The Big Match Revisited ITV4 10.30
(06-07-2020, 09:17 PM)Peachy Wrote: Just watched this on catch up. Great watch. 

My first game was 1982 so I missed out on the mid to late 70's side.

One player I did notice was Ian Edwards. A player I know nothing about. I just called my old man and asked about him but he couldn't remember too much about him despite him being a season ticket holder back then!

Big blond Welsh lad playing no 11. Anyone got any more info or memories of him? Wiki says 16 games and 3 goals.

Great to here TLMS sang towards the end but at a much slower pace than today.

He was just not quite good enough. Always had his back to goal. I saw him a couple of times. He had one great game for Wales after when he got 4 or 5 goals v some minnow nation, possibly Malta. He got a spectacular goal v Derby playing for Wrexham https://youtu.be/Fj3-KLm11Ec Anyway he had an ok lower league career.
Seem to remember Ian Edwards scoring on his debut v sheff wed in a 4-0 win, peroxide blond hair and looked a beast but in effect was a poor mans Joe Mayo.

(06-07-2020, 09:01 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 11:50 AM)garyowensneck Wrote: Crowd fluctuations drove me mad  in the 1970's 38k for Valencia on Wednesday 19k for Middlesbrough on Saturday, hardly due to a difference in away support. Am more happy with the 24/5k these days.

Give me the old days any day and the choice of just turning up on the day. 
I knew a lad I worked with and his dad and just used to meet up with them in the Woodman pub and then stand on the left hand side of the Brummie. As a lad in my early 20s my attendance depended on how wild my Friday night had been.
Crowd fluctuations were the norm for all clubs. 
Regarding the 80s attendances they tailed off everywhere as economic woes hit the country and football violence.
Hard to believe that in the mid 80s we were often getting crowds of 8000, but everywhere it was the same.
Don't get me wrong Spandau I loved my football in the 70's but very much prefer seeing a fullish house every week.