UK Covid death toll
Schools received an outline draft of a new set of proposals yesterday; this is with one day to go before the Christmas break-up and the intention is to implement them when students begin to return in January. They arrived at gone 5:00 pm, by which time the news was already reporting that there would be changes, although not exactly clear about what they would involve. The words draft and outline are pertinent here; 'sketchy' was how they were described by someone we know.

These proposals cover staggered returns, in-school testing (but only with parental consent) and arrangements for administering tests, handling and disposing of swabs; all brand new stuff to be resolved over what is supposed to be a shutdown.
The staggered return to school announced that day before the end of term with no plan in place for testing simply defies belief.

I am completely done with party politics after this.
They've lost control completely which in itself is driving the 'this is stupid, I'll do what I want' approach, because there is no logic to it at all and appears to be being made up on the hoof. The discussion around schools has been going on since June, it's simply madness that there isn't a coherent plan around it. And then you hear Gavin Williamson on tv and realise why there is no plan.
(12-18-2020, 03:26 PM)baggy1 Wrote: And then you hear Gavin Williamson on tv and realise why there is no plan.

Even his own constituency office are amazed he ever made the cabinet.
He made a cabinet?!
(12-18-2020, 03:26 PM)baggy1 Wrote: They've lost control completely which in itself is driving the 'this is stupid, I'll do what I want' approach, because there is no logic to it at all and appears to be being made up on the hoof. The discussion around schools has been going on since June, it's simply madness that there isn't a coherent plan around it. And then you hear Gavin Williamson on tv and realise why there is no plan.

Been saying this for weeks. From the moment Boris bumbled on about 'don't go to work, go to work if you need to blah blah blah' it has been a shambles in terms of logic and communication. When people are arguing about whether bloody scotch eggs are a meal in the middle of a pandemic then you just know things are out of control.

There are lots of dodgy things that have happened during this whole saga that may well come to light in years to come. As discussed previously there are people sitting at point A and point Z and a whole load more sat somewhere in between on Covid. However the utterly ever changing and bewildering lack of logic to some of the proceedings simply pours fuel on the fire for any person not simply accepting everything that is going on. You would have to be utterly devoid of any critical thinking skills to not question anything.
baggy1 Wrote:They've lost control completely which in itself is driving the 'this is stupid, I'll do what I want' approach, because there is no logic to it at all and appears to be being made up on the hoof. The discussion around schools has been going on since June, it's simply madness that there isn't a coherent plan around it. And then you hear Gavin Williamson on tv and realise why there is no plan.

There is a very good reason for that!
Just to stir the pot,  I've watched Channel 4 News tonight. Reporter in Wuhan where no one believes China has any responsibility at all. One suggested it was a legacy of the Games, another that it came from imported frozen food. All believe China has come out of this creditably. Some filming from just outside the city, outside The Wuhan Institute of Virology...…..you don't think???
Summing up the utterly shambolic nonsense that is the cabinet... 

Tier 4 anyone? I look forward to the West Midlands being added in the new year.
Week 50 figures for England and Wales released (to 11th December 2020) and another week with more deaths than normal, 1,542 against the 5YA and 1,104 more than 2019. Just for a bit more context the highest number of deaths in the corresponding week in the last 10 years was 2017 with 11,217 and we've hit 12,292 this year. Basically 10% higher than the worst year and there are still folk that say this is just normal flu season and they are recording Flu deaths as Covid. In fact if you take the worst corresponding week from any of the last 10 years and compare it with this year there are still more deaths this year and there are only 50 weeks counted.

So far this calendar year, compared to the 5YA, there are early 68k more deaths than normal in England and Wales. If you look at the period that Covid has been with us (from week 13 onwards) there has been 72,709 more deaths than average in a 38 week period.

The number of those in hospital in England is now at 16,526 (at 20th Dec) and still rising, the peak in April was 18,669.

There was a good description on BBC this morning saying that imagine being in a room with a smoker and where that smoke goes when you need to imagine how this spreads. Those of us old enough to have been in pubs, clubs and the workplace when smoking was allowed will tell you it gets everywhere, you only needed to smell your clothes after a night out to know that. Covid travels in the same way.

Keep safe folks and have as good a Christmas as you can! Sorry for bringing this depressing news week in week out - trust me it depresses me as well.