Your music taste. Has it
(05-17-2020, 05:20 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 05:12 PM)Bartley_baggie Wrote: My sister was four years older than me and late sixties she played a lot of Motown and Sax type soul which is where I got my love of soul and Motown from, then I got my “own” music Ska and Reggae before moving on to Sabbath/Free stuff while still liking previous music. 
Next came Philly sound and Rafferty, these days I just dig into any of these types plus Dylan, Neil Diamond Oasis , come to think of it there’s not much I don’t like (apart from Queen,U2,Prince and Rap) Big Grin

I haven’t forgotten to have favourite song by........ U2, to complete your set of hated bands / artists  Big Grin
Shit, thought you’d forgotten,back to shed it is then!
(05-17-2020, 05:12 PM)Bartley_baggie Wrote: My sister was four years older than me and late sixties she played a lot of Motown and Sax type soul which is where I got my love of soul and Motown from, then I got my “own” music Ska and Reggae before moving on to Sabbath/Free stuff while still liking previous music. 
Next came Philly sound and Rafferty, these days I just dig into any of these types plus Dylan, Neil Diamond Oasis , come to think of it there’s not much I don’t like (apart from Queen,U2,Prince and Rap) Big Grin

I like your hates.
Yep. I always had a random taste due to older cousins being around AOTS. Through Dylan I got Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, through school I got Ska and from that Reggae. Through being young and starting to go out I loved Motown and Soul. It all changed when punk blew everything else away. Tribally, I hated all those longhair bands.
Now I've got time for it all. Love some Floyd, respect the innovations of Sabbath and Zepelin. But mostly I've learned to like a bit of folk, especially the Americana versions and listen of late mostly to the U.S. stuff.
I moved on from my teens and early 20s stuff but have started to revisit it over the last couple of years. Probably another of my many mid-life crises. It's actually made me realise that I had amazing taste as a young-un...
My first record when I was about 7 was Rasputin by Boney M LOL

A couple of years later I was listening to Madness Specials UB40 and similar unremarkable bands, then a couple of years later ‘Street Sounds’ Electro compilations started circulating around Secondary school, then from 87 it was pretty much House music only for me for the next 6 or 7 years, from Acid through to Jungle and everything in between, I even got payed for being involved in the scene.

Nowadays I find myself listening to all the stuff I ignored most of my life, and have a sad obsession with listening to Classic Rock stations from across the pond on TuneIn

My first record when I was about 7 was Rasputin by Boney M LOL

A couple of years later I was listening to Madness Specials UB40 and similar unremarkable bands, then a couple of years later ‘Street Sounds’ Electro compilations started circulating around Secondary school, then from 87 it was pretty much House music only for me for the next 6 or 7 years, from Acid through to Jungle and everything in between, I even got payed for being involved in the scene.

Nowadays I find myself listening to all the stuff I ignored most of my life, and have a sad obsession with listening to Classic Rock stations from across the pond on TuneIn
not really

I always remember the first record (45) I was given by my dad - Alan price - Simon Smith and his amazing dancing Bear - I only recently I realised he played keyboards in the Animals who released I got to get out of this place - a song always associated by many with the Vietnam war - and also covered by the Angelic Upstarts. Funny old world.
(05-17-2020, 04:37 PM)Duffers Wrote: Taste has expanded hugely, I was a teenager during the 90’s so basically grew up listening to the likes of Oasis, Blur and Pulp and believing anything else was either shit or just not worth my time.

Still listen to all that stuff but that’s just a part of what I listen to these days. I have a lot of hip hop, heavier rock and even pop in my rotations these days. Go to a much more diverse range of gigs too.

I imagine it’s the same for most people though. You become a lot more open minded as you get older.

This!!!
(05-17-2020, 07:29 PM)igorbalis Wrote: not really

I always remember the first record (45) I was given by my dad - Alan price - Simon Smith and his amazing dancing Bear - I only recently I realised he played keyboards in the Animals who released I got to get out of this place - a song always associated by many with the Vietnam war - and also covered by the Angelic Upstarts. Funny old world.

House of the rising sun is probably the most famous song by the animals.
Always been very eclectic. Not changed much over the tyears tbh.
I was a teenager at a truly brilliant time musically late 70s to 85. Saw punk, mods, new wave, ska, New Romantics.
Felt mainstream charts went really shit late 80s.
Love the old stuff from my youth still and play it regularly, but have bought heaps of CDs in the 90s and 00s. Now there’s Spotify, which has meant I haven’t bought a CD for several years.
Find myself nostalgically listening to the much loved bands of my youth like Simple Minds and Tears for Fears, but wouldn’t pick up a Travis cd now, as the music from your youth burns into your soul.
Generally now though listen to ambient electro stuff and new composers as I have Spotify on as I work.
Stuff like Olafur Arnolds, an Icelandic composer.
Music really is a huge part of me though for sure. I have a very wide taste, but hip hop etc really leaves me perplexed. Each to their own but find it utter shite.