Zohore and Austin
Anichebe never managed more than six goals in a season. Zohore has got more in both his last two Championship seasons

It is a worry that he get compared to Sick Vic, unfortunately it seems a fair thing to do
(06-28-2020, 09:37 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Austin is past his prime, isn't fit enough and too slow. I'm amazed that some fans think we should start with him.

I'm in the Austin camp because even with his faults (which have been discussed on gory detail here), the guy still scores. Do you realize his goals per match is .63, or a goal every 143 minutes! This puts him 4th in the Championship amongst forwards, and 7th overall. The great Mitrovic, who I always see people salivating over, is at .64 goals per match. He is doing this with a ridiculously small amount of playing time (so he's not really in form). Remember when we were scoring goals, Austin was coming in off the bench and scoring every match even though he was just given 25 minutes or so.

Austin can get goals, and we need goals. If we have to move from a single striker to a 2 or 3 upfront, then so be it. If we continue to not score we will not go up anyway. Austin offers us our best chance at scoring, not Zohore and certainly not HRK.

The above stats came from footystats, the link is https://footystats.org/england/championship/players
(06-28-2020, 12:36 PM)scotbaggie Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 09:37 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Austin is past his prime, isn't fit enough and too slow. I'm amazed that some fans think we should start with him.

I'm in the Austin camp because even with his faults (which have been discussed on gory detail here), the guy still scores. Do you realize his goals per match is .63, or a goal every 143 minutes! This puts him 4th in the Championship amongst forwards, and 7th overall. The great Mitrovic, who I always see people salivating over, is at .64 goals per match. He is doing this with a ridiculously small amount of playing time (so he's not really in form). Remember when we were scoring goals, Austin was coming in off the bench and scoring every match even though he was just given 25 minutes or so.

Austin can get goals, and we need goals. If we have to move from a single striker to a 2 or 3 upfront, then so be it. If we continue to not score we will not go up anyway. Austin offers us our best chance at scoring, not Zohore and certainly not HRK.

The above stats came from footystats, the link is https://footystats.org/england/championship/players

That just tells me Austin is a great penalty taker.
(06-28-2020, 09:18 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 09:07 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 09:02 AM)Cuzer Wrote: I’m in the Zahore camp and have been all season! Austin has not looked fit once since he’s played for us and the few times he has started, Wigan away being a prime example the team struggles as he just doesn’t link play or suit how we build up against the opposition

His record of goal scoring speaks volumes and coming on as a sub or when we go two up top he’s an option but I’m pretty sure he will be moved on in the summer regardless, if we can get rid as he’s on top money

Zahore should really be our best option, as a striker he really does have the lot, the two things he seems to lack are desire and belief, hence why he’s not playing I guess

Cuzer

Slav thought he could probably instil it as he's shown none of that anywhere else he's been..for £8m that was a massive gamble. A very expensive failure. What amazes me is that we've created some great youngsters in defence and midfield but nothing up top.

Morgan Rodgers might have played a part if he hadn't been poached!

Also got Morton coming through and below him Jevon Malcolm (who will also get taken from us). And Rico Richards.

Morton and Malcolm are out and out strikers, Rodgers and Richards play off the striker in fairness

I think Rodgers would have played a fair bit this season if he stayed, a real one that got away him, Malcolm and Richards really worry me as two potential top players, I'd have Richards ahead of Malcolm currently but big clubs sniffing, and those cunts from down the road

Big time for our Acadamy these next 6 months, so many changes taken place imperative we hold on to our talent

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
(06-28-2020, 10:02 AM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 09:54 AM)B36baggie Wrote: Zohore getting a bit of a slating on here yet if his rocket that smashed the bar would have been a couple of inches lower everyone would have been saying how great he had done. Fine margins.
Is Zohores problem a confidence / self belief thing? When I first saw him, I thought he would be a real asset in this league, with good service etc.

Aunties bollocks and uncles...

I'm sure there are hundreds of strikers in the lower leagues who'd have made it if that Wonderstrike had have gone in.
(06-27-2020, 08:33 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 02:22 PM)Cuzer Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 12:15 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 12:09 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: We could have had Gayle for a similar price for what we paid for those 2.

