Ratings...
(09-22-2019, 08:45 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Agree with OP except score for Sawyers. 8 for me. The fulcrum of our team. Composed on the ball, he always seemed to be in the right place to collect Huddersfield's clearances in the second half - and OH!! that pass inside the LB in the first half. It was outstanding.

Thing with Sawyers is that he set such high standards in his first few games, anything other than perfection will see him drop a point or two.

Agree some of his passes today were excellent, but he got caught a few times and was a little sloppier than previous games IMO.
I'd rate Furlong as a 9 apart from a couple of poor crosses he never put a foot wrong and for him to pop up with the 2nd goal was just the icing on the cake.

Oh how I long for Paul Holmes or Andy McDermott  Tongue
At times I've felt Sawyers has been OK for us, not great, but people see the pass stats and think he's ripping things up, not today though, very good for me, looked for more incisive forward passes and was the heart beat of us getting back into the game, played with far more energy and made us tick, credit to him today

Marks for me

SJ - 7
Furlong 9*
Semi 8
Barltley 7
Ferguson 7

Livermore 7
Sawyers 8

Perrera 8
Fillipe 5
Phillips 8

Austin 7

Subs

Grady 8
HRK/Kenneth 6

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
Johnstone 7.... Morons around me in ES upper would have given him 2

Furlong 8
Ajayi 7
Bartley 5
Ferguson 7

Livermore 7
sawyers 8

Krov 5
Phillips 8
Pereira 7

Austin 7

Diang 8
Zohore 6.... Was lively
HRK 6

Crowd. The 2 they would have given SJ. One behind me even wished he had a gun so he could shoot the useless Villa cnut. Shocking.

Don’t know what it’s going to take to get the crowd truly onside & backing the team. Boo boys too prevalent. It’s Wolvesesque from their old championship sides when favourites & hindered their promotion hopes for years. Needs to stop.
Bartley was poor yesterday imo. He was sloppy and his concentration was lacking. If he wants to keep his shirt from Hegazi then he's going to have to step it up pronto imo.

Also I think Austin had his best game for us. He seemed much fitter and tested the keeper well. He'll get his goal soon enough and they will then start to flow. He worked his nuts off yesterday and I like his attitude.
(09-23-2019, 06:20 AM)Peachy Wrote: Bartley was poor yesterday imo. He was sloppy and his concentration was lacking. If he wants to keep his shirt from Hegazi then he's going to have to step it up pronto imo.

Also I think Austin had his best game for us. He seemed much fitter and tested the keeper well. He'll get his goal soon enough and they will then start to flow. He worked his nuts off yesterday and I like his attitude.

Can’t agree. Bartley was solid again yesterday other than the obvious mistake. I think he’s been great this season.
Strange match. First half was awful, we lacked tempo, aggression, energy and work rate for the large part. Second half (post changes) that all changed. We pressed higher, we got our defensive line up to the half way line and never let them get a foot hold. The 4-2 score line flattered us somewhat, and I think until Hudd' lost some discipline we didn't really look like getting a result. But in the end our quality from the bench and experience in the middle of the pitch got us through. Ratins are difficult as it was a game spit into 2 sections. 55 mins of abject mediocracy and 35mins playing as we all know we can. I will average it out where possible.

Ratings:

Johnstone - 7 - A couple of shaky moments on the ball, but solid and composed goal keeping.

Furlong - 9 - MOTM, could have been a 10 but for a few poor deliveries. Very athletic, great energy and seems a snip for just over a million quid.
Ajayi - 7- Will be captain if or when Jake leaves. Missed a few challenges early on and seems to have a bit of a 50p head at time, a bit like Curtis Davies did.
Bartley - 6- Solid except for that one pass.
Ferguson - 7 - Solid defensively, struggles offensively, especially on he left. Will become a fantastic full back in time and needs signing to a long term contract.

Sawyers - 6 - I actually thought he was poor for the large part. Seems too languid and lacked any authority on the game. A couple of great passes but all in all a passenger, lucky to come out second half.
Livermore - 7 - Solid, dependable and fantastically boring.

