Post match thread
If anyone has access to the internet, rams tv has extended highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1IpO8Ezt3c
A very satisfying performance, arguably the best of the season. I'll temper that view though with the opinion that a) the ref was a bit of a homer despite missing the penalty and b) Derby were without Waghorn and Lawrence which blunted them. But you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with aplomb. The only disappointment is the goals scored column didn't reflect how good we were.
I know the game has moved on (a euphemistic way of saying I'm a bit of a dinosaur) but I do think that, with the way we play, we often work the ball out wide with the opposition on the back foot. An old fashioned 'whip in an early cross' for whoever's up front and a couple of midfield runners might be an effective tactic, as long as it wasn't overdone.

It doesn't seem to be such a feature of the modern game, probably because it risks surrendering possession.
(07-09-2020, 08:16 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: A very satisfying performance, arguably the best of the season. I'll temper that view though with the opinion that a) the ref was a bit of a homer despite missing the penalty and b) Derby were without Waghorn and Lawrence which blunted them. But you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with aplomb. The only disappointment is the goals scored column didn't reflect how good we were.

I'm missing the bit about the referee being a homer.

The booking for their lad diving was harsh, but it was never a freekick. The penalty shout I think would have been soft but have seen them given so think he probably got that one about right. The only one he got wrong was the red card, which never was but it had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game.

I barely noticed the referee last night, which means he must have been alright.
(07-09-2020, 08:40 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 08:16 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: A very satisfying performance, arguably the best of the season. I'll temper that view though with the opinion that a) the ref was a bit of a homer despite missing the penalty and b) Derby were without Waghorn and Lawrence which blunted them. But you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with aplomb. The only disappointment is the goals scored column didn't reflect how good we were.

The booking for their lad diving was harsh, but it was never a freekick. The penalty shout I think would have been soft but have seen them given so think he probably got that one about right. The only one he got wrong was the red card, which never was but it had absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game.

Well you cited 2 examples of decisions benefitting us right there. I thought a couple of our players should have had bookings (based on what their players were booked for). Rooney was having a go at the ref at HT and at the 4th official after he came off and I think I can understand why. It didn't have a material effect on the result, but I just don't want to get carried away with yesterday's win (as indeed, I also avoid meltdowns when we lose).
I thought the ref did ok. Their player did dive, and their player did flick his foot at our player (tbf our players reaction was a bit ott but there was a flick of the foot aimed at him).

The penalty was a pen, but not given. He didn't book Rooney for hauling Pereira down in the build up to the 'amazing' Rooney block either, so pretty even ref I thought. As was said barely noticed him = mustve been ok.
(07-09-2020, 08:46 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 08:40 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:

Well you cited 2 examples of decisions benefitting us right there. I thought a couple of our players should have had bookings (based on what their players were booked for). Rooney was having a go at the ref at HT and at the 4th official after he came off and I think I can understand why. It didn't have a material effect on the result, but I just don't want to get carried away with yesterday's win (as indeed, I also avoid meltdowns when we lose).

Neither of those examples benefitted us. The booking for the dive was harsh, but it wasn't a freekick. So we restarted with a throw in about five yards away and the game was well won by the time he sent their lad off. Unless I've missed something.