I didn't think he wanted to come?

I still think we go up but the work we have to do to that squad to make it effective and competitive is scary.

You’ve answered your question, that’s why we brought Austin, last minute dot com when Gayle turned us down, we didn’t really have a plan B as we expected Gayle to come

Cuzer

Well I never asked the question in the first place?

However, we seem to seem to deal in the currency of desperation on these things. Anichibe being a prime example - an absolute disgrace.

Austin is good enough at this level - just. But the one above - nowhere near.

How can he not be 'nowhere near good enough at this level' when he has a far better goal ratio per minutes on the pitch than Austin and Kanu?  He virtually single-handedly fired Cardiff to promotion to the Prem earning them 200m.  He has been given 6 starts this season whilst Kanu has been given 23.  

It's quite simple, Zohore hasn't been given an opportunity and when he has we haven't really played to his strengths,  which is mainly running onto through balls, outpacing/muscling defenders and putting the ball in the net.  He rarely misses when presented with a decent chance.

(06-28-2020, 09:02 AM)Cuzer Wrote: I’m in the Zahore camp and have been all season! Austin has not looked fit once since he’s played for us and the few times he has started, Wigan away being a prime example the team struggles as he just doesn’t link play or suit how we build up against the opposition

His record of goal scoring speaks volumes and coming on as a sub or when we go two up top he’s an option but I’m pretty sure he will be moved on in the summer regardless, if we can get rid as he’s on top money

Zahore should really be our best option, as a striker he really does have the lot, the two things he seems to lack are desire and belief, hence why he’s not playing I guess

Cuzer

I agree with most of that Cuzer, where I a disagree is the 'desire and belief' bit....confidence maybe? He never starts or hardly ever gets in the 18  -  would you not become frustrated/down-hearted, particularly if you are a confidence player and need a manager who believes in you?   

In my opinion he's our best all round striker - quicker and stronger than the other two and a better finisher.  Even with the very limited opportunities he's had this season, he has scored 5 goals.  He's had 651 minutes which is disgraceful.  Austin has had 1,128 and Kanu 2,135.  If he had had as many minutes as Kanu he'd have scored a lot more goals.  

How many chances that Kanu and Austin have missed would he have converted?  We'll never know, but the stats would seem to indicate a lot more!  Also,  how many more chances would have been created had he played (and had we played to his strengths - pace and power)  would he have converted?

(06-28-2020, 09:55 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 09:36 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 12:15 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote: I didn't think he wanted to come?

I still think we go up but the work we have to do to that squad to make it effective and competitive is scary.

You’ve answered your question, that’s why we brought Austin, last minute dot com when Gayle turned us down, we didn’t really have a plan B as we expected Gayle to come

Cuzer

However, we seem to seem to deal in the currency of desperation on these things. Anichibe being a prime example - an absolute disgrace.

How can he not be 'nowhere near good enough at this level' when he has a far better goal ratio per minutes on the pitch than Austin and Kanu?  He virtually single-handedly fired Cardiff to promotion to the Prem earning them 200m.  He has been given 6 starts this season whilst Kanu has been given 23.  

It's quite simple, Zohore hasn't been given an opportunity and when he has we haven't really played to his strengths,  which is mainly running onto through balls, outpacing/muscling defenders and putting the ball in the net.  He rarely misses when presented with a decent chance.

But if our gameplan doesn't suit his style, why sign him?

Aha!   So was he a Luke signing that Slaven didn't want?

(06-27-2020, 10:26 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 08:16 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Zahore is about as effective as Sick Vic was.

He's in the Anichebe, Luke Moore, De Freitas bracket. Has the physique and talent. Just not the desire/heart/confidence whatever is it that held the others back too.

Cheers Sigmund!   Rolleyes
(06-28-2020, 09:36 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 12:15 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 12:09 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: We could have had Gayle for a similar price for what we paid for those 2.

I didn't think he wanted to come?

Cuzer

But if our gameplan doesn't suit his style, why sign him?