Don't blame Slav
(07-17-2020, 08:47 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 08:34 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 08:20 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 07:59 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 07:40 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Fulham have a better squad than us.

Our defence today consisted of a Scunthorpe reserve left back, a inexperienced youth player and a young lad from Rotherham who has only played one season in the Championship before this year.

It's hard to judge. Most thought play offs at the start of the season and Slav maybe over achieved early on and is paying the price of expectations raised now. But Slav has done well overall, and that shows because it is rare he gets much stick, and we are near the end of the season. 
There were some who were anti him when he joined who will put the boot in now because that's how they are, but most criticism is measured and for sure he makes mistakes sometimes. But I doubt there is a better more experienced coach who was a realistic target out there who could have done more with our squad. He can't score the goals himself though when we make the chances - those misses are down to our squad weaknesses - and we should have more points from the last few games based on our performances and be up.

I haven’t seen anyone put the boot in and hardly anyone has levelled more than a few minor quibbles with him since he arrived. 

The squad is easily good enough for promotion. Up until tonight i was calm and collected about us going up but today was a shambles and imo if you choke the leads we have had at the top of the league we have, you do have to ask questions of the manager just as much as the team.

That was my point - very few quibbles until now, because he has done a good job.
The OTT useless etc comments are putting the boot in and missing that, but most criticisms are measured as I said. The squad we think is good enough for promotion is based on how well Slav did with it and how quickly he got them to gel, not based on most of the board's expectations of play offs pre season. Some were very anti him when he was appointed and I'm not surprised at some of the comments though. I would not sack or want to lose Bilic, put it that way, and I still think he was a very good appointment for us.

If some think that this squad was only good enough for the Play Offs then they are going to have us down for possible relegation next season when we lose players. There aren’t any excuses for not getting promoted as there weren’t last season. There will be next when the financial shit hits the fan. 

I hope Slav can get them up for the fight for the Play Offs now because I fear that some fans idea of utopia of staying in the Championship for years playing the kids will be a reality and most of those saying they’d enjoy it will have fecked off like they did in the 90s

This. People will soon get sick of it when we're just another side making up the numbers and back we go to the 15k crowds. Had 20 years of this garbage in the 80s and 90s and theres every danger of going back to it now.
(07-17-2020, 09:21 PM)devonstroller Wrote: Slav is the best manager we've had in a long while. I'd be more than happy with him for another season in the championship but I can't see him staying sadly. He's done very little wrong this season, and even that is an understatement. The wheels have well and truly come off since restart,  but wouldn't judge him on that spell alone.

Better than Roy? Hell, at this level, better than Megson? 

I was and am still happy with him overall, but he has some questions to qnswer now.
Can’t see him staying? We going to sack him then? If he thinks he can walk into a better job after failing to get this team promoted with a huge wage bill in this division, he’s deluded. I fully expect him to be here unless we sack him, which I doubt we will.
I just said to my dad that my biggest fear is that we will end up becoming the next Blues, back to the dark days of nothingness. Tonight has made that distinctly more plausible.
(07-17-2020, 09:25 PM)MassDebater Wrote: I just said to my dad that my biggest fear is that we will end up becoming the next Blues, back to the dark days of nothingness. Tonight has made that distinctly more plausible.

You've still got your dad and your football team - it could be worse!

I just look forward to taking my lad to a game!

We aren't as good as everyone thought we are. Goalkeeper is awful, few in midfield are awful, no front line.