Favourite Gig Venues
The Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury - Quite frankly there’s no better place on earth to watch a band, especially a headliner.

The Roundhouse, Camden - Cool as fuck, feels tiny but they get huge bands sometimes. Seen Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, The Strokes, QOTSA and more there.

Birmingham Academy - The old one, under Argos, had some fantastic nights there.

Castlefield Bowl, Manchester - Outdoor amphitheater next to the canals and under the railway arches in the centre of Manchester. Another incredibly cool place.

Hare and Hounds, Kings Heath - Sweaty as fuck, boozer downstairs is great too.
I had many great evenings at The Odeon on New Street, back in the day. An absolute tragedy when they converted it to a multi screen cinema.

I also liked The Hummingbird/Academy in Dale End.

JB's in Dudley was another brilliant venue.

Down here in London, I like the sweatbox that is The Underworld in Camden and The Roundhouse, just up the road.
Always enjoyed Shepherds Bush Empire. Good sound, and an old fashioned feel to it.

For magnificence, it has to be the Royal Albert Hall.

Quirkiness - Quo gig at Dudley Castle in 2007
The Institute was/is good and I liked The Hummingbird also. The Robin is a favourite too.. even the new one in Dinglehampton.

Aside from the Midlands ones I really liked Holmfirth Picturedrome and Trentham Gardens (sadly a garden centre now).
The Globe- Cardiff
Tramshed- Cardiff
Colston Hall- Bristol (although it will soon be called something else,in fact the signage is being taken down today,mixed feelings as this venue was a big part of my youth watching some great bands)
(06-15-2020, 10:40 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Always enjoyed Shepherds Bush Empire. Good sound, and an old fashioned feel to it.

RAH is a great shout. I have been fortunate enough to watch a performance from the Royal Box - I knew someone who worked at Buckingham Palace and when the royals weren’t using it they’d raffle the use of it off to staff.
Birmingham Institute
Birmingham Que Club
Wolvo Civic
Spent a lot of nights in the academy 2 and hare and hounds which are both great venues. The best ever festival venue was the Butlins that All Tomorrow's Parties used to use. Watch a band and then meet them in the water park the next morning Big Grin

If anyone ever finds themselves in Lyon or Verona then both of these places have amazing Roman amphitheatres that are still used for gigs. Not the greatest for anything where you want to dance as its all stone seating but pretty incredible to think you're plonking your arse to watch a gig in the same spot as some other bloke 2000 years ago.
The Olympia, Liverpool - a onetime boxing venue
Albert Hall, Manchester - former Methodist Central Hall
Somerset House, London - not strictly a music venue, but saw Sigur Ros there, one of my most memorable gigs
JBs, Dudley - just because it's JBs
The Bowery Ballroom, New York - my favourite venue when i lived in NYC
DC9, Washington - ditto but when i lived in Washington. Ian Mackaye of Fugazi was always at the bar, would always have a chat and beer with me if I popped in.
(06-15-2020, 10:55 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 10:40 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Always enjoyed Shepherds Bush Empire. Good sound, and an old fashioned feel to it.

RAH is a great shout. I have been fortunate enough to watch a performance from the Royal Box - I knew someone who worked at Buckingham Palace and when the royals weren’t using it they’d raffle the use of it off to staff.

Saw Nick Cave there a few years ago and got vertigo  !!