Paul Merson...
I was fortunate to spend a few days in his company in Croatia last year, and found him to be a genuine, friendly, humble bloke! Not the sharpest knife in the box, and he accepts that, but genuinely remorseful for his past "playboy" antics, Paul was like  many other young working class lads of that era, who found their fortune was in their feet, not between their ears. Paul for me was a wonderful player, possibly neck and neck with Giggsy, in their day, both "artistes" in their role. To see him threatened and almost brought to tears by that uncouth, piss artist Ruddock  was an absolute disgrace, Ruddock should have been took outside, shoved in a cattle truck with his missus, and sent back home to face his debts, minus his reputed £100k "fee".
He was in tears. He was crying his eyes out!
Merse always seems like a decent guy. Thick as two short planks but don't think that should be held against him. Has bravely fought very public battles against addictions and talks very honestly about it.
(05-21-2020, 12:11 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote: Merse always seems like a decent guy. Thick as two short planks but don't think that should be held against him. Has bravely fought very public battles against addictions and talks very honestly about it.
If you ever want a good read try Niall Quinn's autobiography. He was involved in the Arsenal drinking club and Merson was told to avoid Quinn, when he tried to recover.
I'd say Quinn's autobiography is possibly the best football book I've read. Extremely funny.
Good bit too about shoving that ex Seal McMahon through a plate glass window in a pre-season visit to one of the Spanish islands.
(05-21-2020, 12:20 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 12:11 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote: Merse always seems like a decent guy. Thick as two short planks but don't think that should be held against him. Has bravely fought very public battles against addictions and talks very honestly about it.
If you ever want a good read try Niall Quinn's autobiography. He was involved in the Arsenal drinking club and Merson was told to avoid Quinn, when he tried to recover.
I'd say Quinn's autobiography is possibly the best football book I've read. Extremely funny.
Good bit too about shoving that ex Seal McMahon through a plate glass window in a pre-season visit to one of the Spanish islands.

Cheers Spand. I'd not got Quinn down as a big drinker. Doesn't look like one. I'll have a look out for his autobiog
(05-21-2020, 12:22 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote:

Cheers Spand. I'd not got Quinn down as a big drinker. Doesn't look like one. I'll have a look out for his autobiog

Erm, isn't he Oirish?  Smile

Whether you deem this as prejudicial/unconscious racism or what I don't know but I've had a couple of Irish doctors over the last few yeas and if they said I need to cut down on booze I took that rule to the bank...
(05-21-2020, 10:54 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: I was fortunate to spend a few days in his company in Croatia last year, and found him to be a genuine, friendly, humble bloke! Not the sharpest knife in the box, and he accepts that, but genuinely remorseful for his past "playboy" antics, Paul was like  many other young working class lads of that era, who found their fortune was in their feet, not between their ears. Paul for me was a wonderful player, possibly neck and neck with Giggsy, in their day, both "artistes" in their role. To see him threatened and almost brought to tears by that uncouth, piss artist Ruddock  was an absolute disgrace, Ruddock should have been took outside, shoved in a cattle truck with his missus, and sent back home to face his debts, minus his reputed £100k "fee".

Spot on, Ferenc. I've also met Merson, albeit briefly. He was in a pub in Sutton and clearly keeping dubious company for someone trying to stop drinking.  As you say, a decent lad but with a problem. Merse was a footballer, I wouldn't sat the same about Ruddock.
Never liked Ruddock, a useless lump who was hugely over-rated because of the sides he played in. My favourite line from the Harry's Heroes thing? Merse said to him, "Of course you were pissed. You sat there with a bra on your head. Go on, put a bra on your head now!"
(05-21-2020, 12:22 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote:

The book is a very good read, but Quinn is indeed a colossal drinker. His exploits turn up in Shay Given's autobiography too.

The best footballer book is Massively Violent and Decidedly Average by Lee Howey, which is very funny indeed.
Without a doubt a combined Irish team, and they'd easy get a squad, would walk (or stagger) a World Cup for drinking !!
ps Anybody seen Danny Hegan lately ? Big Grin