Food your mom used to cook that you no longer eat
(06-09-2020, 09:02 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Bread and butter pudding with sultanas in!

Bit main stream I know but the Mary Berry recipe is lush
(06-10-2020, 07:09 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 07:05 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 09:02 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Bread and butter pudding with sultanas in!

Delicious. However, only a few sultanas please.

I used to have to make it half and half for my kids as one liked it with sultanas and the other didn’t.

So... 

The Sultana Kid

and the NoSultana Kid. 

I bet the latter got ratty if a rogue dried fruit made it into the mix...
Fuck me there's some fussy eaters on here.
My mom made a truly disgusting steak & kidney pie (dry?!) which me and my brother would eat because we had to. She never made bread & butter pudding but my dad's sister did, which was fantastic, and so it pissed me off my mum couldn't or wouldn't. She did make fabulous bread pudding however (?!) Made a wonderful apple pie also. The real irony about all this is that my dad was a great cook because his mother had been a cook in service in Yorkshire and taught him to cook but as a working man he very rarely did so. Except for Oxtail Stew - which he wouldn't trust my mom to make - and that was simply fantastic. Oh and Christmas dinner, which he also weighed in on and was invariably superb.
Not cooked as such but Sunday teas always stuck in my mind from when I was a kid,
it was always ham sandwiches (luncheon meat) chopped salad with onion soaked in vinegar , tinned peaches and cream (evaporated milk) cup of tea followed by a homemade fruit cake!
Sounds simple and it was but it was the only day it happened
Cheese and potato pie. Absolutely brilliant. Usually served with a couple of sausages.
(06-10-2020, 10:49 AM)Bartley_baggie Wrote: Not cooked as such but Sunday teas always stuck in my mind from when I was a kid,
it was always ham sandwiches (luncheon meat) chopped salad with onion soaked in vinegar , tinned peaches and cream (evaporated milk) cup of tea followed by a homemade fruit cake!
Sounds simple and it was but it was the only day it happened

I’d forgotten about that.

My grandparents used to make a salad that always had ham and tongue and often tinned pears for desert.
Corned beef fritters - bit of a fave as a kid 
Boil in the bag cod and parsley sauce - I nearly always order fish in restaurants now but hated it until I left home
"Curry" - was always the remnants of whatever meat we'd eaten previously with some sultanas and peas thrown in (see above)
Frozen pizza (usualy from Kwik Save) - in those days they were always made with cheddar or similar and were fuggin horrible

Then the old man would boil pigs' trotters which would stink the house out and were never touched by me and my sister.

My nan would cook sprouts by peeling them, cross the bottom, then throw them into boiling water as she did them. So some would be as soft as mush, some hard as bullets.

I don't miss the food from the 70s and 80s at all, I'll have to admit.
No one has mentioned vesta curries.
You beat me to it, they were awful! Do they still make them?