School Dinners
(10-22-2020, 11:41 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: With regards to food prices, since March 2017 food price inflation has been increasing consistently and when you account for the greater numbers that will fall into the free school meal threshold due to an increase in unemployment and falling wages on top of those already below the threshold being subject to potential unemployment or wage cuts then it becomes pretty obvious that the relative cost of food will increase on top of likely food price rises after December 2020.

I'm sorry, food price inflation has been negligible and even negative for a decade - that is a fact. Quality food has never been cheaper nor more plentiful.

I'm also struggling with the whole idea of children being hungry en mass when 20% of year 6 kids are obese, with the prevalence of obesity being twice as high in the most deprived areas. I suppose it does have relevance to affordablity if say, you buy your child a bag of crisps (40p) rather than an apple (13p).
(10-22-2020, 10:31 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Having worked in a city homelessness and benefits advice unit during a recession I've seen abject poverty up close and personal. In the vast vast majority of cases parents still manage to feed themselves and their kids.

If you find a (literally) "starving kid" you'll find a multiplicity of child neglect. How giving a feckless parent a food voucher is going to stop that I don't know.

It is not unreasonable to expect parents to feed their kids.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in those meetings.

"have you tried...not being poor?"
(10-22-2020, 03:32 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 10:31 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Having worked in a city homelessness and benefits advice unit during a recession I've seen abject poverty up close and personal. In the vast vast majority of cases parents still manage to feed themselves and their kids.

If you find a (literally) "starving kid" you'll find a multiplicity of child neglect. How giving a feckless parent a food voucher is going to stop that I don't know.

It is not unreasonable to expect parents to feed their kids.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in those meetings.

"have you tried...not being poor?"

"I told you all to buy gold and none of you listened"

Twat.
Ok - giving government money to Tory donors by overpaying for PPE, consultancy services, test & trace

Not ok - giving government money to let hungry kids eat
(10-22-2020, 09:48 PM)Loanee Wrote: Ok - giving government money to Tory donors by overpaying for PPE, consultancy services, test & trace

Not ok - giving government money to let hungry kids eat

In a nutshell. It seems nothing animates and angers a Tory MP more than a campaign for free school meals for children during holiday periods during a pandemic.
I think it's wrong DH but if any of those parents with fags hanging out of their mouth or got alcohol in them they need the kids taken off them it's symply NEGLECT not one excuse for it.... it has made me feel sick that as a parent I coukd see hungry kids with their belly rumbling.
Good to see lots of local businesses stepping up to support the most vulnerable. I hope the Albion can step up and offer something to those in need of meals in Sandwell.

Rashford and the goodwill of the people showing the Government how it should be done.
Members dining room options this week:

I love the pricing ensures those underfed MPs can do their maths and get a 3 course meal within their allowance so they can claim it back.

On the other side of the coin if you're spending your money on fags, booze, PCP payments on a nice motor and sending your kids to school hungry....
(10-23-2020, 08:59 AM)billybassett Wrote: Members dining room options this week:

I love the pricing ensures those underfed MPs can do their maths and get a 3 course meal within their allowance so they can claim it back.

On the other side of the coin if you're spending your money on fags, booze, PCP payments on a nice motor and sending your kids to school hungry....
Yep, I always get infuriated about MPs having subsidised restaurants and drinking dens in Westminster and do they need so many.
 Why do they get meals allowance anyway. I took home-made sarnies to work everyday, the ingredients of which were, paid for, full price, out of my wages.

(10-23-2020, 08:59 AM)billybassett Wrote: Members dining room options this week:

Yep, I always get infuriated about MPs having subsidised restaurants and drinking dens in Westminster and do they need so many.
 Why do they get meals allowance anyway. I took home-made sarnies to work everyday, the ingredients of which were, paid for, full price, out of my wages.

To the final point - If you’re spending your money on rent, bills, school uniform etc & struggle to put food on the table then you are deserving of support