Grand National
As a nipper, our local Grand National was to run through the front gardens in Brook Street, Woodsetton, from top to bottom.

I haven't got the knees for it now.
Many local street Grand National's were run. With the threats of I know where you live you little bleeders.
Does the Blackpool Pleasure Beach still have the GN rollercoaster?
(04-08-2021, 07:24 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Many local street Grand National's were run. With the threats of I know where you live you little bleeders.
Does the Blackpool Pleasure Beach still have the GN rollercoaster?

It's still going strong. A classic!
As France has barred me ATM when the pubs settle down I will come over and settle my debts. Big Grin
Arthur Road Tipton was a classic, till some grumpy old bastard put barbed wire through the middle of his privet.
Luckily it was not my danglers that got snagged, but just witnessing it alone put me off for life!
Lack of Privet hedges and increased car ownership has clearly killed off this traditional sport.
(04-08-2021, 07:53 AM)Bob Fossil Wrote: Arthur Road Tipton was a classic, till some grumpy old bastard put barbed wire through the middle of his privet.
Luckily it was not my danglers that got snagged, but just witnessing it alone put me off for life!

Was the course away from or towards UCL?
(04-08-2021, 07:06 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: As a nipper, our local Grand National was to run through the front gardens in Brook Street, Woodsetton, from top to bottom.

I haven't got the knees for it now.

Grand National you say. 

I told you I’ll be back
Sad 
(04-08-2021, 08:24 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 07:53 AM)Bob Fossil Wrote: Arthur Road Tipton was a classic, till some grumpy old bastard put barbed wire through the middle of his privet.

Was the course away from or towards UCL?

Up, bottom to top.
It was a test on the hamstrings I can tell ya! You would need to be a gazelle to do it now though as they all have cars and drives. ?
(04-08-2021, 08:20 AM)MrFizz Wrote: Lack of Privet hedges and increased car ownership has clearly killed off this traditional sport.

Sadly true. My favourite track was Water Orton Road from Park Hall school down to The Farthings pub in Castle Brom.

That stretch had it all; privet, conifers, low fences, a brick wall to the gully at Ronald Grove and even a water jump over a pond. Drive up there these days and it's all been replaced by cheap concrete block paving and horrible Korean SUVs.