Home Insurance.
(11-11-2022, 05:30 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: A bit of caution in moving home insurance around and why it tends to go up with your current insurance company.

A new company's liability starts on the day your insure from them so if you have any underlying problems such as land slippage or a slow leak you'll find that you're not insured if they can reasonably prove the event started before you were insured with them. 

That's ok I'll just go back to the company I was previously insured with...?  Well if you've moved around a lot which one because they can't date it so precisely and secondly you will have a claim cut-off date which you may well have expired.

The longer you stay with a company the higher the risk that you may find a legacy issue dating back a couple of years that they're still liable for which had you moved around they could have wriggled out of paying.

That's not altogether correct. About 20 years ago I made a claim for subsidence due to collapsed drains on an investment we'd bought in Yorkshire. The current insurance company will scream like a titty babby about paying out, but what usually happens is that they share liability with previous insurer(s) subject to a surveyors report. We got payments from three insurers.

(11-11-2022, 04:16 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: I'm sure any increase in premiums would be passed on in whole to your tenants ... it's the Conservative thing to do innit?

No, I just write the cost of the insurance off against tax leading to the inevitable collapse of the NHS.