25 years ago today.
(03-12-2021, 09:20 PM)keef Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 08:46 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 10:40 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I was having this conversation in a FB group a few weeks ago. Sneekes was unleashed for that part season when I think I went to 11 of those 13. Neither Buckley nor any of the managers that followed ever played him in the same role again - a bit like Kevin Donovan after Ardiles left.

That early goal at Filbert Street still sticks in my mind as his best, against a terrific Leicester side that went on to be promoted.

You are slowly gravitating from politics to football I've noticed...

(03-12-2021, 09:20 PM)keef Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 08:46 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 10:40 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I was having this conversation in a FB group a few weeks ago. Sneekes was unleashed for that part season when I think I went to 11 of those 13. Neither Buckley nor any of the managers that followed ever played him in the same role again - a bit like Kevin Donovan after Ardiles left.

That early goal at Filbert Street still sticks in my mind as his best, against a terrific Leicester side that went on to be promoted.

You are slowly gravitating from politics to football I've noticed...
 he might of noticed nobody was taking any notice on him there Big Grin

He's talked pap on that side long enough so he may as well join us on on nere!  Big Grin
That Watford match was odd but I have never seen a crowd take to a debutatnte the way they did Sneekes. Then he either set-up or scored and the crowd was going crazy for him.

I felt for Super Bob, he should have left the pitch carrying the ball to a standing ovation, as it was, the team was booed off.

Others have hit the nail, with the underrated Peter Butler behind him sitting, Sneekes was phenomenal. The nxt season he had to sit a bit more to accommodate the supposed attacking instincts of Groves. There may also have been other teams getting wise to Sneekes's runs from deep, but there was more than one occasion when he made such a run and Mr Groves didn't even look up and passed it sideways.

Groves probably wasn't actually that bad. It's just that he wasn't that good either. Buckley raved on about him and his desperation to get him here, anyone would think he was Socrates instead of a substandard Ian Hamilton. (That is not a knocking of Hamilton at all, I thought he was decent for us and unfairly maligned at times.)

Would have been interesting to see Sneekes in a proper Number 10 role; I think at second tier level he'd have been phenomenal.