Phillips - 8 - Scored 2 great goals but at times drifted out of the game. Needs to work on attacking the back post more often as when he does he is a realy handful with his size and power. His running power really does help us get up the pitch and also supports the fullback.
Krovinovic - 6 - Felt a touch sorry for him. He was always making angles for a pass but never had anybody trust him enough to ping it in to him. Eventually he kept drifting wide to try and get in the game and left us short in and around the box. When he plays we need to get players close to him as he has the ability to pop off little one-twos and create space in tight areas.
Perreira - 6 - Poor. Awful dive (should be retrospectively banned), never got at his man and seemed to get bullied by the Hudds midfield. Would rest him next game.

Austin - 7 - Worked really hard ala JRod. Made space for others with some very clever runs and held the ball up well. The goals will come.

Subs:

Grady - 8 - Pace and trickery. Really helped us turn the game around, and his 2 assists show this.
Zahore - 7 - Stretched them and put himself about. Had a couple of half chances that he snatched at but all in all a good showing.
HRK - 6 - Did what HRK does. Ran around a lot, held it up. Didn't let us down. Always has a role to play.

Fans - 2 - Fucking awful atmosphere, really need them to help the team when they are flat.

Slav - 8 - Needs to address the slow starts, but really does make good changes, something we haven't had since SOW.
(09-22-2019, 03:44 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Today showed one of the key things we were missing last season - Bilic. 

I thought he got it totally wrong at kick off, and as if scarred by Fulham's dominance of our midfield last week dropped Krov in when it he wasn't required. With Periera lost out wide, everything had to go down the right, and whilst Phillips and Furlong did their best, it was too easy for Hudds to deal with, and once they got their lead(s) they were happy to close down space and force us to play around between our midfield 3 and patiently await an error.

Bringing Diangana on opened everything up, Periera's passing found space between their lines which Grady and Phillips could exploit, and with Saywers and Livermore focusing on mopping up their midfield and knowing our attacking trio would do the rest we always looked like winning. When Periera, Phillips and Diangana are playing as a trio, there isn't a team in this division who will live with them... they simply have to start when they're all available.  Krov-Liv-Sawyers should only be used away from home against sides who'll dominate possession.

For spells today we played some excellent football, and stuck at it against a side that were dogged, but just not that good. What really impressed me was the variety of our set pieces... The short corner for Furlong's goal and then the long one for Ajayi's were really well worked. It's really good to see us adding goals from these scenarios again.

Only frustration was that again we gifted the opposition their goals. We have to cut out these errors as we can't keep getting away with it. For all his good work, I think Bartley showed today why Hegazi needs to come in when fit. He just has too many lapses, and very nearly gifted them a third whilst staring at the bench instead of watching the game.

Johnstone - 7 - No chance with the two goals, distributed well, looks to be growing in confidence despite the boo-boys on his back.

Ferguson - 8 - What a player this lad could be. Does all the simple things right and seems to love defending.
Bartley - 6.5 - Neat and tidy, but one big lapse for their goal, and nearly another.
Ajayi - 8 - Getting better with every game
Furlong - 8.5 - As above

Livermore - 7 - seemed a bit leggy today, but raised his game second half. Think he's better suited to games without Krov, where he has more responsibility to get forward and exploit space FK is usually occupying
Sawyers - 7 - Wasn't as composed as usual - a few sloppy passes, but otherwise what you'd expect.

Phillips - 9 MOTM - Thought he was excellent again today - constant menace, 2 goals and could have had more. 
Krov - 6 - First half passed him by, was the right decision to swap him
Periera - 8 - Sublime footballer. Need him through the middle as teams can't live with him.

Austin - 6.5 - Tried hard, but again no goal. Unlucky not to open his account early on, and the keeper made a decent save late on. Shame his best header of the game was the one he put into the Halfords!

Diangana - 8 - Changed the game! Telling every West Ham fan I know he's shit and definitely needs to stay on loan with us, or better yet join permanently... 
Zohore & HRK 6 - did what they had to do to manage out the game.

Slav - 8 - Got it wrong first half, but was brave with his changes and turned it round!

Good summary