Advice needed.
My Dad just recently passed away after a long illness. Imm an only child and his will leaves me as sole beneficiary. His total estate including his property is worth around 250k. Question is do I need probate? I have no idea of how to go about this. Thanks in advance.
Sorry for your loss, mate. Did he leave a will, because that will impact on the route you have to take.

I think at £250K you will be below the level, but it's been years since I last revisited this

Some kind soul on here will be up to date, though.
WB, firstly condolences on your loss. There are a couple of sites which might help you to get started...

CAB

Gov.uk
Sorry to hear of your loss.
My condolences to you and your family , and sorry i cant offer you any legal advice but all the best with it .
I had to go through probate with both my parents even though there was a will.
You're below the threshold for inheritance tax, which is around £325,000 I think.
Sorry for your loss

Lost my Mum last year, she was in debt, had an IVA running and equity release, so was always going to be complicated and no question of needing a solicitor to sort it out for us. We used the same solicitors to deal with the sale of her property and handle probate, the sale cost just under £1k, and the probate and cost of notices etc was just under £4k, in our mind it was money well spent as everything was dealt with for us.
(05-26-2020, 08:12 AM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote: My Dad just recently passed away after a long illness. Imm an only child and his will leaves me as sole beneficiary. His total estate including his property is worth around 250k. Question is do I need probate? I have no idea of how to go about this. Thanks in advance.

I am so sorry for your loss, I recently lost my mom and I know how you are feeling.

In regards to probate if there is property involved yes you do, and please don't go to a solicitor mine wanted £1500.00 I did it for £300.00 ish.
I hope this helps.
Can I just echo Baggiegriff don't go to a solicitor for a straightforward case like this.Have just gone through the process myself. First step is to go to HMRC to get your inheritance tax exemption sorted which applies for estates under 325000
Plenty of good advice for you on here, I'm sorry for your loss. 
The only thing I would like to add is be prepared for a drawn out process. It normally takes months and with Covid issues it will be slowly slowly. Solicitors string out as long as they can and getting them to release funds can be a pain.