Brexit Gains 2
Come now, strawman. Derek is entitled to post anything that backs up his view regardless of it’s true or whether he has misheard it off the radio. I suppose you could ask how vehemently animal welfare is defended in the EU considering Spain, France and Portugal still allow bullfighting but people may find that spurious.
4.19. A non-regression clause means that are currently in place in the country exporting do not get worse, it does not bring them up to our standards.

4.20. This refers to discussions with the UK so that the Australian farming bodies improve their farming and exporting live animal practices. It suggests that they need educating in order to improve the standards. They are fully aware of the way that they treat animals in their farming and exporting and have no intention of improving them. I have a good friend who is heavily involved in highlighting the way that animals are treated in transit for export in Australia and they are shocking.

4.21. Import requirements do not bring the standard of Australian farming standards up to ours. https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidanc...ts-exports , they simply lay out the basic requirements for food safety.

What concerns me here is the need to defend something that is clearly wrong through obfuscation. None of the clauses highlighted actually point towards the need for Australia to improve their standards or match our own for imported goods. Either SM doesn’t understand what he has posted because he has cut and paste it from somewhere else, or he is so far down the rabbit hole that he feels the need to post anything as a defence.
(12-29-2021, 09:51 AM)Fido Wrote: Come now, strawman. Derek is entitled to post anything that backs up his view regardless of it’s true or whether he has misheard it off the radio. I suppose you could ask how vehemently animal welfare is defended in the EU considering Spain, France and Portugal still allow bullfighting but people may find that spurious

Link to Countryside.org.uk

Will this deal compromise the high standards of UK farming?
The government has been very clear that it will not compromise our high standards of animal welfare, environment and food safety in any of its trade deals.

Any substances and practices currently banned in the UK on food safety grounds will currently not be allowed into the UK. So, for example, while hormone-reared beef is produced in Australia it will not be imported into the UK as a result of this deal.

However, there are many other differences in environmental performance and animal welfare between Australia and UK that will not be addressed in this trade deal. For example,
  • Australia allows the transport of cattle and sheep over long distances across the country, meaning up to 48 hours without water. They also allow overseas boat journeys lasting up to a month. Here, the UK government plans to ban live animal exports this year.

• The Australian beef industry has also been linked to large-scale deforestation in Australia. For instance, a recent report found that more than 1.6 million hectares of forest had been cleared in Queensland in the five years up to 2018 and 73% of this was for beef production.
  • Over 60% of the cattle in Australia are on feedlots (grain-fed) with a capacity for over 10,000 animals. In England, the average size of a beef cattle herd is 27 animals and only 4% of beef farms here have more than 100 beef cows.

• Australian sugar producers are permitted to use 25 active substances that have been banned for any use in the UK due to environmental risks.
(12-29-2021, 09:51 AM)Fido Wrote: Come now, strawman. Derek is entitled to post anything that backs up his view regardless of it’s true or whether he has misheard it off the radio. I suppose you could ask how vehemently animal welfare is defended in the EU considering Spain, France and Portugal still allow bullfighting but people may find that spurious.

What this means is that UK farming standards will be maintained whilst being undercut by cheaper farming and transportation methods currently in place in Australia. The farmers are rightly concerned about this two tier operation where Australian meat will not be reared to the same standards that UK farmers have to abide by meaning they can sell their meat cheaper, and also the resulting impact of having lower standard meat available ending up on our tables.

Spanish bullfighting tends not to have a direct impact on the food on our plates or the undercutting of UK farmers in the market.
Despite the ongoing horror of the Brexit catastrophe we've inflicted upon ourselves, I had to allow myself a chuckle when Ms. Batters from the NFU and some random farmer were featured on Today earlier in the week. Absolutely on board with all of their comments, thoroughly unimpressed with George Useless as he evaded tricky questions. But, if you arranged a line-up of 100 farmers and 100 fishermen, you'd find 80% of them voted Leave.

And I'm still waiting for Countryfile to re-visit those three pig farming sisters in Yorkshire who voted Leave and then found that the business their retired (Remain voting) father had built up would be irreparably damaged by the trading restrictions.
(12-29-2021, 12:11 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Despite the ongoing horror of the Brexit catastrophe we've inflicted upon ourselves, I had to allow myself a chuckle when Ms. Batters from the NFU and some random farmer were featured on Today earlier in the week. Absolutely on board with all of their comments, thoroughly unimpressed with George Useless as he evaded tricky questions. But, if you arranged a line-up of 100 farmers and 100 fishermen, you'd find 80% of them voted Leave.

And I'm still waiting for Countryfile to re-visit those three pig farming sisters in Yorkshire who voted Leave and then found that the business their retired (Remain voting) father had built up would be irreparably damaged by the trading restrictions.

At least we'll be able to implement a more flexible version of CAP now that we've left to account for environmental protection and sustainable farming.

What's that? Our CAP reforms due to be introduced in 204 (from what I've been told more like 2028 with a 4 year funding gap) are near identical to the EU's CAP reforms that are to be introduced in 2023?
Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:Despite the ongoing horror of the Brexit catastrophe we've inflicted upon ourselves, I had to allow myself a chuckle when Ms. Batters from the NFU and some random farmer were featured on Today earlier in the week. Absolutely on board with all of their comments, thoroughly unimpressed with George Useless as he evaded tricky questions. But, if you arranged a line-up of 100 farmers and 100 fishermen, you'd find 80% of them voted Leave.

Yes, it really is about time those that voted to harm virtually all of us by voting leave were made accountable for their actions.

In an ideal and fair world we could impose a 'Brexit' tax on just them !!!  Smile
Any yet ?
Still searching. 

[Image: FH4EOFbWYAk5d8Q?format=jpg&name=small]
And now this: https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...-abolished

No tariffs between the EU and the US on Steel or Aluminium exports, unfortunately we have still got the tariffs in place even if we sell to the EU for them to sell on. We are starting negotiations this month.