did not imagine the football and the money spent and the relegation

I don't think I implied that Pulis was the sole reason for our eventual relegation, although maybe Derek took it that way. Peace made some bad decisions pre-Pulis and Saint Tony steadied the ship for sure. It was his apparent lack of interest in building on the 13th and 10th place finishes that should have been dealt with. Williams just didn't seem to understand that Tony wasn't functioning - then he appointed Pardew.

I'll never be an apologist for Pulis. I hate his pragmatic view of football, I deplore his weaselly self-serving ways, his habit of switching off when 40 points is reached. But he did get us to a point where we could have kicked on, or at least maintained a level of achievement. He gave up on that.

Probably didn't know how - "fear of failure" was his mantra as he said to Tai.  I wonder if he still follows our fortunes - Tai that is?  Loved that documentary, shame we just couldn't do it - one Saints goal if I recall prevented it going to the last day.  I went to Palace and you could see the players were absolutely gutted and were going through the motions.
(07-26-2020, 09:41 AM)Hopalong Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 04:53 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 12:54 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote: Absolutely. The inevitable shift to a Pulis ball team and all the despair that goes with it, leading to relegation and the following problems of changing this 'style' and getting promoted. But we did it. And I am sure the lesson has been learned and his like will not darken our doors again (not at least until the memory fades and civilisation falls...) But though Peace is gone, Jenkins and Lai are following the same model we are told, so whilst there is no inevitability of going down, the same approach to transfers may apply, leading to last minute panics and who know what. Hopefully we get the quality striker we need before the panic sets in.

Probably didn't know how - "fear of failure" was his mantra as he said to Tai.  I wonder if he still follows our fortunes - Tai that is?  Loved that documentary, shame we just couldn't do it - one Saints goal if I recall prevented it going to the last day.  I went to Palace and you could see the players were absolutely gutted and were going through the motions.

Yes, Tai still follows us and regularly texts the Albion fan he painted.